[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk about declawing. Also general cat thread. If

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 17

File: 1491122055618.gif (1MB, 232x200px) Image search: [Google]
1491122055618.gif
1MB, 232x200px
Let's talk about declawing. Also general cat thread. If anyone has some anecdotal evidence about declawed cats, I'd love to hear them. Is it true that cats are friendlier after being declawed? The AMA stated that cats are more friendly with their owners after a declaw, but looking at it logically that doesn't make any fucking sense.

Quick poll on declawing cats
http://www.strawpoll.me/12763859
>>
Declawing past the quick causes the claw to grow back crooked and cripples the cat's paws. All it does is stabs their claw back into them. Imagine your fingernail being ripped off, and then it grew back crooked and stabbed through your finger. Not fun.
>>
File: 1479605171752.jpg (36KB, 471x312px) Image search: [Google]
1479605171752.jpg
36KB, 471x312px
How else will cats defend themselves from killer rabbits?
>>
>>2359155
it's a painful procedure for the cat, both in the healing process and the aftermath. Cats almost always develop behavioural issues after being declawed.

Think of it like this: because your owner is too lazy to clip your nails, they just cut off everything from the first finger joint down.

Then you have to walk on the tips of your newly cut fingers

Then you get litter and dirt and feces in your cuts

Now you're constantly in pain while realizing your main defensive mechanism is gone so your go-to way of saying "No" is to bite

Your retarded owner puts you into a shelter where you will be killed because you now have aggression issues
>>
Declawing is disgusting, if you have an issue with your cat clawing stuff, just buy those softpaw things. No reason to mutilate your cat's feet.
>>
If you have a problem with your cat's claws, clip them, don't remove them.
>>
>>2359155
I de-life my cats. Makes them much better animals.
>>
>>2359194
>flopsylooseshisshit.jpeg
>>
>>2359155
I have some anecdotal evidence for you, OP
>used to foster dogs and cats before I got pets of my own, around eight years ago
>fostering a 3y/o female cat named Emma
>was rescued off the street, apparently was already spayed and declawed
>would evade the litterbox completely, had to put soil on the ground over some newspaper because she was basically terrified of the litterbox
>see her try to "sharpen her claws" on the couch, you could feel the frustration
>if she played a lot or ran a lot her paws started aching and she would meow like crazy, had to give her kitty painkillers
Luckily she got adopted quick. She was a sweetheart but too delicate
>>
>friendlier
de-claw is actually de-finger, and has a good chance to make the cats psychos due to constantly returning infections.
>>
Declawing can cause your cats to start eliminating all over your house, since the litter is now uncomfortable to walk on. Declawed cats are NOT friendlier. They know that they have no claws (the main way cats defend themselves) so they become fearful after! They are also more likely to bite people.

I know declawing can be tempting, but there are other options.
>>
I assumed everybody knew how horrible of an idea this is by now.

Psychologically, cats need to scratch. Just get them a post, put it near a corner that they walk past often and spray catnip oil on it.
>>
Kek I have three declawed cats and they are all great. The horror stories I always hear are pretty foreign to me desu but I understand why people largely dislike the procedure
>>
>>2359345
Roughly 30-40% of pet cats in the United States are declawed. So either people don't know or they don't care.
>>
>>2359464
[citation needed]

most vets don't do it anymore and most people aren't going to travel across the state to get it done.
>>
My cat barely let's me touch her paws. I ain't going through hell to get my cat declawed.
>>
If you can't deal with your cat's clawing do not get a cat.
If you can't train a dog not to bite, do not get a dog.
If you can't be bothered to secure your cables, do not get a rabbit.

Why is it so hard to understand? You can't just cripple your pets for convenience.
>>
i don't care if people declaw their cats

i wouldn't put up with a cat with or without claws and i think catfags in general are pretty stupid but i'm not going to judge someone for not wanting some dumb, gross, useless animal destroying their things
>>
>>2359480
I had a cat that was so chill she would let me massage between her toes. She'd spread her toes and it made clipping her nails super easy.
>>
>>2359550
She gets pissed when you massage her paws. Especially her hind legs
>>
File: Main_Graphic_Claws.jpg (43KB, 611x216px) Image search: [Google]
Main_Graphic_Claws.jpg
43KB, 611x216px
>>2359471

It's illegal in the UK, thank goodness. It's a mutilation, end of story, and one I'd argue is without any real reason. There's a huge reason why the vast majority of vets in the UK won't dock tails/remove hind dew claws anymore either for non-medical reasons.

