[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you believe in the reports from people that said to have seen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: ivory billed woodpecker.jpg (60KB, 468x593px) Image search: [Google]
ivory billed woodpecker.jpg
60KB, 468x593px
Do you believe in the reports from people that said to have seen it or do you think that it is gone forever?
>>
>>2362093
I want to believe
>>
I also want to believe that there are at least a few Baiji still around.
I will be very sad if they are confirmed to be extinct, but they probably are anyway.

The vaquita will certainly go extinct, no one even cares about the animal, meanwhile millions are poured every year into maintaining the fucking pandas. So many beautiful creatures are critically endangered or extinct already because of the fucking chinese and their stupid archaic beliefs.
>>
>>2362126
Those species didn't have a porpoise anyway.
>>
File: IMG_1715.jpg (30KB, 250x327px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1715.jpg
30KB, 250x327px
>>2362093
The better question is do you think the imperial woodpecker is still out there
>>
>>2362137
I think not, because it's range was much smaller than the ivory-billed woodpecker.
>>
I think the 2004/5 sightings were legit, but it's gone by now. Sad.
>>
They're still alive. I know it.
>>
>>2362093
I've seen it myself and had no idea it was considered extinct until I saw this post.
In my old neighborhood there must've been at least three of them.

Maybe I am mis-identifying though, what is their range? I live in Florida and it looked just like that, stripe and all.
>>
>>2362320
Just checked, and I can assure everyone in this thread they are not yet extinct.
>>
Ivory-billed Woodpeckers are extinct. They've been gone in the continental US since the early '50s, and the last population in Cuba was wiped out by Hurricane Hugo in 1988.

>>2362161
Those sightings have been debunked by pretty much every serious ornithologist in the US. One frame-by-frame analysis of the one video anyone shot during the search concluded that half the images were likely a Pileated Woodpecker and the other half were unidentifiable. No frames indicated Ivory-billed.

Also, the one guy who's still trying to make noise in the ornithological community about them being out there is regarded as a total loon. His descriptions of them are suspiciously similar to what the craziest bigfoot hunters produce. About once a year he goes on a rant on an ornithology message board about how they're so sneaky and suspicious of humans that you can't get within a mile of them with a camera.

There are pictures from the 1930s of these birds landing on loggers and climbing up their backs. Most written accounts of their behavior from before that also indicate that they did not give a fuck.

>>2362320
>>2362321
You probably saw a Pileated Woodpecker. It's the one on the right in this >>2362137.

And speaking of this >>2362137, Imperials are extinct too. Much like Ivory-bills (and every other big woodpecker in the Campephilus genus) they did not give a fuck about people and were super easy to find. An absolutely legendary bird guy named Ted Parker spent a ton of time in the 1970s in Mexico trying to find evidence of them, and he turned up nothing.
>>
>>2362329
Eh, maybe. The body had the white coloration and it was a pretty big bird compared to most of smaller birds I see. But I won't discount they all look similar and I may be mistaken.
>>
>>2362126
Protecting pandas helps to protect the bamboo forests and all the animals no one cares about that lives in them.
>>
>>2362383
Such as/
>>
>>2362357
Apparently there's a $50,000 reward for leading a biologist to one. So get going.
>>
File: 0326170311a.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
0326170311a.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Post a picture of the cutest animal you can find
>>
>>2362433
No, make your own thread and go fuck yourself.
>>
>>2362093
every time i see a pileated woodpecker, i shed a single tear with the hopes of one day seeing an ivory billed
>>
File: IMG_1717.jpg (330KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1717.jpg
330KB, 1000x667px
>>2362357
Pileated woodpeckers have white sides which can be seen more clearly when they raise their wings

>>2362329
I agree with you that they are both probably gone, but to be fair, if any were left, they'd most likely be individuals who were naturally averse to people.
>>
>>2362132
Criminally underrated post.
>>
>>2362329
1. the Pileated could be evolving its coloration to emulate the Ivory-billed, taking advantage of the latter's protected status

2. the Ivory-billed may be altering its coloration and size to mimic the Piliated to escape the unwanted attention of bird-spotters

3. there could be a conspiracy of guerilla environmentalists spray-painting the Ivory-billed to look like the Piliated in order to troll ornithologists
>>
>>2363087
you're implying that pileated woodpeckers are consciously choosing to evolve because of wildlife protection laws. could you be anymore retarded?
>>
>>2363087
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.