[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any zoology or biology students on the board? How's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 7

File: 1492487140499.png (1MB, 500x1233px) Image search: [Google]
1492487140499.png
1MB, 500x1233px
Any zoology or biology students on the board? How's the experience?
>>
i'm a vet
>>
>>2365520
too much chemistry
and usual drowning in self-doubt
>>
>>2365520
I'm a wildlife science major
>>
>>2365526
Why the self-doubt?

>>2365532
>>2365524
How are the careers? How many weekly hours do you dedicate to it?
>>
I am Dog
>>
>>2365547
>Why the self-doubt?
because I'm 19
>>
>>2365520
Currently finishing my bachelor's in animal physiology. It's ok I guess, not much field work though if that's what you're looking for
>>
>>2365547
i work 8x5=40 hours a week
>>
I just declared my major as Bio. Am I making a mistake /an/?
>>
was a zookeeper for 3.5 years, going back to school for animal science/wildlife management.

zookeeping is cool but the pay can be really bad and when workplace politics start affecting the animals, it will crush your soul.

no idea what i'm gonna do when i graduate, there are a shit ton of cool jobs working outdoors with livestock or wildlife. might go back into zookeeping if i can land a spot at a cutting edge zoo that pays well.
>>
Animal and Veterinary Science student with a Pre-Veterinary concentration here.
>>
>>2365888
Go for a more specific degree.
>>
>>2365930
Aw shit, like what? I don't even really know what I want to do. The school I'm probably going to be going to has a bio program with emphasis on ecology and evolutionary biology which is interesting to me.
>>
>>2365901
>when workplace politics start affecting the animals, it will crush your soul
Shit, any stories?
>>
>>2366203
my curator became a depressed alcoholic and stopped showing up to work. everything was bad. she promoted an incredibly incompetent keeper to supervisor to be her emotional support dog and everyone suffered.

she didn't want to do paperwork and the more she didn't show up to work, the more paperwork piled up. she wouldn't communicate with the vets, the nutrition department, or other zoos. procedures that needed to be done would be postponed until something disastrous happened. animals that needed to be moved to other zoos never went anywhere.

the idiot she promoted to supervisor had zero management skills and wouldn't look any of the keepers under her supervision in the eye. she was the most passive aggressive person i have ever met. if anything inconvenienced or upset her we wouldn't hear about it until there was suddenly a new rule or restriction that usually hindered our ability to take care of the animals or our exhibits.

the assistant curator had no authority over the curator, so she couldn't do anything.

at the time it was a known fact that you did not go to HR because HR would side with management, but we finally built a good enough case to take to HR. director of animal programs got involved and things finally went into motion -- i quit at about this time. one keeper went before me, four other keepers went after.

eventually the supervisor was stripped of all her responsibilities and she warned the rest of the dept to not apply for the position because supervisors weren't allowed to do anything. she either didn't understand or wouldn't admit that this was her fault.

it took them over a year of the curator not showing up to work and not doing her job to finally demote and then fire her. last i heard, she works at petsmart. she'd been with the zoo for 20+ years.

tl;dr sometimes everything will melt the fuck down and you won't be able to do anything but watch
>>
>>2365801

Hey abattoir dude!

Vet student here, expect to work far more than this chap once I graduate however as I want to go into large animal practice, so suspect I'll have to do lots of out of hours. Wouldn't change it for the world though!
>>
>>2365547

As for vet careers. Depends on where you are, if you're US based you're basically fucked. It's student debt up to your eyeballs for not very much pay once you graduate. Mind, if vet med is all you want to do then you put up with it, I know I'd still be on this path if I was in the states.

As for anywhere else, we get paid less than doctors, have to put up with some horrid clients and see some horrendous animal abuse. Add that to putting animals down for most of the day, and the silly amount of hours you wind up in practice- this is without talking about internships (paid slavery) then you can understand why our profession has one of the highest suicide rates.

However, you'll never be out of work, and honestly I wouldn't exchange it for the world. Bloody love what I do.
>>
>>2367418
>I want to go into large animal practice

Never met a large animal vet I didn't like. One of my biggest regrets is not going to school for it myself.