>>2359487 This guy has it bang on,
>>
>>2359471
http://www.paw-rescue.org/declaw_paper.php

> 31% of all cat owners in the United States have their cats declawed

There's varying numbers between 25-40% because it's all estimated.
>>
File: 1488408946462.jpg (33KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1488408946462.jpg
33KB, 640x360px
This is why cats need claws
>>
>>2359948
Puma just wants to play
>>
>>2359464
In the US, declawing is very much seen as a routine surgery. I work at a shelter and a significant number of people will adopt cats and declaw them as a matter of course without even trying to train them to use a scratching post.
>>
>>2359985
I've been hearing vets are actually talking people into it in some places. I worked at a shelter and I know exactly what you mean; I've seen people get hyper, active kittens to declaw them when we had plenty of friendly, active adult cats that were already declawed. It's infuriating. I'm sure they wouldn't even bother adopting from a shelter sometimes if it wasn't the cheapest way to get a kitten with all the works done.
>>
>>2360159

If this happens, you need to find the vets and report them to the American Veterinary Association. Quite honestly I'm appalled if this is the case, all the literature and our teaching points to the fact declawing is not justified in the vast majority of cases.
>>
File: lnCggcJbfrY8E.gif (490KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
lnCggcJbfrY8E.gif
490KB, 500x280px
>>2360162
Isn't the AVA for declawing?
>>
>>2359155
What the fuck is that gif? Please tell me you don't want to declaw your cats so they will play with your dick without scratching it.
>>
>>2360242

Nope.

https://www.avma.org/KB/Policies/Pages/Declawing-of-Domestic-Cats.aspx
https://www.avma.org/KB/Resources/LiteratureReviews/Documents/declawing_bgnd.pdf

It's more "choice" based than I'd like (I'm a UK vet student, and it's illegal over here- quite honestly I find the practice appalling), but it's more against than for.
>>
>>2360339
Even Brazil doesn't declaw cats. You know something is wrong when a shit hole country refuses to do it.
>>
>>2359155
>it's legal for landlords to demand declawing and devocalization for tenants
>>
>>2360536
And the potential tennant has the right to choose other accommodations.
Like one of the many other places for rent that do not force unreasonable rules on you and your animal.
>>
>>2360543
And the landlord has the right to keep a slick lawyer under his sleeve, emboldening him to not mention any such rule until demanding in the middle of winter that the cat be declawed and devocalized, just like they have the right to abruptly jack up rent rates, even when there ostensibly are laws against it.
>>
>>
>>2360558
>just like they have the right to abruptly jack up rent rates, even when there ostensibly are laws against it.
I don't think you know the meaning of right and laws dude.

The landlord does not have the RIGHT to jack up rent if there are LAWS against it.

He may do so anyway because he feels he will face no repercussions (probably because his tenants are retarded college kids), but that does not mean he has the right.
>>
>>2360638
Nope, there can be laws against jacking up rates, and therefore the scummy unwashed plebs are officially protected, and then there's simply sweeping exceptions to those laws, making them effectively useless. But hey, the laws are there, so damn well better be grateful!

