[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a pair of American Kestrels nesting on my property. Two

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: AK.jpg (234KB, 820x1024px) Image search: [Google]
AK.jpg
234KB, 820x1024px
I have a pair of American Kestrels nesting on my property. Two years ago I had a nesting pair in the same location, and they had three or four babies. When it was time for them to leave the nest they couldn't fly and spent time on ground level. But there are stray cats in the area, coyotes, red-tailed hawks, eagles, etc and some of the babies were killed. I had people come out to take the remaining baby and they raised it in captivity until it could be released.

I'd want to have this year's batch of babies survive. I can't surround the nest in a tall fence, since the babies can't do a VTOL like a harrier. I could build a platform under the nest, but they would probably fall off of that also. Is there a way to ensure that their babies survive on their own, or would I have to call the Audubon society before they attempt to leave the nest?

Also, could I do something to provide for the nesting Kestrels? Like leave meat out for them?
>>
>>2358534
You want them to survive? Take them in, feed them minced food. Capture mother so when you release babies she is still attached and can teach them how to hunt.

Otherwise just stomp on them and get their tiny lives over with, life is nothing but pain.
>>
>>2358534
You could take the birds in after they fall out of the nest, and then call the society. It won't kill them to be in your care for a few hours or a day. The society or some other wildlife rehab is probably the best chance they have.
>>
>>2358534
Baby birds usually aren't all that great at flying right after they leave the nest. It takes a few weeks for their feathers and muscles to develop enough to move around well. That's a big reason why small birds have so many babies--they know some will likely get eaten during that time period. It's tough, but that's life.

If the chicks were completely flightless last year then something must have spooked them out of the nest too early.

If you absolutely have to do something for these birds because of autism/OCD/whatever, then do this:

Kestrels like nesting in holes in trees, so I'm assuming that's where your nest is. If you know where the nest is, wait for the chicks to hatch and then put a platform under the hole. Doing it before then could cause the parents to abandon the nest. Once the chicks hatch they'll be to invested in it to leave. You can't do it too late after they hatch either, otherwise it will just be a repeat of last year's forced-fledging.
>>
>>2358600
it's not just autism/OCD, kestrel population is declining, and they eat the invasive european starlings. so by ensuring that all the babies live then I contribute to the death of violent migrant birds

I'll probably set up a makeshift fence after the babies are born, then check on the penned off area daily. once they're on the ground then I'll scoop them up and call the authorities
>>
>>2358534
Their young should not be on the ground at all anon. Something went wrong with your last batch.

I have these on my property as well. Like every other wild creature they don't generally need, or want, any assistance and should be left alone anyways. If you have a feral cat problem deal with it.

Also I would think these are too small to prey on adult starlings. I usually see them squabbling loudly over mice or just don't see any other small birds around wherever they set up shop.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.