[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any tips on getting my dog to eat more slowly? Due to a suspected

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: grimey.gif (2MB, 419x312px) Image search: [Google]
grimey.gif
2MB, 419x312px
Any tips on getting my dog to eat more slowly? Due to a suspected history of past abuse, he frantically horks his food down in less than 15 seconds and I've tried as many tricks as I could read/think of: getting a slow feeder bowl, putting a big ass rock in his bowl, etc. I tried spreading his food across a muffin tin tonight and instead of eating out of each cup, chewing and swallowing, then moving on to the next, he would slurp every single bit of kibble down AS he moved. He never chewed.

What do I do? I'm terrified of him choking or getting bloated and dying.
>>
>>2366010
Im not sure theres any way to force him to chew unless you make him eat with a muzzle on

The best you could do is feed him small amounts at a time but that wouldnt really help his fear

OH
Feed him whole meat? Big chunks that he's got to rip up?
Or feed him whole meat you pre-shred into very small slivers for him. I suppose you could pre-crush the kibble too.
>>
>>2366010
depending on how rough he his with his stuff, you can get a toy he has to play with to release the food. basically, things that are like bottles with holes in them that have to roll to get any food out of.

Another thing you could do, if you have the time, is just use his food for training. Basically it's hand feeding him without feeling like you are wasting as much time since you are working together.
>>
>>2366024

I might try the muzzle. Big or small chunks of food don't matter to him. I accidentally dropped a piece of roast on the floor even *I* would pause before putting it in my mouth and he inhaled it.

>>2366028

I do have the time and I'll try that.
>>
File: 9817143_f520[1].jpg (27KB, 520x605px) Image search: [Google]
9817143_f520[1].jpg
27KB, 520x605px
>>2366034
not that anon, but my dog is a horker as well (and he waits all day to eat his breakfast so he'll throw up bile *before* he remembers he's hungry and *then* will hork down his food), so I've also tried a few options.

pic related (kong wobbler) was too complicated for my idiot, so it might do okay for yours.
>>
>>2366052
forgot to mention that there are plenty of toys like this out there, but this is probably the one that would hold up best to a frustrated frantic eater. the bottles the other anon mentioned might shatter/splinter and not only be useless, but also injure your puppo.
>>
>>2366053

My only concern would be puppo being too afraid of it. He's scared of his own damn shadow sometimes.
>>
>>2366158
How much information do you have on his past?
>>
>>2366010
i used to have a dog like this too, i would just hand feed it and train him like >>2366028 suggested and it worked fine. after a couple years he was comfortable enough with us and ate at a normal pace when we put it in his dog bowl.
>>
>>2366167

He belonged to my former roommate. He was a failed band-aid baby between her and her now ex-husband who as I understand it, was a total shitbag. My roommate never saw anything, but we strongly suspect her ex abused puppo because among other things:

>Horks his food down like someone's going to take it away from him
>Tail has a crook in it from being broken and healing not quite right
>Has difficulty trusting adult men and will cower if one stands up and takes his belt off in front of the dog

That's not a reaction a dog would have for no reason.
>>
>>2366052
>>2366158
If your dog's afraid of the kong wobbler, you'll have to take a regular kong and fill it. That's a bit more involved as you'll likely have to refill it several times to give him his whole meal.
Try putting some wet food in so it sticks inside, maybe.
>>
Wait until he is calm before you feed him. If he is all worked up and anxious before his meal then he will likely wolf it down. Try putting him in a crate or having him hold a down-stay and then give him bits of food, ONLY WHEN HE IS CALM. If he is anxiously grabbing the food or biting too hard on your fingers, he is not calm. So keep on trying until he can accept food nicely.

Be gentle, but firm. His past doesn't define him, so don't think of him as a forever victim. Eventually you can work your way up. If you are consistent with your rules, you should see results. Good luck.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.