[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>your ancestors spent ten's of thousands of years breeding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 15

File: mcveigh104.jpg (19KB, 400x559px) Image search: [Google]
mcveigh104.jpg
19KB, 400x559px
>your ancestors spent ten's of thousands of years breeding the perfect pets, cats that are affectionate and keep your home free of pests and dogs which protect your family when you're not around
>you insist on getting some weird shit pet like a fox or a rabbit or an ugly bug or emotionless fish that are all useless
OK /an/
>>
>>2372792
They did a piss poor job with the cat thing if that was their intention.
>>
It's bait, but practically no average person has actual uses for most dog breeds, and any of the "pest control" cats do is entirely useless if you just don't live in some shithole hoarder house and take basic measures to keep pests away.

I'm much happier with my opossums than I would be some neurotic dog going nuts because I don't have time to mentally stimulate it all day.
>>
dog and cat combo is good

>>2372809
dont get a shit dog then, its all about getting one thats not deformed for looks and non violent.
>>
File: 130317285239 (2).gif (1024KB, 182x319px) Image search: [Google]
130317285239 (2).gif
1024KB, 182x319px
>>2372792

I think it depends on how you define 'pet'. Not all kept animals are for petting.

Some are kept as attractions, some serve a purpose. Some are the subject of interest and study, or simply appreciation.

"Pet" stores deal in many or all of these. But to me, a 'pet' is an animal kept for the enjoyment of affection and company. However what creature might fill that purpose may be different for different people.
>>
my grandparents were not breeding cats or dogs
i have no indenture to like dogs or cats
(i have cat tho)
>>
File: 346487478.jpg (135KB, 1024x710px) Image search: [Google]
346487478.jpg
135KB, 1024x710px
>>2372792
Ant's may not win beauty contests, but watching a little society grow and expand into new territory is mesmerizing.

Also, my own ants have little beards and like collecting seeds. They're like ADD-riddled tiny mountain men with weird hobbies.
>>
>>2372964
i accidentally got an ant colony. i left fruit in a plant pot that was on my bathroom sink as i wanted to see it compost (trying to grow something else in it besides the plant thats there) and then these ants mo ed into the pot, so now i feed them left over fruit. theres never any outside the pot either and the ant holes are crazy. i hope me watering it doesn't screw with them too much
>>
>>2372973
>i hope me watering it doesn't screw with them too much

Really depends on the type. Some like a lot more humidity than others. Tunnel collapse is a worry too, but unless your blasting high pressure water into the pot, I think they'll be fine.

You should totally rehouse those guys in a terrarium or something, make it official.
>>
>>2372979
yeah ill do something like that i guess, i know the thin ones are garbage so how thick should i make ir? ill still keep it small though so maybe 30cm long, 15 wide and 20 in height or something? ill look into a lot of other stuff, but do you think it would be fine un covered in the long term as long as i keep them fed? should i put beetles in to control the population or something?
>>
>>2372792
everyone already has normie pets, even people with exotics pets
>>
File: b9d.png (11KB, 427x474px) Image search: [Google]
b9d.png
11KB, 427x474px
>>2372792
Finally a post about this. I don't understand why people keep stupid shit like this as pets. The worst is things like spiders and snakes. A woman I know kept a tarantula, when I ask what she did with it she said she keeps it in a box and feeds it. I asked can you take it out to which she said no its a dangerous animal.
>>
>>2373001
tarantulas arent dangerous though.
>>
>>2373012
Sure, but you don't want someone stressing it out or risk dropping it. Even a short fall can be fatal to Ts
>>
>implying furthering humanity's domestication of species and domination over the earth is a bad thing
>implying pet fancies aren't an invention of the past three centuries and any of the animals you own descend from pure working lines
>implying even if you did own animals with descent from working lines you'd even use it for work and not for MUH DOOGGGUUUU SO CUTTE POST PICS WIFF BOWTIE ON /an/ LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL FACEBOOK? WUTS THAT
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (144KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
144KB, 1280x720px
>dog and catfags with the eternal LARP that they have a monopoly over the animals that've been selectively bred over thousands of years
>>
>>2372999
Earth life is so boring. I can't wait until the bring some bacteria back from Mars or some moon of Jupiter.
>>
>Everyone on earth must join the cult of the DAWWGGG because muh DAWWWGG is special cuz THOUSANDS OF YEARS DAWWWGG HUMANITIES PET

