[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm pretty terrified right now, here's the situation:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

File: Feilich spider image.jpg (22KB, 435x323px) Image search: [Google]
Feilich spider image.jpg
22KB, 435x323px
I'm pretty terrified right now, here's the situation:

I just found a large widow in her nest on the pedals of my bicycle (which I keep in my room). How the fuck did it get there?

Context: I live in an apartment in southern California and I always keep my windows shut. The front door is a long way from my room. I haven't ridden my bike in a week, so I don't think it could have come back in on the bike...could it have? What is the likelihood that the black widow stowed away on my bike? It's been a week since I took it outside, and I don't know if the spider could have survived that long. There aren't many other ways to get into my room. I had to kill her unfortunately as I have two cats that could be at risk.

Should I still be concerned? I feel like I can't trust my bike anymore. Huge arachniphobe by the way. What can I do to set my mind at ease
>>
>>2374403
they usually live in packs, you need to get your house fumigated.
>>
>>2374403
It probably got there one of three ways...it was born there, it crawled in, or it came in on you or something you own. Logic is wonderful...
>>
These things are known to bite in your sleep so until you can get someone in there to clean up I would probably avoid your room if I were you
>>
>>2374403
I dont mean to frighten you OP but no apartment is completely safe from the crawlies, found a centipede in my apartment the other day and im on the second floor. It's likely she crawled in and thought "Well this seems like a nice place to lays some eggs". Fortunately Widows are solitary spiders and live alone, she already mated so there shouldn't be any issues of males trying to find her.
>>
>>2374472
Literally just this. Why did you even feel the need to make a thread about this? Do you panic at every single thing you see in your room that wasn't put there by you?
>>
When I was 7 years old I was drying myself off after taking a shower. I felt a tingling sensation in the middle of my back. Looking over my shoulder, I saw a large black widow crawling up my back. I screamed and panicked and flung it off. My dad caught or killed it. It must have been hanging out in the towels on the rack.

I never developed arachnophobia or a an apprehension of spiders, but to this day, well into my 30's, she still occasionally visits me in my dreams to slowly crawl up and down my naked body.
>>
>>2374480
Considering the thing in question is venomous and getting bit by it would be very painful and potentially lethal, I don't think this is too much of an overreaction.
>>
File: I'll always be with you.jpg (35KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
I'll always be with you.jpg
35KB, 600x337px
>>2374523
>>
>>2374538
Black widow bites are mostly minor to medium to a full grown human (barring an individual's sensitivity resistance to the venom that is), its when a child is bitten is when you have tot really worry, or in the case of OP; small animals such as cats.
>>
>>2374538
>Potentially lethal

No. To his cats, maybe.
>>
>>2374570
>>2374573
I'm not saying it's likely, but since it can indeed happen, I don't know why you fucks are expecting OP to just be chill about it.
Normal people freak out over bees in the house because they can sting, let alone a black widow.
>>
>>2374580
Just because they're not lethal to adult humans doesn't mean widow bites won't ruin your day. Their venom is strong enough to make life suck for a little while. I don't get it either. It would fucking suck. You don't want them in your house.
>>
>>2374580
I'm not saying he should build a shrine of honor around his bike and let the spiders thrive there, but this thread's still retarded because he's basically just asking "how did they get there?". They're fucking animals and they have legs and you don't live in a vacuum chamber. If a black widow's the weirdest thing that's ever entered your house then consider yourself lucky.
>>
Catch it, put it in a jar and fees it bugs. Don't let it lay eggs, though.
>>
File: rofl.jpg (146KB, 912x642px) Image search: [Google]
rofl.jpg
146KB, 912x642px
>>2374465
>>2374471
>>2374523
>>
>>2374585
>If a black widow's the weirdest thing that's ever entered your house then consider yourself lucky.
Just to straighten things out; whats the weirdest thing that's entered your house? I live in Sweden/Norway and I've never had anything weird entering any of my houses. The occasional bee or wasp, and like once a small bird, sure. But I too would be worried about a Black Widow in my house, OP.
>>
OP here with an update, in case anyone was curious. It gets worse.

I picked up some bug bomb from home depot just to be safe, but I didn't expect it to be necessary. I was cleaning my room today as a precaution and lo and behold, there was a baby widow setting up a nest next to my dresser. Got the cats out of the house and gassed the place. Hopefully it got them all. RIP, motherfuckers.
>>
>>2374403
>southern California
Learn to live with them. There's about one black widow for every 10 square feet. Compare that to how often you hear about widow bites. They're less dangerous than dogs.

Guaranteed you pass within inches of dozens of widows every day and never notice them. This one had the bad fortune to set up shop where you could see it.
>>
>>2375191
This>>2375204

Spiders are fairly common and extremely good at hiding, you will never know how many of them there really are.

