[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /an/, my aunt & uncle found this guy in their backyard

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
Hey /an/, my aunt & uncle found this guy in their backyard a few days ago and decided to keep him. They got him a cage and some food and just went out of town so I'm in charge of him for the next week or so.
Could somebody identify the type of parrot(?) this is? We live in Southern Arizona although I'm fairly certain this isn't a native bird, lol.

I've read up a bit on care for them, from what I can tell the diet is leafy greens and fruit plus nuts, seeds, pasta and some other misc stuff. Is that good? Theyve been feeding him from some bag of parrot treats that's like dried fruit and nuts, and I've been giving him some romaine lettuce, strawberries, grapes, popcorn, cashews, and veggie straws.
>>
>>2358988
sorry for sideways pic

I let him out in my room to let him stretch out and explore a little and he flew around frantically and eventually landed on my motherboard box and took a bite out of it lmfao, then my dumbfuck little brother scared him with a laser and he panicked and flew onto my back. I coaxed him onto the floor with food (because I was honestly terrified with him climbing all over me) and then set his cage down next to him and he hopped right back in, thank god
>>
File: IMG_9437.jpg (34KB, 407x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9437.jpg
34KB, 407x450px
Not sure what to tell you op but I'll bump this for you
>>
>>2358997
thx senpai, does it look like a Festive Amazon to you? Google that
>>
>>2358988
Does he fly very well? If not then he may be a neighbor's that escaped. Unless you're wanting to keep him..
>>
>>2359001
The long tail automatically disqualifies it as an amazon parrot. Looks more like a peach-fronted conure.

Also, sounds like you're on the right track in caring for him. A lot of parrots are used to seed-only diets though so be aware if he's not eating any food that isn't familiar to him.

Keep things calm and fairly quiet around him too since he will still be settling in to his new environment. Parrots are prey animals so are more prone to be anxious and stressed. They need some time to adjust and calm down a bit when they're in a new place.
>>
>>2359059
They looked around for any missing parrot stuff and asked at a nearby zoo if he had gotten out of there with no luck so they're going to keep him unless somebody claims him
>>
There's feral parrots in AZ but if he is friendly probably just escaped.
>>
>>2358988
orange-fronted Conure/Parakeet
>>
>>2359186
define "friendly"
he's definitely not aggressive, he eats from my hand and doesnt seem at all inclined to bite, but hes rather skittish and not exactly sociable
>>
>>2359231
>>2359075
Thanks, pretty sure its a peach fronted conure

He's picky and also prone to taking a bite out of something then dropping it onto the floor

His favorite foods are definitely nuts and veggie straws, should I stop feeding him the latter? They're fairly salty and I've read that salt isn't good for them but he's very fond of them and holds them with his foot and gnaws on them like a dog with a bone, it keeps him entertained and quiet
Also, how do I get him to eat more greens? If I stick some leafy stuff in his cage he'll usually take a few bites then ignore it and refuse to eat any more for a few hours. He likes grapes though
>>
>>2359075
>>2359461
also, do you think he's a juvenile or adult?
When they found him they automatically assumed he was a baby so I've been thinking of him as a juvenile since then, but peach-fronted conures apparently get about 10 in long and I'd say he's close to that
>>
>>2359461
>>2359463
Honestly, take this to a parrot-centric forum for better advice. /an/ has maybe a few knowledgeable anons vs a whole community of parrotfags elsewhere
>>
>>2359457
Eating from your hand and not biting you means friendly. Being skittish and not sociable means s/he doesn't know you (yet). These birds live for a few decades, so they take their time, you know? Just like dogs and cats really.

Also, confiscate your dumfuck brother's laser.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.