[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

my 9 year old doodler is dragging his back legs today. I noticed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

my 9 year old doodler is dragging his back legs today. I noticed it a little bit the other day while we were out for a particularly long walk, but today it's more noticeable
I know what doggy hip dyplasia looks like and this looks like it

how long does he have left? ;_;
>>
>>2354983
one day
>>
three hours so by the time this is posted he should be dead
>>
>>2355011
>>2355174
be nice
>>
>>2354983

It depends. It sounds like you need to get to the vet OP and determine just how bad his legs are. At the very least he could do with a full clinical workup, but your vet may well suggest x-rays as well.

Nine is a very late onset for hip dysplasia, normally it is present within the first few years of life. I'm going to guess this could be osteoarthritis, but without examining the dog/taking an x-ray it could be almost anything musculo-skeletal/nerve wise.

TLDR: Go to the vet, stop whining on the internet about how long your dog has to live. It could be a perfectly manageable condition with analgesics and your dog could well have a good number of years left. Asking a load of strangers on the internet who know about as much medical anatomy as a dog knows how to skydive is asking for trouble.
>>
it's worse than I thought! I did the maths and he's actually 10, going on 11 this year in august!!

>>2355342
you see the problem with the vet is the tremendous cost.
a couple of years ago he was scratching a lot, I felt under his fur and he had what looked to me like a serious fungal infection, it was very lumpy and spread out several inches across his side.
I took him to the vet and the vet didn't even take him into an examining room, I walked 5 feet in the door, the vet was in the lobby, looked at it for half a second and said "It's just a scab" and charged me $90 for that

I'm not kidding you when I say I was in the building for under 30 seconds
>>
>>2354983
So long as you get them medicated for it, a while. I've had my dog for as long as I care to remember and she does fine even with her dyplasia.
>>
>>2355776
Go to a different vet?

Also, if $90 is unmanageable to you, you shouldn't have a dog
>>
>>2355793
$90 to glance at a scab in the lobby? I can only imagine how much an actual exam would be
>>
>>2355819
Was he right? Did it go away on its own? You didn't say otherwise so I assume the $90 was in part due to a timewaster fee
>>
>>2355853
what waste of time? he was standing in the lobby when I walked in
>hi my dog has a weird looking rash on his skin
>I spread his fur where it is
>he glances down at it
>that's just a scab
>oh..ok thanks
>that'll be $90
the fuck?
>>
>>2355858

If you don't like your current vet, find a new one. If your dog is dragging his hind limbs then they can't really just glance at your pup, at the absolute least they ought to palpate the joints to look at a range of movement.

From there you could probably choose to do further testing or not.

I can only apologise you had a bad experience, but you shouldn't just tar all vets with the same brush, and you certainly shouldn't avoid getting medical care for your dog because of it. You have a legal requirement to ensure his welfare and if he is dragging his back legs then it needs looking into.
>>
>>2355858
was he right? did it go away on its own? you never answered this.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.