Have fun with the 2am c-sections though, those get old fast.
>>
>>2365526
Same.I'm getting a chem minor just because I have to take the required classes for BIO anyway.About to finish up my junior year.Gonna take Organic chem 1/2 during the summer (JUST).The self doubt doesn't go away,it just gets worse.Currently swamped with lab reports and papers.
>>
>>2367426
The amount of "volunteer" hours vet schools look for is insane
>>
>>2367426
Money isn't an issue, I'm not in the US.
Why did you decide to go study to be a vet? I've wanted to be a vet since I was a child, I want to help animals live better lives, even if I didn't end up being a vet I'd try to get involved with some animal cause somehow
>>
>>2367453

I've done plenty of those already. I've been working with a mixed practice, and a smallies practice since prior to vet school, so I've seen my fair share of 2am call outs.

Don't know about getting old fast. New life is an awesome feeling. I calved a unit of 800 last summer for a month, and even at 4am when we were up to our shoulders trying to get a calf out the rush when it starts to breathe is incredible.

I've assisted surgically with two c-sections (supervised) now, and even if they're at an atrocious time there's some serious satisfaction when that calf hits the ground running. Must be slightly crazy- but I love it, and I don't know a vet at our practice who doesn't love the rush afterwards.

You're bang on with large animal vets, I've met my fair share of smallies vets that I couldn't stand but most farm vets are pretty chill.

>>2367556

You're telling me! They make you repeat that all over again once you get in to twice over practically. Between Uni and placements I don't really have a life anymore.

>>2367638

Very similar to you, wanted to be a vet from the moment I could talk, however I was also fascinated with how things work- and how medics could fix them. I've always been a science nerd, and physiology plus anatomy is so very fascinating. Add that to medical applications, being able to be outside and a love of animals- and it's my dream job.

However, all I would say is that whatever you do make sure you go and shadow vets before you apply. Not only will you need shadowing experience anyway to get into vet school (I can't think of a vet school that takes applicants without work experience), but also to know if it is for you. I only say this veterinary often isn't what people think it is and if you're going to go down this path given the competition for places etc then you need to be 600% sure this is what you want.

Don't suppose you're UK based? If you are, happy to share any info I know about applications/ work ex etc.
>>
Where do failed vet school hopefuls tend to end up?
>>
>>2367981
I ended up in IT for the moment; hoping for a research job with NOAA whenever the hiring freeze is lifted.
Started out as medical research surgeon while still an undergrad, but couldn't take it emotionally. I was good at it, don't get me wrong, but no one can maintain a 100% perfection rate and every freak accident, or just plain accident, really haunted me. Couldn't really stand that an animal suffered because of what I did or failed to do for it.
>>
>>2367981
I was going to apply since I had lab animal care experience, and the backing of one of the major vets on the board of admissions at the school I was interested in, but didnt want to deal with the loans ultimately. Going into biotech management now. Eventually an MBA if it's paid for.
>>
>>2365520
>biology students
Yes, with focus on ecology and evolutionary biology, I also study molecular biology

I love it, but as >>2365526 said, so fucking much chemistry, also, you have to draw so much in the first three semesters

Bio for the fun, MolBio for a job
that's why I study both, I can also tell you that MolBio is absolutely interesting too, but hard as fuck
>>
>>2367976
Nah, I don't live in the UK, but this is still valuable information.
>veterinary isn't often what people think it is
What do you mean by this? What is it like?
>>
>>2365520
Just graduated with an honours degree in Biology from a top Canadian Uni. Lots of theoretical and bitch work just to prove that you can memorize the basics is what it feels like. I took a few field courses though and am dating a grad student in a molecular bio lab and the experience of grad/post grad/actual jobs in the field is vastly different from anything you learn in undergrad. Basic concepts and general principles still apply obviously, but undergrad is pretty much busy work to prove you're good enough to handle busywork while learning some bio. Master's and experience in labs/field is what you really need.
Lots of proffs don't even look at grades in undergrad when looking for master's students and just look at actual lab experience. Knowing how to canoe and camp and shit is even a huge bonus for around here.
>>
>>2368013

Honestly, you need to go to practice and experience it yourself.

