[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Want to have a dog but he would be alone in an apartment

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: golden-retriever-roux.png (492KB, 670x377px) Image search: [Google]
golden-retriever-roux.png
492KB, 670x377px
>Want to have a dog but he would be alone in an apartment most of the day
>Don't want to be an egotistical asshole and make a dog unhappy

I want to adopt a dog from a shelter, so would it still be a dick move ? What are the chances of the dog being happier with me adopting him ?
>>
>>2367891
An old, lazy, and aloof dog might be happy with that setup.
>>
>>2367891
A dog'd rather have you come back and sleep on your bed with you by night than stay in a shelter all day long.
You'll also have to at least walk him out before you leave, go on a long tiring walk when you come back, and a last time before bed, too.
>>
>>2367891
your home > shelter

You could get two dogs so they have each other's company and can play with each other.
>>
>>2367928
Good idea too. But you'll have to ask the shelter for two dogs that are already friendly with each other. Better that way.
>>
>being in a cage in a shelter all day until they're euthanized in a couple of weeks
or
>being alone in a comfy house for 8 hours and then receiving love and attention every day for the rest of their natural life
hmm, that's a tough decision
>>
>>2367951
except op would pick a cutest huggliest one that wouldn't be euthanized anyway, which is fine but destroys your entire point.
>>
>>2367951
I know, I'm just thinking that if somebody with a garden and a lot of time would adopt the dog instead of me, he would be happier.

Because I'll admit I won't adopt an old dog either, even if it would surely be the safest (and kindest) option.
>>
>>2367982
pick a cute healthy but introvert dog, it wouldn't enjoy the big happy family anyway but with time will bond with you because this is how mammals work.
>>
senior dogs are fine with this

or any dog if you can walk the shit out of it every day before you go to work

t. owner of a once hyperactive, now senior terrier that has worked up to 16 hours a day since i've had him
>>
>>2367933
I was house sitting for some neighbors once and this is what they did with their dogs. They also had them trained to go shit in the back yard if needed.
>>
OP, it's not really a dick move. Lots of dogs live full, happy lives where their owners work during the day. Dogs sleep a lot anyways (~16 hours a day) and a well-adjusted dog is generally content to laze around and sleep while their owner is away. As long as the dog gets plenty of attention and adequate exercise while you are home, I wouldn't worry about it.The dog will be fine.

And absolutely, a dog would be happier living in a comfy home with a loving owner who is gone most of the day, than sitting in a crowded, stressful shelter day in and day out.

>>2367982
You have to realize that most dog owners are not people with tons and tons of spare time and huge yards. So there isn't a home like this for every dog, thus you wouldn't really be "taking" a better home from a dog you adopted--odds are they would end up with someone like you, who is gone during the day, or end up with no home at all.
>>
i adopted a bulldog from the shelter

she pretty much just sleeps 20 hours a day
>>
>>2367893
This, get an old dog. Nobody wants them anyway and they just get put to sleep before their time.
>>
>want a pet but work most of the day so dog is a nogo
>cant have guinea pigs because im a grown up man even though I think they are pretty cute
>completely unsure about getting a cat because I think cats shouldnt be kept indoors
Fug that, I just want a friend ;_;
>>
>>2368589
There is nothing wrong with getting a guinea pig my dude. Better yet get rats. Get yourself a fat male ratto that will sit and watch TV with you.
>>
>>2368576
>bulldog
no, she's physically incapable of movement for 20 hours a day due to all her health problems.
>>
Getting two dogs is a good idea if you can afford it. More expensive than one dog but require a bit less out of you as they keep each other company.
>>
>>2368589
there isn't anything wrong with having guinea pigs as a grown up - in fact, i rather dislike the idea that they are childrens pets, since they actually require a reasonable amount of work, responsibility and are really timid - not very suitable for being grabbed at and squeezed by brats.

Getting a whole bunch of guinea pigs, like 8, and looking after them all is really rewarding and they tend to do better in larger 'packs'
>>
File: guinea stampede.gif (1024KB, 300x237px) Image search: [Google]
guinea stampede.gif
1024KB, 300x237px
>>2369562
There is no better joy than letting thousands of guineas scramble over eachother to get to their dinner
>>
>>2368589
Cats should only be kept indoors
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.