[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the best books/videos for training dogs? I'll be

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 566.jpg (245KB, 1287x960px) Image search: [Google]
566.jpg
245KB, 1287x960px
What are the best books/videos for training dogs? I'll be getting 2 blue heeler puppies in about a month to help me out on a small farm.

My biggest fear tends to be them chasing other peoples cattle and getting shot.
>>
as with other herding dogs, one thing you must keep into account, is to walk them A LOT so they will not have as much energy/drive to go after cattle. One thing I've seen a couple of times, is that there are places/farms where they let your dog herd sheep (or maybe other herd animals) in a controlled environment, so the dog can fulfill his natural instinct.
>>
American? why buy a cattle dog then?

anyway i have a cattle dog and i dont have sheep, but the paddock next to mine does. just redirect and dont encourage it and youll be fine.
also dont ignore it or it will be destructive
>>
The best resources are professionals and hobbyists. Also, Google, "littermate syndrome"
>>
>>2372890
America has the most cows in the world. Over 300 million. Some are so pampered they even ride around in scooters.
>>
>getting 2 puppies at the same time

you already fucked up
>>
>>2372888
this is all not very sound advice.
"taking the dog for walks" won't do a whole lot for a dog that is very driven to pursue prey. walking a dog isn't getting it near exhaustion to deter normal instincts.

dogs like heelers will have high prey drive instincts. these have been lessened from wolves and shaped to suit pursuit of prey while breeding away from the drive to also KILL the prey--this is true of herding breeds. many other breeds have the desire to pursue prey very subdued.

what must be done in this instance:
instill a VERY strong recall in the dogs, from a young age. learn everything you can on this subject.
raise the animals around livestock VERY FREQUENTLY and monitor their reactions to them
deter them from any behavior such as obsessively watching the animal, aim to have them mostly bored by the animals. give them more interesting activity, in the presence of the animals. (hang out outside near them keeping an eye on the dog, give the dog an activity to do such as a stuffed kong, a chew, etc.)

also don't ever leave them in a position where they COULD roam after cattle and get shot.
where are you planning to primarily house them?
>>
>>2373333
?
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.