[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hypothetically, if humans were to inject rabies into every deer,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

Hypothetically, if humans were to inject rabies into every deer, turkey, and squirrel living out in th wild... what would happen? I mean seriously how would that play out?
>>
Like, probably not very well, dude.
>>
>>2369367
How do you mean, what would happen? Would the animals just like die out, or eat each other, or would it cause the downfall of civilization, what would happen?
>>
>>2369373
The Americas would be in huge trouble. Most people, assuming they are not aware of the rabies endemic, would get rabies and die slowly. Rabies is only treatable before symptoms show up; after you begin to actually show signs of rabies, your chance of survival plummets. It is a little zombie-ish in the idea that the last few stages before coma include aggression and delusions, and the bite is obviously a great way to spread the virus. However, once aggression kicks in the animal is usually unable to move very far or very fast, just sort of stumble around. Even if people aren't largely in contact with these animals, their pets would be. Honestly our dogs have the best chance of survival, more dogs than I believe any other creature in the US, including humans, have the rabies vaccine. The UK would be hit real fucking hard because rabies is extinct there, they no longer require any rabies vaccine nor do they ever assume rabies.

I'm also assuming that in this scenario, somehow birds and squirrels are able to carry rabies or the virus is somehow altered to infect them too, as squirrels rarely get rabies and birds never do.
>>
>>2369537
Pretty much this. Rabies has a long incubation period so if nobody was aware of evil mr. genius' meddling, humanity would be decimated pretty quickly.

If OP is referring to deer, turkey and squirrels only though, parts of Africa, the Middle East and Oceania would go entirely unaffected.
>>
>>2369364
>Turkey
Only mammals can contract rabies.
>>
>>2369862
can't believe the fucking cockroaches are safe
>>
>>2369862
Yes but we injected EVERY turkey, even these fatty fat ones that probably have enough temperature inside for the virus to mutate and spread to other birds.
>>
>>2369888
It's not a matter of temperature but neurochemistry.
>>
What if people injected every animal outside with rabies, would it be lie the walking dead of animals or some shit?
>>
>>2369899
Not really; by the time they get to the aggressive stage, they are delirious and aren't good at traveling. They are incredibly weak from dehydration and don't pose much of a threat unless you get close to it. All people would have to do is stop picking up injured wildlife.
>>
>>2369364
Those animals would go through the very normal clinical stages of infection then die. There wouldn't be all that much human-animal interaction really. Except for the ones that it doesn't even affect in the first place of course. All it would take is a few people to get infected for there to be an alert put out and everyone else with a smartphone or a tv would know to not pick up injured animals.

>>2369537
>>2369561
These two happen to be very incorrect in their assumptions..

I see rabies afflicted animals every year where I live in the USA. Everyone knows what to look for and how to keep away. The last one that caused an uproar was a red fox that ran through the neighborhood. It was foaming at the mouth and walking like a drunk. There was literally a mob of people following it yelling and shouting, warning everyone to stay clear. Someone with a firearm finally caught up with it, shot it in my yard, put it in a bag, dug up the lawn where the blood splattered and bullet went then carted it off to be studied by a vet.
>>
>>2369537
The UK has a proper scorch earth response though should they find a case of Rabies in any wild life. Im mot sure of the exact details but it's a series of perimetres in which you kill everything but people
>>
Whatever mammal species that were injected would die out. Maybe a few of the things with really low body temps like sloths and opossums would make it, and everything not a mammal would be 100% unaffected.

it wouldn't be some apocalypse, because most rabid animals don't go around attacking shit. They just sorta stumble around drunkly then die.
>>
>>2369951
Where do you live? Because I assure you most people are dumb and don't know about rabies symptoms.
>>
>>2369951
Looks like you're right and I was working with faulty info. Rabies isn't infectious in the incubation phase. However, if EVERY wild animal were infected, they would all simultaneously become infective and spread the disease to every dog and cat. It would be impossible to kill the billions of infected animals fast enough to prevent major loss of human life.
>>
>>2370226
>Rabies isn't infectious in the incubation phase.

I believe it's possible to pass the infection up to 5 days prior to the outbreak of the symptoms. I think I've read somewhere that in old local folk knowledge the infectious period without symptoms was thought to be 2 weeks at the very maximum.
>>
>>2369936
What if we also suited up all the animals with a water tank on their backs which was proportional to their size, that had tubes that injected them with water to keep them hydrated?
>>
>>2370226
>spread the disease to every dog and cat
Dogs and cats are usually vaccinated.
>>
>>2370528
Dogs are vaccinated. In the US the majority of dogs are not up to date with their vaccinations. Keep in mind your average dog owner does not even bother to fix their pet, let alone get it vaccinated. For cats, even less are vaccinated. There is also the stray/feral population to keep in mind. I would say that dogs will probably have the least risk though, as they are more often vaccinated than any other animal, humans included.
>>
>>2370773
Wolves and foxes and weasels aren't vaccinated though.
>>
>>2369364
I don't think turkeys can get rabies. Every other animal would die a slow horrible death. Some might infect humans if they happened to meet. People that depend on hunting for food would turn to other edible animals. Opossums,fish, birds etc would probably still be on the menu
>>
>>2370976
Why cant turkeys get to gots the rabies like any other critter?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyIFRzkw4p0
>>
>>2369875
roaches ware always safe mayne
>>
>>2371124
it's a mammals exclusive
>>
>>2371541
why?
>>
>>2371541
And not even all mammals can get it. There are a few with body temperatures that are so low that their bodies can't incubate the virus.
>>
>>2371728
I'm no pathologist, but pretty much every disease in existence is tailored to a narrow set of conditions. There are disease that birds can catch that mammals can't. There are diseases that cats can catch but dogs and people can't. There are diseases that can pass back and forth between horses and humans but almost nothing else. The HIV virus is so specific to us that it dies if it's outside of a human body for much more than a day.

Rabies seems to require something about warm mammal cells in order to survive and reproduce.
>>
>>2370255
You're not thinking far enough

We attach a supply of water, steroids and 24 hour energy drinks to each animal
>>
>>2372425
don't forget the jet engines so they could get to people faster
>>
>>2371738
Rabies can survive in birds, it just never progresses to encephalitis like in mammals. A significant portion of wild birds carry rabies antibodies in their sera due to interacting with mammals.
>>
>>2373991
can you catch it from them? I don't want to be afraid of birds too :(
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.