Still believe dogfags aren't all narcissists yet?
>>
>>2373025
because they were bred for purpose. im not against pig ownership either but its obvious theyre not good pets for most lifestyles.
>>
>>2372792
Because I think the biology of different invertebrates is interesting, and breeding them is much more manageable and ethical than breeding dogs and cats.

I do like dogs too. I have a lot of experience with working dogs too, including rehabilitating dangerous dogs. Plan to gather some malamutes when I have enough money to retire and move to northern MN (currently in central MN).

I'm very allergic to cats, and they're fairly mundane anyways. If I need to get my cat fix, I just hang out with one of many people I know with a cat.

As for foxes, I usually try to convince people who who want "domesticated" foxes that they're romanticising fox ownership, and that it's much more work than any kind of dog.
>>
>>2373025
Ginuea pigs aren't pets, they're food.
>>
>>2373034
fox ownership is idiotic and saddening.
>>
>>2372950
F
>>
>>2372995
Well, it's hard to say without knowing the type of ant, and how big the colony is. Assuming it's a small potted plant, probably not terribly large, so a small terrarium full o dirt would probably be sufficient. As for them escaping, glass is no obstacle, so you'll have to paint one of a variety of substances around the rim of the container to keep them from climbing out - olive oil, vaseline, a baby powder mixture, or a product called Fluon/Insect-a-slip are the most common.

However, I'd recommend checking out youtube. If you can identify the ants, that'll make it much easier to figure out how to properly house them, how to get them to switch to different nests, what to feed them, etc. AntsCanada got me into the hobby, so I have to shill for that overdramatic ant nerd. He enjoys ants way, way too much, but there's some really good info there.
>>
>>2373033
>>2373035
>Angry catfags trying to dictate what domestic species bred for thousands of years people should keep in their home

What arguments do you even have? MUH NATURR? MUH GAIA? lol

Dogs and cats get eaten by swiss and chinks, guess you faggots can't own them now! They're livestock. Deal with it.
>>
>>2373041
What the hell is wrong with you spergo? I just said they're not pets but food.

Idc what you think of the chinks, they aren't people. As for the Swiss, point out the last time they are cats or dogs.
>>
>>2373042
>Google basic info for me so you can cut past my obnoxious germabooism

Typical catfag, you have no arguments. Cats and dogs are livestock or working animals and therefore shouldn't be used for companionship. They're unsustainable and ecologically damaging to the local environment. They end up in shelters and culled at a frightful and regular basis. You shouldn't be allowed to own either a dog or a cat, and neither should anyone else on /an/. Prove me wrong in a way that isn't feelings, companionship, or nature based arguments.

https://www.thelocal.ch/20160212/swiss-restaurant-serving-cat-food-sparks-outrage

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_meat#Switzerland
>>
>>2372809
>some neurotic dog going nuts because I don't have time to mentally stimulate it all day.

Uh ok b-but
>have 3 dogs in 900sq ft condo
>live with 2 other people
>all they do is lounge around and bark at the landscaping people
>leave them alone for 8-12 hours at a time
>come home to my clean apt and waggy butts
>all I have to do is walk them 3 times a day
>let them out in the yard if too lazy to do that (or it's rainy out)
>don't even play with them most days, they entertain themselves
>spoil them with toys because they're so good
>limitless cuddles whenever I feel like it
As cute as possums are, I'll take my dogs over a neurotic possum any day. I understand some dogs can be fucking insane, but don't lump all of them in together. I hope someday you find a nice couch potato that just wants to rest his head on your lap and fall asleep with you watching tv.
>>
>>2373031
My dog is really the best though, like, you should meet him. He'll change your life.
>>
>>2373040
yeah pretty small. finding the species is a bit difficult since they dont match any description readily available and the ant guide issued by my state is 280 pages long, black and white and explains on a technical level. theyre a small brown not that thats very helpful
>>
>>2373048
I don't even give a shit about cats. Ginuea pigs are food, not pets, dumbass.

