[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://www.reviews.com/cat-food/ How accurate is this list?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 20170415_223855.jpg (342KB, 653x694px) Image search: [Google]
20170415_223855.jpg
342KB, 653x694px
http://www.reviews.com/cat-food/

How accurate is this list? My cat is a domestic shorthair, and the vet recommended hills science diet. I found out they have poor ingredients, so I'm on the lookout for better food. What do you feed your cats?

I'm looking for food that supports quality of life rather than just survival.
>>
>>2358386
Hmmm, part of their judgement about non-options apparently is based on the menu-foods melamine scandal. That was indeed awful, but I'm not sure if all distributors that actually had that as a supplier allowed the product out and actually poisoned animals.

I'm curious about how valid their "meat product" disqualification is.
>>
>>2358386

What has he recommended science diet for? A basic maintenance food, or for a specific disease process?
>>
>>2358386
I live in California and have a Costco membership so I usually just buy a 25lbs bag of cat food there. Kirkland/Costco produces pretty good quality cat food and it's affordable since you're buying in bulk

I used to feed my cat MeowMix before this until I looked into why she was shedding so much.

Turns out it was because I was a retard and fed her the nutritional equivalent of McDonald's twice a day for a year
>>
>>2358386
>vet recommended hills science diet

All depends on how old your vet is, and how much they care about nutrition, and if your cat has a specific renal failure of sorts.

Unfortunately, there's a huge lack of knowledge and understanding when it comes to nutrition with older vets. They come from an age where most of their literature came from a sponsored segment by Purina or Hills.

It still happens today, to be fair. All the talks I've seen about diet and nutrition for vets comes with a 15 minute infomercial by whatever marketing buff has arranged the talk. And they get a captive audience as it's the easiest way for most vets to get their yearly CPD. The talks themselves are great, but when you just need something to shove in the direction of most of your patients, and they just don't care to listen to why you think "X brand is best, because...", then Hills will do just fine.

Hills is good for its specific disease processes though, that I will say.
>>
>>2358454

But she likes Chicken
And she likes Liver...
>>
>>2358454
When I got mine from the animal shelter, I asked them what they fed their cats, and they said it was all donated food. However, they said stay away from MeowMix, didn't say why, I guess it's so bad that even if it's donated to them, they won't feed it to their cats.
>>
I feed my old ass cat fancy feast cause ahe cant chew no more
>>
science diets are a scam. the patrician choice is giving your cats cooked portions fortified with nutrients dep. on your cat's weight, height and lifestyle. this isn't an option for normies because le having to measure shit and shoving unsalted chicken and offal into le oven and turning a switch, feeding a raw bone once a week is too hard for nu-males who can't into /ck/. canned diets are invariably

- stupid expensive
- made with scrap cuts (the shit that can't even be repackaged as a higher end brand)
- high sodium (because it makes the cats more willing to eat it)

The labeling laws in regards to feline nutrition are vague to the consumer. There are only about half a dozen companies in the United States that produce wet cat food. This means that your brands are by and large meaningless, they all source from the big manufacturers like Evangers and Mars Petcare, P&G and Simmons. "High end brands" are just the better cuts from these processing facilities.
>>
>>2358450
So for a while she threw up every day. I think it's because I was an idiot and fed her purina kitten food. At one point her vomit had a red tinge. Also, her feces had blood in it. It could have also been because I tried taking her on a lead outside and she got fleas. She might have gotten worms from that.

>>2358455
The vet is a bit older, past middle age and from the Philippines. I saw he got his degree from there so somehow I question how accurate his recommendations are, especially since cats there are different from the ones here.

My cat had hills I/D prescription diet for at least a month, and she stopped vomiting and pooping blood. I transitioned her to hills kitten food for healthy development, so her current food isn't for a specific disease process.

The vet didn't say what was wrong with her. He said it could be irritable bowel syndrome. He gave a dewormer, did a test for giardia, and gave enteric formula.

I'm just glad it stopped. But she's pretty small and I heard her mom was small too. I just hope it's not because of poor nutrition. She's 10-11 months old and around 8.6 pounds.

>>2358454
I'm in California too. I might check it out. Her digestive system is just so sensitive that I worry she'll vomit again.
>>
>>2358648
Any wonder many people simply feed their pets whatever?

But of course, such an option is a huge threat to the cat food companies, so of course they're out to vilify you and cast you as sloppy, whimsical and "irresponsible" if you feed your animals anything but "pet food".
>>
>>2358648
Do you have recipes?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.