[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Please help. My aunt dropped these off with no instructions.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: turtles.jpg (338KB, 850x638px) Image search: [Google]
turtles.jpg
338KB, 850x638px
Please help. My aunt dropped these off with no instructions. I don't know what kind of turtle they are. I don't want them to die.

>They're in a small bucket of water
>Do they need a dry place to sit?
>Should they be in shade or sun?
>How many times a day do I feed them?
>Do they need toys? What kind?
>Do they need time outside the bucket?
>Do they bite or have bad germs if touched?
>>
>>2370469
Red-eared sliders, and:
>Move them to something bigger
>Yes, preferably with a basking lamp
>Depends what you're keeping them in
>I fed my turtles usually around twice a day, turtle pellets and occasionally bloodworms
>Nah, just a rock to sit on or something
>Not if it's big enough.
>Wash your hands after handling to minimize salmonella risk
>>
Terrapins. Red-eared sliders.
Here's a care sheet. They're easy to care for.

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Red-Eared-Slider-Care-Sheet/

The link answers all those questions, but an extra word of warning, they ARE prone to biting and you should wash your hands WELL after touching them or their tank to reduce the risk of salmonella.
>>
>>2370473
>>2370477
THANK YOU
>>
I tried googling but couldn't find the answer- will turtles jump out of their container if I put a rock that's high enough?
>>
>>2370769

Yes. Turtles are known for their jumping ability.
>>
>>2370769
in all seriousness, a female that's going through her mensies will be desperate to get out of her tank in order to lay her eggs.

while they can't jump, if they can reach the end of the tank by standing on their hind legs, they can and will get out, possibly hurting themselves.
>>
>>2370787
Thanks. I put a rock, in the center where they couldn't jump out, but they didn't use it the whole day and it was taking up space, so I took it back out.

>>2372064
I think they're males judging by their tails, but I have no idea. If they're female, I'm worried about egg retention, as they've never had a proper place to lay eggs. They tried to suicide jump off a ledge while I was changing their water.
>>
Guys...they're over 20 years old. Apparently they've been living in 3 inches of water their whole lives. No warming lamp, no UVB lamp, no rock, no filter, no variation in diet aside from pellets.

The bigger turtle has a dry shell on top, because the water doesn't come up all the way. Do you think it hurts? If I fill it more, it'll be too high for the smaller turtle to stick his head out. Will the smaller turtle still be able to breathe and rest?

They're spending at least 8 hours a day trying to get out. I'm so stressed out about their lives. My aunt would be offended at me telling her how to raise her pets.
>>
>>2372242
Judging by their shells, they look surprisingly well for being submerged that long in water (though red eared sliders are known for being incredibly and ridiculously hardy, which is why so many keep them in subpar conditions and have that "it ain't dead yet, it must be fine!" mindset.)

Unless the shell is actually very soft (which means very bad shell rot), chances are they won't feel it at all, turtles don't have much feeling in their shells as opposed to their skin. They can feel pressure and warmth on it, but that's about it. (My turtle has a scarred shell from being too close to an exploding heat lamp. Doesn't even give a fuck)
And filling it more shouldn't really bother either of them, red eared sliders are incredibly strong swimmers and if anything, really appreciate the depth, as they can float up on the surface to get a breath and go down under to rest (yes they can rest and sleep underwater). Of course they still really should have something to haul themselves out and sit on, like a rock or platform or something, they'll bask on it or just rest hanging off of t.
>>
>>2370469
Wash them well
put them in a pan
Add water
Add salt
Add pepper
Cook for 45 minutes
They make good soup
>>
>>2372391
Thanks for all the advice. Their shells didn't feel soft thankfully. Exploding heat lamp sounds scary- glad it didn't get electrocuted. My aunt just picked them up. I wonder if I can give her the supplies over time subtly.

>>2372411
I was kind of worried these were being raised to eat, but they probably aren't big enough, and they would've been eaten a while ago.
>>
>>2370469
>http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Red-Eared-Slider-Care-Sheet/
Not OP but thank you. Also any advice for a cheap tank set up for a single slider? It's partner just passed and I think it partially my fault. Want to make things right with the one left.
>>
>>2372726
OP here who knows almost nothing, but I read that those really big rubbermaid tubs are a cheap setup compared to tanks. Maybe someone else can weigh in.

Do you know why the other one died?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.