And be grateful that you get to have such special, beautiful, intricate laws that are just oodles upon oodles of surprises! Why, you could even conceivably end up with a big, magical hollywood moment with a brave, valiant lawyer fighting-the-good-fight on your behalf, just imagine, you could end up so cherished by the system, being in the spotlight, and having your life filled with action like that!
>>
>>2360658
communist LARPing spotted

cite your laws and cite your sweeping exceptions or GTFO
>>
>>2360661
For example:
http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/we-didn-t-take-it-seriously-tenant-shocked-by-doubling-of-condo-rent-1.3354229
but of course they must be determined to keep things interesting, having different laws and using different tricks in different places.
>>
>>2360260
Even if that were the case, you'd still have to worry about teeth
>>
>>2360870
>not de-teething your cat
What kind of shit owner are you?
>>
One of my cats I got from the shelter was declawed, I really wish he still had his claws, hes so helpless. Love the fluffly fuck though
>>
>>2360695
>ca

Instantly disregarded.
>>
>>2360536
>It's legal for a landlord to demand devocalization

What cunt decided that was acceptable when bark collars exist?
>>
If this is the cat general I'd like to know if there's a breed as friendly and loyal as the siamese? I had to have euthanised my 14 years old cat yesterday and my mum is really sad because she was close to her. I'm thinking of getting her another siamese in a couple of weeks but I wonder if there's another breed that likes to be around people as much as them.
>>
It's bullshit. There are certain things you must accept when you get a pet. Cats scratch things, dogs bark, bunnies chew, etc. If you can't deal with it, don't get the pet. Buy a pet rock.
>>
>>2360915
I'm sure it's a very rare case, and in no way an example of a normal rental agreement.
>>
>>2360941
You should probably wait a little while so she can heal before jumpin into another cat
I know there's people who have no problem doing things like that but a lot of other people can't really jump into a new pet like that after losing one.

Maybe you should talk to her about it rather than surprising her unless it's like a birthday surprise or something.
>>
>>2360941
I suggest letting your mother decide when she wants a new cat and what cat to get.
>>
>>2361008
>>2361186
She wants to get another cat soon because the house feels empty.
You're not answering my question though.
>>
File: 1478634145532.gif (2MB, 267x200px) Image search: [Google]
1478634145532.gif
2MB, 267x200px
>>2359155
>adopt a cat thats already declawed
>live out in the boonies
>its a hybrid indoor/outdoor cat but really want him to keep mice away
>think to myself "well he loves climbing up the tree to chill and jumping to the roof so he should be able to hide from larger predators"
>almost every other week I walk outside in the morning to find a dead raccoon, possum or and mice on my front porch with my cat strutting around and gloating its ass off
>>
>>2359155
I'm not going to judge you if you do, but I'd feel bad if I couldn't take care of my cat and it had to fend for itself and it couldn't because it was essentially crippled by me.

You're making the cat more or less dependent on some human, whether it's you or someone else.
>>
I've had both. I don't believe in declawing myself, but I've adopted cats that were already declawed.

in my experience, they weren't more likely to be affectionate, however,t hey were more likely to be neurotic or anxious, and had a lot of problems using the litterbox.

The anxiety obviously comes from walking around with amputated toes, and not being able to defend themselves. They get very submissive around other cats. This makes them feel insecure about their territory pretty much all the time.

This is fairly common in declawed cats, as the procedure makes squatting to go to the bathroom, and trying to cover it literally painful for the rest of their life.

So, you may have a cuddly submissive cat if you declaw it, but you are also way more likely to have a cat that pees and shits on everything you own.
>>
File: tumblr_of7dhpM63K1qag4jlo2_1280.jpg (147KB, 625x833px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_of7dhpM63K1qag4jlo2_1280.jpg
147KB, 625x833px
>>2359464
>>2359985
>>2360159
this is actually disgusting to hear and it sickens me that people still want to go through with the procedure let alone preform the procedure themselves
>>
>>2360941
Moggies.
>>
I think /an/ over exaggerates the declawing thing.