Please don't get me wrong before you start reading this, I love my job, I wouldn't want to do anything else in the world. However, it is tiring, you often have client limitations, you can never do enough for your patient's (often due to money), you have to deal with the fact your client 9 times out of 10 brings their pet in way too late (by which chance whatever they had sods law can't be sorted), you will see some absolutely horrific cases, you will have clients constantly calling you money-grabbing, you won't be able to do as much for welfare as you'd like to and that's without talking about the fact the hours can be terrible.

You'll be underpaid for what you do, and you'll spend the vast majority of your day putting things to sleep. There's a huge reason our profession has one of the highest suicide rates.

Really, please - please do not go into veterinary without having seen practice. This is a hard degree, easily on par with medicine, and if you don't truly love what you do (not just love animals, love the science behind it too) then you just won't get through it. Do yourself a favour, ring your local vets and get booked in for a few weeks shadowing. See how reality actually is. Don't be shocked if they try to put you off the career.
>>
File: 68093384-squid-wallpapers.jpg (346KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
68093384-squid-wallpapers.jpg
346KB, 2048x1152px
>>2365520
I'm going into my senior year as an ecology, evolution undergrad. I chose it because I was more interested in zoology and naturalist stuff, also the animal science major we have is focused on either pre-vet, or farming.

I've been working with my county mosquito control division over the summers to build up my resume and hopefully get a good letter of rec from the entomologist. I really want to do something like the job I have now, partial field work/partial lab work. It seems like ecology was really the right field for me, I've had some amazing courses.

I'm just worried as shit for the job market when I get out.
>>
Doing my masters right now. Loving it. Working on insect diversity.

A lot of people have misconceptions about Zoology. They think it is about zookeeping or being close to wildlife like some sort of fantasy. Its really more about writing papers and collecting data.
>>
>>2367976
>Don't know about getting old fast
>I've assisted surgically with two c-sections (supervised) now

How many have you lost? Every time had anything die I was cutting them open to see how it works. Decided I wanted to be a vet after cutting a live on out of a mom who got hit by a car when I was 12. After helping a vet with a c section I got the privilege of doing one on my own (vet was out of town) and ended up losing both babies (mother lived and is actually still out in the barn but never bred since). Maybe I'm not cut out to be a vet, but one was enough for me and god willing I will never have to do that again.

As far as the rest goes, I tend to agree with you, new life is a pretty awesome thing, but just like anything else it fades. You still get caught by it every once in a while though, like finding a new calf half buried in snow and nursing it back.
>>
>>2365520

I have 3 degrees in animal and outdoors. The experience was biggly. AMA
>>
I am a fourth year microbiology student. Microorganisms are too fucking cool.
>>
>>2368444

Easily in the hundreds, I've been lambing/calving for the past ten years - well, since I was a teenager. You lose lambs yearly, and whilst a dead calf is more serious it's not rare either. I tend to work with a lot of dairy as oppose to beef, and the farms around here like using belgium blue crosses for solid beef hybrids. It however also means that sod's law you wind up with heifers giving birth to calves that are just way too big for them: had quite a few had to undergo a fetotomy.

As for fading, we'll see. Honestly, at least with the vets I've worked with, we all still love our job- I think half the difference is that we're only ever bought out to more difficult calvings, so that's not all we do. Maybe I'm being naive, but aye, we'll see!

TB testing however is an entirely different kettle of fish, don't fancy doing JUST that all day.

Take it you work on a farm? Mind if I be nosy and ask what you work with?
>>
>>2365524
Thank you for your service
>>
>>2368529
>Take it you work on a farm? Mind if I be nosy and ask what you work with?

Not a problem. I work on a small cattle ranch (75 head), and I raise just about everything except horses at home but my main focus is sheep (southdowns) and goats (Boers).