Settle your autism and realize when you're saying stupid shit that has nothing to do with anything.
>>
>>2373048
>serving cat food sparks outrage
Solid evidence bro.
>>
>>2373059
>Reading is for faggots! I only graze my eyes over the UU ARR ELLL looooool

>>2373058
Cats are food, not pets, dumbass.

Settle your autism and realize when you're saying stupid shit that has nothing to do with anything.
>>
File: IMG_20170505_030801.jpg (464KB, 1080x1837px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170505_030801.jpg
464KB, 1080x1837px
>>2373049
trust me, most people dont walk there dogs that complain of that shit. as someone with a "super energetic" dog two walks a half hour play is plenty, not that i limit myself to that
>>
>>2373048
>Petafaggot petafaggoting about all smuglike
Get off my /an/
>>
File: IMG_9778.gif (800KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9778.gif
800KB, 500x500px
>>2373061
Holy shit, you're so bad at arguing you have to resort to being a copycat and acting superior without any ground to stand on.
>>
>>2373066
>Have no arguments
>call someone autistic over and over again
>get butthurt when you're told NO U

>>2373064
Classic, no arguments from the board that hates animals.

It's like none of you can debate without spewing off your feelings.

Rather like latent toxoplasmosis infected.
>>
>>2373069
I don't give a fuck what arguments you want.

Petafags like you don't belong here.
>>
>>2373072
I'll be here tomorrow to continue triggering you with my sheer presence, toxo ridden catfag.

>/an/ is only for people who HATE ANIMULS like me, if you don't hate animuls GIT O - U - T even though I have no mod support behind me :((((
>>
>>2373057
Hrm. 280 pages? You in Cali, by chance? I ask because this place has over 300 different species.

Small and brown is not terribly helpful no, but it does rule out stuff like the Tapinoma Sessile (black sugar ants), most of Camponotus (carpenter ants, fairly large), and Solenopsis (butthurt fire ants). Well, it might be Tapinoma, since they're not strictly black. How small we talking? Like, 1mm or 2 for a worker?
>>
>>2373063
>arthritis
>special diet
>sensitive skin
>sensitive teeth
desu I would give up on this dog too
the behavioral probs can be solved, but the rest is too much to put up with imo for a 6 year old dog
2/10 would not adopt

>most people dont walk there dogs that complain of that shit.
I guess so. Not everyone is as crazy about their dogs as I am about mine.
>>
File: $_20.PNG(6).png (465KB, 720x478px) Image search: [Google]
$_20.PNG(6).png
465KB, 720x478px
>>2373077
western Australia. im going to guess 1.5mm, cant take a pic right now because my cats asleep on me

>>2373078
i question the meat thing, sounds pretty sus. dog doesnt even look appealing (no offense ugly doggos). what annoys me more is the fact they have another dog, as if to be its replacement. id take it in but id only be supporting the issue and i already 6 animals and future ants to care for
>>
>>2373084
>>2373077
also im mistaken, its only 209 pages
>>
>>2373084
Oh shit, Australia. I got no idea then man, sorry. I'm barely knowledgeable about US species, I couldn't tell you much about stuff down there, especially considering how...odd...a lot of the creatures around you are (read: terrifyingly dangerous). With my luck, I'd tell you it's safe when in reality it eats human flesh and colonizes your extremities.