My mother has a declawed cat for years and it never has any behavioral problems. It's very trusting around people it knows and enjoys being pet, and uses the literbox just fine.
>>
>>2359155
DON'T DECLAW THE CAT
YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE
>>
File: Dumb Cat.jpg (35KB, 460x345px) Image search: [Google]
Dumb Cat.jpg
35KB, 460x345px
>>
>>2360941
Bombays are good, loving family cats
>>
>>2361409
not every mutilated person suffers phantom limb syndrome or chronic pain, but it is still very very common
>>
File: WikiHow (1).jpg (130KB, 728x546px) Image search: [Google]
WikiHow (1).jpg
130KB, 728x546px
>>
>>2359287
Wow kid that's so edgy! Where'd ya come up with that? xD
>>
File: 23ve0qo.jpg (210KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
23ve0qo.jpg
210KB, 1200x1600px
>>2359632
THIS, A THOUSAND TIMES and more than you think.
>>
https://youtu.be/OS69wu_etMY
>>
I find it very amusing that no one had it done simply because their family always had it done, because I often hear that as an excuse. When it's an anonymous survey, I think the people who say that tend to actually do it because they value their furniture and just use that as an excuse
>>
>>2359155
The fuck? This poll is retarded. I wouldn't ever declaw a cat, I am strongly against it, but I would not say no to rehoming a cat just because someone else did it a disservice.
>>
>>2362437
how is the poll retarded? Because you don't get to tell the world you hate declawing?

It's about re-homing declawed cats, not getting them declawed. There's even an option for what you said
>>
>>2360543
The two processes themselves should be illegal, and demanding an illegal action of your tenant should be illegal.
>>
>>2362440
No, but none of the options fit.

Yes, I would consider a declawed cat. No, not because I care about my property, not for safety, and not because it's tradition.
>>
>>2362447
so, would it be "It doesn't matter to me whether the cat was declawed or not"?

Or is there a reason you want a declawed cat? Keyword being want, as in you'd prefer a declawed cat over one with claws
>>
>>2362451
But it does matter
No, there's no reason I want one

I would consider one for adoption, which is what was asked. However it does matter, and I dont have a reason to specifically want them declawed.
>>
>>2362445
>The two processes themselves should be illegal
But they're not, sadly.
Renters still have the freedom of choice, which was my original point. Nobody is forcing anyone to sign a lease that sucks for your animals.
>>
File: 1463615986324.jpg (44KB, 417x627px) Image search: [Google]
1463615986324.jpg
44KB, 417x627px
>>2361409
>I think
Good thing no one gives two shits what you thing faggot. Maybe we should cut off your fingers to prevent you from sharing such worthless opinions.
>>
>>2362463
So you do just want to preach that you are opposed to declawing. We get it, you are better than everyone else.

The 'it doesn't matter' is in a sense that you'd get a declawed cat but not for a specific reason, it just happened to be a cat that was declawed. If you have to pump your opinions in everything, maybe anonymous polls are not for you.
>>
>>2362505
i wouldn't be able to finger your mom every night thou
>>
File: 1470158772993.gif (174KB, 299x240px) Image search: [Google]
1470158772993.gif
174KB, 299x240px
>>2362563
Wow, where to start. You're a mess, a big fat mess. You can tell he's not one of mine folks, just look at him! I'll bring in these guys, great guys let me tell you, better than this character. It's like a dumpster fire here folks, many such cases. Sad!
>>
>>2362559
No, I'm saying the poll is retarded because I cannot answer without lying. I don't need to say that I hate declawing cats, they could have

>I would consider declawed cats for adoption

This would be a true statement for me, I would vote this, and it makes no judgement on declawing.
>>
>>2362568
lol trump xD

am i relevant yet?
>>
>>2362735
it doesn't matter refers to implications of owning a cat, not you specific opinions on owning a cat. How can you not understand this?

Let me put it this way, would you ONLY consider adopting declawed cats?
>>
I just pinch their paws gently when they are young and remind them again if they start using them again. Works like a charm for me. I don't understand why they declaw cats.
>>
>>2359365

> Irreversibly mutilating not one, but three living creatures without their consent for the sake of convenience

I hate you with the intensity of a thousand thousand blazing suns. The entirety of human language cannot begin to express my disdain for you, you sniveling worm, you grunting ape, you whining dog. You've insulted, demeaned, and outright mocked forces beyond your comprehension, and an end shall soon be upon you. As we speak, the legions of Hades come against you, there will be no mercy, no recompense, and no respite, for your transgressions are beyond forgiveness, and you will answer for them. Eternal torment and woe be upon you, lowliest of fools, weakest of men, dirtiest of filth, for oblivion's embrace is beyond you.
>>
>>2362848
>implying animals can consent

You forced this stupid argument, now you have to live with the implications faggot.
>>
>>2359155
>declawing a cat
That is like cutting a mans foreskin off.

sure he can still live but he will never experience life as it was meant to be.
>>
>>2359169

in addition to this, my roommate has a declawed cat, and she is very aggressive. i can't be sure she wasn't like that before.
>>
>>2362879
Just the vet de clawing the cat can fuck them up for life.