Where they breeding blue Belgian heifers? I've always heard you can throw a BB bull over anything with no problems, it's the double muscling in the females that restricts the birth canal.
>>
>>2365526
>got halfway through a bachelor's in zoology
>saw a future of debt and self-doubt ahead of me
>said fuck it and switched to medicine
>no regrets
>>
The reverse of most people here, a chemistry major with a minor in biology. Coming to a chem class after being exposed to nothing but bio must be suffering.
>>
>>2365532
do you get a lot of money?
>>
File: Capture.png (476KB, 609x339px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
476KB, 609x339px
>>2369007
>>
>>2369730
I meant I'm majoring still in college
>>
I just want a stable and secure job where I get to teach people about animals and nature, and maybe get to care for/study them. Nothing big or fancy.

What should I do?
>>
>>2365526
this pretty much. I'm working on my thesis and I feel like I have a learning dissability and only got here by sheer luck or by someone else's mistake. Also I get depressed when I think of my economic future.
Other than that it's been pretty great, and strangely I don't regret a single thing
>>
>>2365936
molecular ecology is where it's at sempai
>>
>>2368365
Doing science in a developing country is hell
>>
>>2369792
become a teacher, or a tourist guide specialized in biology
>>
>tfw started college wanting to go into herpetology
>tfw thesis is about detecting parasitic microorganisms in wild foxes using molecular data
life works in strange ways
Now I want to work in mangrove ecology
>>
>>2370059
Second this.
>>
>>2369730
Not him, but if you want to make good money you're better off studying something that will net you a lab job, think MolBiol, Biochemistry or microbiology.
As cool and interesting as ecology and the like may be, if you can't use your research to turn a profit FAST, you won't find many people rushing to fund your work.
>>
>>2370081
also, from my experience, biochemists thend to be arrogant cunts
>>
>>2370059
>>2370078
I don't know if I'm cut out for that sadly. Stuff on the micro level doesn't interest me, and I'm not great at math.
>>
>>2370066
That sounds breddy gud. I've been thinking about something in the park service, like a park natralist specifically that does more interpretative and ecological work than physical labor/law enforcement, but it seems hard to actually get into.

My mom says I should be a teacher, she and two of my aunts are, but I'm not sure.

What do you recommend I do for a degree? BS in biology? Then what? Would either of these jobs' salary be worth the cost of the education?
>>
>>2367418
hey man hows it going
totally forgot about this thread for a while lol
>>
>>2367426
very much this
where are you from?
>>
I was orginally going for zoology but then I ended up going for a bio major, chem minor. looking at doing marine bio but have the bio BS just in case I dont like it.
>>
>>2369696

Ahhh, I'm slightly envious - your ranch sounds like something (if I'd not been into vet med) that I'd have loved to work at- horses are a pet hate of mine, really don't enjoy working with them (well, their owners mainly). What are the boers like to work with? We have a milking (Saanen) goat herd around here I've been to a few times, mainly for disbudding, they're fab - the kids can be noisy though!

No, they were breeding them to friesian/holstein crosses (or ayrshires)- but their heifers calve bang on 24 months normally, so can be a tiny bit on the small side- hence the troubles.

I think the issue is that they were using big BB AI, either that or we just have smaller cows- have quite a few problems around here with them!

>>2370229

Going well! I've got exams in a months time, so trying to juggle revision, Uni and keep up with spending time in practices at the weekend (plus evenings) at the moment. Feel like I've barely got five minutes free!

Spent a week castrating and scoping feral ponies over easter- that was good fun! Had a few parascaris cases too.

>>2370230

Britfag here.
>>
>>2370142
I'm an undergrad, so I wouldn't know what to tell you. A career in science takes a lot of time you could use learning a more marketable skill or getting work experience, and while there IS work, job offers won't be landing on your doorstep.
Money won't be great, not until you make it big.
My advice, don't get indebted studying biology, and if you're not really passionate about it switch to something that'll pay better
>>
>>2370313
hope you have a great exam season buddy
good luck hang in there
>>
>>2370063
why?
>>
>>2370375
Budget is a joke, equipment is archaic (I work with soviet-made pipettes), and it's a struggle to get published by semi-reputable journals
>>
Bioengineering.

