[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I caught three wood mice in my friends house, I'm pretty

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

File: oixEFsv.jpg (310KB, 1300x956px) Image search: [Google]
oixEFsv.jpg
310KB, 1300x956px
So I caught three wood mice in my friends house, I'm pretty sure two are female and one is male. They are pretty calm and don't really care when I touch the bars or look at them but it's to early to try and handle them.

I've heard they are more sociable than house mice and it seems to be true as I have seen no fighting and they sleep together happily. I caught them all in the same place (under the sink) and they seemed to be limited to one room with plenty of food. I've read that outside they roam around quite a bit but these ones have probably lived multiple generations in the back of a sink. They probably are likely siblings and have lived together their whole life. They seem to be on the younger side and are still grey.

My question is if anybody has any experience trying to tame baby mice with wild parents just after they have weaned? Will they become fairly domesticated? Any experience with wood mice is appreciated too
(pic related, about size they are now. Not sure about age)
>>
File: 14602076256024.png (88KB, 568x548px) Image search: [Google]
14602076256024.png
88KB, 568x548px
>>
Wood mice spread hanta. White belly = no-go
>>
>>2372609
They don't domesticate well and are not likely to bond with you as domesticated mice will. Just go and release them 2 miles away from your friends home. It is possible to tame them, but the chance of disease and the fact that they never interact with humans make things difficult. Even people that hand raise them from pinkies have very mixed results.
>>
>>2372679

I'm In the UK, read some studies where they captured 495 wild rodents, half of which were wood mice. Tissue samples were taken and analysed. They found Hanta Virus in only one water vole. It's way rarer here than U.S
>>
>>2372609

All I know is from house mice. Baby females are easy as heck to tame. Females generally are easier. Very young males can be moderately tamed but remain wild. Adult males are impossible, at least for me, and will bite incessantly. Adults are especially dangerous because they are more than capable of drawing deep blood.

Babies normally cant penetrate skin so you wont have a jump reflex if they panic and nip about something. Because its painless, you dont react and the animal has a chance to learn there is no danger or harm and calm itself and learn giant fingers are no threat.

Again, these are house mice, I speak of. I cant speak directly to wood mice, and would remind that neither have been bred as pets to have a select temperament.
>>
File: 7axBaxZg.jpg (178KB, 728x546px) Image search: [Google]
7axBaxZg.jpg
178KB, 728x546px
>>2372939

Yea I kinda want to breed them as an experiment, there's nothing online anywhere about actually breeding them except for a few inaccesible 70 year old books. I've got labratory mice breeding experience too. I was going to kill them anyway as I dont think they would survive outside a house.

They did live in the house with 5 dogs and 3 people and seemed to have no fear of us unless you got really close so, I have a few seperated in a smaller hamster cage and they don't seem to mind running around (they love the hamster wheel) while it's sitting on my desk while I work and can clearly see and hear me.

But worse comes to worse I can put them in a close by forest and give the baby foxes something to hunt as I don't think they would survive as they had very very easy access to food in the house.

Pic related, one of the bigger females.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.