My tabby cat wasnt declawed but he had to spend a week in the vet when he was about 9 months old, before going in the vet he was the most loving cat imaginable, loved to sit on your lap, could be picked up and carried around anywhere he loved it.

To this day after coming back from the vet you can not pick him up without him losing his fucking mind.

Obviously got mentally fucked up by the whole experience.
>>
>>2360558
I just told my landlords no when they'd ask me to take down my fishtank. What shit circus do you live in? Everyone does like fish unlike cats though.
>>
>>2359194
Maybe they should grow hands to use holy grenades
>>
>>2362735
If that was an option, then all of the 'yes I would adopt a declawed cat because' options would be null and it could produce incorrect results. If you can't tell what this poll is asking, maybe you should come back to 4chan when you're 18.
>>
File: 1481025171898.jpg (30KB, 460x361px) Image search: [Google]
1481025171898.jpg
30KB, 460x361px
>>2359155
>Declawing
Only in the country where parents cut of a part of their sons dick because a cornflakes guy tells them to, would you ever seriously consider to do such a thing
>>
>>2363132
>butthurt about losing the logistical lottery and not being born in the greatest country in the world
Stay salty you dirty foreigner
>>
>>2363132
Americans have an obsession with expensive cosmetic surgeries to make themselves """"more perfect""". Bleached white eggs, bleached white teeth, bleached white personalities.
>>
File: 1492630966925.jpg (1MB, 1920x1210px) Image search: [Google]
1492630966925.jpg
1MB, 1920x1210px
>>2363161
Sure buddy
>>
File: kangaroo.jpg (102KB, 515x768px) Image search: [Google]
kangaroo.jpg
102KB, 515x768px
>>2359155
Of all the declawed cats i've had any extended contact with, only one was well adjusted. Do with that what you will.
>>
>>2363243
>He thinks every white in the US is like this.
>>
>>2359155
Declawing is cruel, always.

Parents had family cat declawed and still let it outside. I'm sure you can guess what happened. She survived, barely, and lived the rest of her life (another 6-7yr) with a broken tail.
>>
>>2361409
The people who did my first cat's declawing did an absolute shit job. His stitching came undone a few days later and my parents had to take him to another vet to get them fixed. Made his front paws into little useless pancake mitts. Miraculously he didn't develop any neurosis or anxiety and could use his litterbox just fine. Only thing is he became much more sessile but that might be more on the part of him getting neutered rather than the foot mutilation.
>>
>>2359985
I have never understood that either. Get a scratching post and sprinkle a little catnip on it every now and then and they have no desire to scratch on anything else.
>>
>>2360941
Get a shelter cat like a normal person you triple nigger.
>>
Is it bad that this gif turns me on
>>
>>2364115
>is it bad seeing someone pleasure themselves turns me on

No?
>>
>>2363243
https://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/2015/01/07/claims-that-us-is-a-genetic-melting-pot-appear-overblown-if-youre-white/

White americans are really white
Hispanics are mostly white
Even the blacks are 30% white

The hispanics that call themselves white do not make white americans unwhite. If you took a look at America's genes as a whole we are a white country.

I will agree we have a demographic problem but this meme is fucking dumb
>>
>>2363132
I'm not going to circumcise my kids or declaw my cat
Foreigner BTFO
What now yurocuck?
>>
>>2364123
Congratz for having common decency
>>
>>2363243
people get triggered the other way too
>where are you from
america
>no. like, where are your parents from?
america
>no. i mean where are your grandparents from?
america
>NO!
Thread posts: 104
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.