Good luck sleeping now.
>>
>>2375346
They do come out of hiding at night. When the lights have been out for several hours and the room is still they explore the house. Most dreams of spiders are your subconscious mind warning you there are actual spiders crawling over your sleeping body. If you've ever awoken with a sore throat, it's probably because you had your mouth open when a spider was crawling over your face. Not that people should be freaked out about it. They don't really see sleeping humans as a threat, so they rarely bite them.
>>
>>2374472
you know that centipede came in your house to eat the spiders and roaches right?
>>
>>2374585

Another SoCal person. We actually don't get to see much in the way of insects (or any fauna for that matter- most of the area is a series of suburbs). A black widow is a big deal when you only get to see a few pest bugs or friendly neighborhood daddy longlegs.
>>
>>2375191
OP do you never clean your room? I understand the bike situation but next to your dresser? Don't you use it every day to get clothes?

I worked over the summer at a job where I had to occasionally clear traps of black widows. They're more likely to cower away if you break up their nest but overall just play it safe. I would use a nearby stick and use a circling motion to get some of its web caught, then wrap the spider around the web and toss the fuck out of the resulting angry spider stick.

Good luck op.

>>2374585

>If a black widow's the weirdest thing that's ever entered your house then consider yourself lucky.

You probably don't live in the US if you see crazier shit than a black widow in your house.
>>
>>2375364
Everything you just said is nonsense. By that logic my Better Call Saul dream last night meant that Bob Odenkirk was nearby. And it's an urban myth that people commonly swallow spiders in their sleep, not only are spiders smart enough to avoid giant moving gaping wet holes, but any light sleeper would have woken up with a spider in their mouth.
>>
>>2375554
You're right. It never happens. People never wake up from a spider crawling across them in their sleep. Sex dreams about Bob Odenkirk, on the other hand, are very common.
>>
>>2374403

Disregard it. Black widows don't normally come into areas that are climate controlled. It was a fluke. Don't let it get to you. Now, if it was a brown recluse, then you'd have problems. Black widows? Nah.
>>
>>2374523
>she still occasionally visits me in my dreams to slowly crawl up and down my naked body.

This is not your personal erotica forum.
>>
>>2375143
>whats the weirdest thing that's entered your house?

True story, one day I came home and found my front door open because one of the kids forgot to lock it I guess. Found some little girl in my bedroom - maybe 7 or 8. She was just standing there staring at my dresser. I set her up with some goldfish crackers and called the police. Probably the most terrifying thing I've ever had in my house. Try explaining that to anyone. You have a better chance of your life getting ended by that situation than a venomous spider.
>>
>>2374403
I feel like I should point out that these normally aren't a threat to humans.

As web using spiders, they tend to be passive and reclusive, and they only bite humans after a lot of provocation.

Since you have cats, however, your concern is pretty well grounded.
>>
>>2375747
Nice stand up routine I kekd
>>
File: 1405763176853.jpg (60KB, 500x477px) Image search: [Google]
1405763176853.jpg
60KB, 500x477px
>>2374480
>>2374573
>>2374585
>>2375204
>>2375554
>>
>>2374403
I come to this board just to read about city folk scared shirtless of the natural world.
>>
>By that logic my Better Call Saul dream last night meant that Bob Odenkirk was nearby.
No, it means you regularly browse reddit.
>>
>>2374403

>I live in California

There ya go

>But

Nope.
>>
Dude I'm in northern California and my backyard is a breeding ground for black widows. Just fucking smack them you pussy.
>>
File: funny looking cat.jpg (611KB, 682x1122px) Image search: [Google]
funny looking cat.jpg
611KB, 682x1122px
>>2375143
I had pic related come in my room years ago and posted the pictures on /b/, I think this was actually before /an/ existed. He didn't want to leave either, I lured him outside with some ham which was grabbed and he immediately turned around to come back in.
>>
>>2374570
I know a guy who got bit by a widow on his shoulder moving furniture off a truck. Older guy but pretty healthy. Was in the hospital for over a week and for 3 days he was delerious and remembers nothing.
>>
>>2376171
kek
>>
>>2379039
> Older people are susceptible too, perhaps shouldn't have worded it minor-medium. They can fuck you up but are not lethal unless you are a small child, animal or elderly person.
>>
Does a spider have puss puss?
>>
>>2374403
It has already laid eggs under your skin
>>
File: 1358466790920.jpg (70KB, 967x642px) Image search: [Google]
1358466790920.jpg
70KB, 967x642px
>>2374403
>I had to kill her unfortunately
>unfortunately
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.