Did I fuck myself over if I like animals?
>>
>>2370608
I believe so
>>
>>2370613
Are there any jobs where you get to interact with living things(not humans, har har), even small ones?
>>
>>2370620
Bioengineering? I believe only bacteria and fungi
>>
>>2370623
And what if I studied something other than bioengineering/biotech
>>
>>2370637
Tons of jobs out there with animals but most bio-something related jobs just involve lots of lab work
>>
File: badger.jpg (55KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
badger.jpg
55KB, 960x720px
>>2370637

Depends what sort of job you want. Most jobs interacting directly with animals are poorly paid.

>>2370346

Thanks, I'm going to need it! My Mum decided to get pick related smack bang in the middle of exams, so it's going to be a hectic month or two.
>>
>>2370642
Well, I think something with ecology would be nice, but afaik these jobs don't pay very well and there aren't all that many spots.
>>
>>2370642
omg such a qt
>>
>>2370648

The only thing I can think of is research. Quite a few of our professors have done various bits and bobs, studying animals all over the globe: everything from testing out a vaccine on horses with strangles, looking at ticks on wild deer (looking in particular for the cyclic nature of Looping ill/Borrellia between I. Ricinus and I. Trianguliceps) - that chap had a few whacky stories and looking at TB in roadkill badgers.

There's likely not many spots, and it'll require an awful lot of dedication to get there, but research roles do exist.
>>
File: IMG_0909.jpg (329KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0909.jpg
329KB, 2048x1152px
Yeah currently going doing my Bio major. It's a nightmare due to how many classes are actually required and how shit I am at Chemistry. Thank god I go to one of the cheapest colleges around so I'll at least get my Bachelors without any debt. I'm currently working at a Veterinary hospital that operates at a lower rate than your average place in order to help people who can't afford the normal rates. I help out as a triage, sometimes a vet tech and other times I just clean the kennels. It pays okay at $17/h and the vets make good money too from what I hear; my boss is the only one who doesn't make any money off of it since it's nonprofit. We don't put down animals here, thankfully. As a kennel cleaner I usually look after the animals from a local rescue, since we board them for less than other places as well. Plenty of sick cats come through here, but thankfully most get adopted sooner or later. Pic related is one of the kittens we just took in, love these little guys. Their mother had a uri infection so we have to feed them by hand now. Great job if not a little dirty.
>>
>>2370317
Hmm sorry for all of the questions, but what would you recommend?

I picked Bio for now because it's the hardest STEM degree I can manage and I (probably incorrectly) assume that the harder the STEM, the better the money. It's also something I'm interested in. The actual bio courses will hopefully make the math and chem worth it.

I'm going to a CC now and then a CalState near my house. I'm fortunate enough to have parents willing to pay my tutition, although I want them to have to spend as little as possible and I definitely want to make back what they payed.
>>
>>2370868
>I'm going to a CC now and then a CalState near my house. I'm fortunate enough to have parents willing to pay my tutition, although I want them to have to spend as little as possible and I definitely want to make back what they payed
This is pretty much my situation. You could try to get into an institute or a faculty, get into a research team and find people to mentor you. They'll help you get started and you'll get lab/field experience, participation in publications and activities and recommendations, which imo are the most valuable things if you want to get a job in this field.
Alternatively you could try to get a job as a consultant. I know a guy who's got a degree in oceanography and started his own environment management company, he's doing pretty well and he gets to make a difference.
>>
>>2370940
Thank you so much anon! I honestly don't really know the first thing about facilities, research, lab work, field work, or consulting, but I'll definitely look into it :)
>>
>>2371019
Np, just talk to people at college, they'll be able to tell you more about this stuff
>>
I am a botanist, working in habitat restoration. One of my best friends is a zoologist.

I love my job, tbqh, but the politics do suck. For every good thing you try to do, there is a mountain of paperwork and approximately 200 bureaucratic hoops to jump through. Give a city government a two-person, $500 solution to a problem, and they'll find a way to make it a fifty person job that costs $200,000. Private organizations, like museums and botanical gardens are not much better.

