[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bird keepers of /an/: how do you prevent and protect yourself

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_7003.jpg (132KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7003.jpg
132KB, 600x800px
Bird keepers of /an/: how do you prevent and protect yourself from Bird Keeper's Lung? What precautions do you take to reduce your risk? Have any of you ever had it?
>>
I never had it but I do have two cockatiels in my house and bought an air filter as a precaution. I also vacuum the house regularly.

I volunteer at a parrot sanctuary which has anywhere from 20 to 30 large parrots in the building at any time. The owners have been diagnosed with bird keeper's lung before and they've basically had to place air filters in just about every room. They also keep the doors and windows of the building open as much as possible and have outdoor aviaries for the birds to spend time in and play in during the day. The air filters and having the birds outside for a significant portion of the day probably help a lot in cutting down on feather dust.
>>
>>2359815
Do they have it permenently or any kind of chronic damage resulting from it? How has it affected their lives?
>>
>>2359831
From what I recall, they suffer from a chronic form of it and it's definitely left its mark. The owners are an elderly couple who have kept parrots for over a decade so their body is already not in great shape at their age. The most obvious symptoms are their overall low energy and breathing issues (I've seen them use inhalers for asthma from time to time). Their symptoms have apparently improved as they started taking more measures to reduce feather dust. However, they seem a bit frail even for their age and have to rely on volunteers a lot to do most of the physical work around the building. Not to say they don't contribute at all though since they help prepare fresh food for all the birds every day. They just aren't the healthiest-looking people even for their age unfortunately.
>>
>>2359855
Well that's unfortunate. Thank you for answering though. It seems like a very real risk for any bird rehabber, rescuer, breeder, or general enthusiast. I think about it when I see people like Commander Holly with a house and yard full of birds.
>>
I wear an N99 particulate respirator when cleaning feather dust or shit.

Fancier's lung isn't a huge concern though, you should be more worried about cryptococcus and avian chlamydia.
>>
>>2359934
Oh really? Tell me more
>>
File: IMG_0339.png (82KB, 239x229px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0339.png
82KB, 239x229px
>Own tons of finches
>Own a love-bird as a companion
>Was planning on converting a room in my house into an indoor aviary for the finches

T-this isn't common is it?
>>
>>2359946
Fancier's lung takes decades of exposure to build up unless you're particularly unlucky and suffer hypersensitivity reactions upon first exposure (something you should've cleared up at the bird shop desu). Salmonella/paratyphoid, crypto, and psittacosis can fuck you up now, and hard. Any pet bird can prospectively carry without showing any symptoms, and zoonosis should always be considered when handling even healthy-looking birds.

>>2359950
It's pretty common. Birds like space. Just make sure you keep the floors swabbed down.
>>
>>2359951
Would some kind of air filter help?
>>
>>2359953
Air filters will help for the feather dust and airborne particulates, they won't do much when you expose yourself directly to shit though. Wear gloves and try not to breathe it in unprotected.
>>
>>2359955
Alright, thanks for the great suggestions anon! I'll be sure to wear a dust mask and use gloves next time I'm cleaning up after my birds.
>>
>>2359792
I don't.
>>
stop inhaling your birds idiot
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.