Best bet is some of the myrmecology forums. Snap a pic when you can, upload it, and let them go to work.
>>
>>2373088
no worries, i mean these a definitely safe ants but its always good to know. i think they could possibly be coastal brown ants as i know theyre around, but i havent seen any of the huge heads, maybe Pharaohs ants but ill have to check.
>>
File: 2017-03-06 13.28.19.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
2017-03-06 13.28.19.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2373074
UUUU
>>
>>2373084
>dog doesn't even look appealing
>no offense
Nah you're right. If he were a beautiful dog it'd be a different story I'm sure.
>>
>>2373096
took a photo, boy my camera cant capture high definition ants
>>
File: 3217848.jpg?403.jpg (20KB, 403x262px) Image search: [Google]
3217848.jpg?403.jpg
20KB, 403x262px
>>2372792
I was with you until rabbit. I find it very fucking dumb that people will breed domestic animals to wild ones just for appearance, or get wild animals to be a special snowflake. I have no problem with easier to keep animals like many reptiles and bugs, and other domestic animals like rabbits and chickens.
>>
>>2372809
>the average person who owns a hunting dog doesn't hunt with it

do you live in the middle of yuppie land or something? almost everyone i know with a working dog uses it for its intended job

t. pointer owner
>>
>>2372792
What I don't get is why we didn't lead off domesticating foxes. They have a massive range, are probably better at most things cats are used for practically, and would likely have been more trainable. Don't get me wrong, I love cats, I just don't follow the logic as to why we domesticated them.
>>
File: 1492574981191.jpg (47KB, 564x400px) Image search: [Google]
1492574981191.jpg
47KB, 564x400px
>>2372792
>not wanting to be special
>not aspiring to discover new grounds
>not enjoying the challenge of domesticating an animal

How can you sleep at night?
>>
File: Fabulous.jpg (87KB, 800x567px) Image search: [Google]
Fabulous.jpg
87KB, 800x567px
>>2372792
>ugly bug
>>
>>2372792

So you're saying our ancestors were furries who yiff in Hell??
>>
>>2374344
Foxes weren't social enough to compete for jobs with with wolves and weren't as manageable cohabitants as cats. Foxes also don't live very long, which sucks for an animal that is too smart and strongheaded to train easily. Basically, they were never worth the effort.
>>
Rabbits have been domesticated for centuries, you pompous catfag.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_rabbit
>>
File: owlbear.jpg (85KB, 564x540px) Image search: [Google]
owlbear.jpg
85KB, 564x540px
>Your ancestors spent thousands of years learning how to make perfect walls out of gypsum plaster
>You insist on covering it up with a painting
Some people like the variety of owning a small menagerie.

I have a dog, some fish, and chickens. Each have their place/function.
>>
>>2376453
T H I C C
>>
>>2372792
But I love my fish? It's like a pet but not shitty.
>>
>>2373031
if you read the post you'll see that it is cats too. both cats and dogs being banned form this board would do wonders for this place
>>
>>2373031
something I've noticed
cat people might not like dogs, but they're ok with them
dog people will often go on and on about how cats are evil or assholes etc
>>
As a fish keeper, they really aren't pets in the same vein as a dog. I wouldn't even call them pets, at all. It's a hobby and decor that requires upkeep.

When a fish of mine dies? I'll be annoyed.

When I had to get my golden put down two weeks ago? I was destroyed. Still kind of am.
>>
>>2373022
Nobody is allowed to touch my animals and nobody wants to.
>>
W
>>
>>2372792
>your ancestors spent ten's of thousands of years breeding the perfect pets
>dogs

Except, you do know 90% of dog breeds were created in less than 200 years because it was a 'sport' among rich people with nothing better to do.
>>
>>2375897
>bug
>>
File: IMG_0097.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0097.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>2372792
I'm allergic to cats and dogs
fuck you
>>
>>2377152
Have you not seen half of the cat people on this site? They actively talk about how terrible dogs are (smelly, loud, obnoxious, needy) and talk about shooting dogs if they even look at their cats wrong.
>>
>>2377513
50% is a smaller percentage than 90%, and it's often in response to dogfag fagging.
>>
>>2374361
>being this insecure and stupid
Of all arguments you could've picked you presented the ones that painted you as an insuferable attention whore. Congratulations
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.