My friend who is a zoologist has had a much more interesting career. She has worked in wildlife rehabilitation, and at aquariums and zoos. She did get to work directly with animals most of the time, but a lot of her job was also aquarium and machinery maintenance, things like that.

When Hurricane Katrina hit, it destroyed a couple of zoos and aquariums, and she was one of the first teams called back in after the evacuation to do clean up. Clean up, in this case, involving thousands of dead animals, sewage water, chemical spills, and the rotting remains of her life's work. She still suffers from pretty significant PTSD. The other downside to her work is that there are very few jobs. She had a two year gap inbetween jobs once, because there were literally no job openings for zoologists with her specialty at the time.

So...yeah. Working with animals (or in my case, plants and inverts) is even better than you can imagine. But when they die it is just as sad as losing a pet, and sometimes trying to save them seems like a losing battle.

School is long thankless slog. Field work is way more interesting than academia, but messy and sometimes dangerous. Jobs are poorly paid and hard to come by. You have to answer to bureaucrats and marketing teams with no common sense, and no scientific background. But at the end of day, it is still deeply rewarding. I mean, what compares to performing surgery on a Bengal tiger, or bringing an rare species back from the edge of extinction? Not much.
>>
>>2371511
This is a pretty good answer. I worked in bird fieldwork for a few years. I loved it, but it was super hard to try to line up one field season after another, especially in the winter. The pay was absolutely awful and I had to rely on projects that provided housing.

It would have been awesome to keep doing it, but I ended up doing a master's in education and am with a nature reserve's interpretive center now.

That's not to say you can't keep doing fieldwork if you're dedicated. There was one guy I knew who had been doing it nonstop for the better part of a decade, and who's still doing it, but he's a little...intense...and can be super difficult to deal with at times. I have mad respect for his skills and his knowledge and still get in touch with him from time to time to ask questions, but there aren't many people with the personality and character that lets them flout the normal academic career tracks.
>>
>>2371744
>nature reserve's interpretive center now

That sounds awesome. What is it like and how would one go about getting the job?
>>
>>2371747
>What is it like?
Lots of school groups on field trips and coming up with age-appropriate programs for different times of year.

I change up the displays at the center every once in a while, so I need to write things and find graphics and get someone with artistic talent to help me out.

We host classes from various master naturalist-type programs sometimes and I get involved with those.

On days when we're open to the public I lead walks and talk to people.

>Getting the job
It was all about connections.

I knew a bunch of the people on staff and had been partially involved with the volunteer efforts when the center was starting up. They knew I was working on my master's at the same time that they were trying to get money to expand the center and its programs, and they had gotten in touch with me to see if I was interested in working with them. I had to work with a landscape company for 5 months after graduating before the center was able to hire me.
>>
File: o god.jpg (37KB, 800x768px) Image search: [Google]
o god.jpg
37KB, 800x768px
>>2371744
>>2371511
>For every good thing you try to do, there is a mountain of paperwork and approximately 200 bureaucratic hoops to jump through
>The other downside to her work is that there are very few jobs. She had a two year gap inbetween jobs once, because there were literally no job openings for zoologists with her specialty at the time.
>Jobs are poorly paid and hard to come by. You have to answer to bureaucrats and marketing teams with no common sense, and no scientific background
>The pay was absolutely awful and I had to rely on projects that provided housing.

Fuck, people always say the job market is bad but I didn't know it was that bad. As an undergrad in ecology with no specific specialty what can I do now to make sure I'm not jobless in the future? Do you think field work, going back to school, and eventually working in education is the ultimate path?
>>
>>2372523

With ecology, you will be fine. You may have to travel a lot, to find the jobs you want. Be flexible about relocating.

The good news is that, at least in the United States, there are a lot of jobs available with government contractors.

The government Conservation Districts were created to avert ecological disasters that might damage agriculture and industry (think the 1930s Dust Bowl). They actually hire quite a few ecologists to do field work, testing, surveys, research, habitat restoration, and public education.

As much as they get a bad rap, logging companies, utility companies, fisheries, etc hire a lot of ecologists, to ensure that their work is sustainable and lessen their environmental impact.

There may not be a job available in your home town, but if you are willing to be patient and to relocate for your first couple of job contracts, you will do just fine.
>>
Any pre-vets have any advice on finding a place to shadow at? Most of the places near me want you to already have experience.
>>
>>2371765
Thanks anon, that honestly sounds like a dream to me.
>>
>>2372530
What about biologists?

Who hires just a straight up biologist? What can you do with a bio bachelors?
>>
>>2373501
Nature center anon here again.

When I was doing seasonal bird fieldwork I only had a bachelor's. Most field technicians in any ecology-type research only have a bachelor's.

There's always an off shot at getting a gig with an environmental consulting firm, if you want slightly better pay and more stability. In my opinion that stuff is super-depressing though, because your job is essentially telling developers and big corporations "Don't do this, you'll get in trouble" and them saying "How many dollars worth of trouble?...Okay, that's not enough trouble, bring in the bulldozer!"

Unless you want to repeatedly do introductory-level internships you're going to have to specialize in a discipline or taxa. I always liked birds and I had a cool ornithology class in undergrad, so I did bird work.

The first year and a half I did intro-level field assistant/field technician stuff with different programs and research types, and after that I had the experience to do slightly more interesting things. The last year and a half I was in supervisor-type positions on field crews. That was when I decided to do the education master's. Without a master's there was no opportunity for advancement in the field unless I was capable of doing things that I either couldn't or wouldn't.

The super-birder guy I mentioned in my first post only has a bachelor's, but like I said, he's willing to put up with things that most people won't tolerate. Even with his reputation and all of his experience he probably makes less in a year than I do and if he ever gets seriously injured doing one of the crazy things that he does then he'll be screwed.
>>
>>2373501

Most people use it as a jumping off point for medical training. Doctors, nurses, lab techs, etc usually start with a bio degree.

I knew somebody with a bio degree who specialized in botany and ended up managing a seed bank.
>>
>>2365520
Just about to graduate my zoology bsc
I enjoyed the course but having virtually no luck in finding a job afterwards
>>
Biology major here with an emphasis at the cellular/molecular level that's graduating next week.

As others have said, can be chemistry heavy but it's an awesome major. As long as you do the studying you can pass. Some math is also involved but it's doable.
>>
>>2374803
This!
Just don't let yourself get behind. Be proactive go to office hours, and enjoy what you're learning. Try to do research with professors.
>>2373501
Bio is really broad so you will meet people going to a whole shit load of different careers. You can do so much out of it.
>>
I'm kind of stupid and nearly failed high school. What should I be doing if I really like animals? Like a really wide variety and not just cats and dogs, which is what I think what I'm doing now will lead me. I don't know what the differences are with the US, but I think I can go to university if I have to despite going to a trade school instead of highschool.
Being stupid combined with hating chemistry leads me to believe that zoology might not be for me based on what I've read in this thread. I'm kind of lost.
>>
Who /microbio/ here?
Why is labwork so comfy?
>>
Oh.
>>
I'm a zoology major, just wrapped up my sophomore year. Chem is hard but I'm determined to do well. Not sure if after undergrad I want to go for a masters or immediately look for job openings, kind of leaning towards that former.
>>
>>2373046

>>2370642 vet student here. Honestly, google all your local practices - then ring up every single one of them and go from there. If they don't reply to letters, try emails, try phones and heck try just plain old turning up on their doorstep.

It sounds sinister, but I actually got one of my placements through finding out that their vet was judging a local dog show. Took my dog, had a chat and voila- a placement I wouldn't have otherwise gotten (they didn't normally take students). So think out of the box- do any of your vets do anything in their community? Are they running any local courses? Are they doing talks at their vets? Do you have a pet- if so, have you tried asking your vet?
>>
>>2368370
We had that problem here, bunch of cat loving underachieving lesbians - s'why we have such a rough level 100 teacher. I wish people who know nothing and aren't motivated wouldn't go into it.
Thread posts: 97
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.