[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm adopting a dog soon. The problem is, I live in a super

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: cameldoodle.jpg (31KB, 510x355px) Image search: [Google]
cameldoodle.jpg
31KB, 510x355px
I'm adopting a dog soon. The problem is, I live in a super uptight West Coast city (Seattle). I've heard horror stories about people getting turned down for adoptions because they weren't willing to consider a pitbull, might have kids someday, or made less than 100 K per year.

I've got a sweet house, a lot of dog experience, I live next door to a beautiful park AND a dog park, and I work from home. I can afford vet care if needed, toys, good food, grooming. I just want some kinda fluffy medium sized poodly kinda dog, probably a mix to take walks with and be my dogbro.

What are my chances of actually finding a dog in the shelters? Or will some PETA-militant vegan shelter volunteer just kick my ass out of the waiting room for making a breed specific request?
>>
It wouldn't hurt to ask to just see the dogs. Don't give them details unless necessary. If you haven't check out their websites to see the adoptions.
Poodles are awesome tho man and mix breeds are just as cool. Pick a guy who speaks to you
>>
>>2354753
>Poodles are awesome tho man and mix breeds are just as cool. Pick a guy who speaks to you
And then get rich by showing off your speaking dog.
>>
File: twix tree.png (126KB, 1034x870px) Image search: [Google]
twix tree.png
126KB, 1034x870px
>>2354752
>getting turned down for adoptions because they weren't willing to consider a pitbull
Probably because all they had were pit bulls. I've had a couple bitch me out because I 'wouldn't' adopt a dog out to them because they didn't want a pit bull mix, and their idea of a pit bull mix was any dog with wrinkles on it's head. So I had no dogs they were interested in.

I would suggest going to a pound if you don't want to deal with people asking questions and shit. But keep in mind you will be scraping from the bottom of the barrel. Puppies, small dogs, and high value breeds tend to go to rescues where the rescues can be as picky as they want because they are able to turn down surrenders and don't need to euthanize for space. Pounds on the other hand can not turn down surrenders, they are required to take in animals.

Another tip I have is that if you are set on adopting, do NOT go in expecting breeds to act like their breeds or mixes. One thing about shelter dogs is a tiny miniscule fraction actually come from breeders that care about their breeding stock and breed to a standard. So you might get a lab that's unusually prone to stranger aggression, a very stranger friendly GSD, etc. You have to go in thinking about the dog individually. For all you know, that dog has very little poodle in it and might actually be mostly beagle. Just be prepared for anything and don't let looks deceive you. I've seen too many people get a dog because they thought it looked like X breed and that it would act one way, and became very disappointed.
My aunt adopted what I thought was a beagle and cocker spaniel mix puppy, it's DNA ended up being pic related. Just as reference.
>>
>>2354781
How expensive was the DNA test? I'm kinda interested for my dog, but, it's not an important issue for me, would just be fun to know.
>>
>>2354781
>>2354753

Thanks, anons. I'm mostly looking at going to shelters.

I'm not too married to getting a particular breed or mix, I'm mostly looking for a good personality and a dog I will hit it off with.

Along with the horror stories, I've also heard from the other side. My brother is a vet tech, and his clinic does a lot of pro bono work for shelters. According to the folks he works with, most of the people who come in to adopt dogs really are not prepared to care for them, and the situation seems worse with cat adopters.

But this does leave me scared shitless that somehow, I won't measure up on paper. For a lot of reasons...I don't have a big yard, or because I am self-employed, something like that.
>>
File: spaniel.jpg (39KB, 450x390px) Image search: [Google]
spaniel.jpg
39KB, 450x390px
>>2354792
Close to $100. The best part was they got a puppy from this puppy rescue because they didn't want an aggressive dog, and the rescue assured them there would be no pit bull in it because it looked like a spaniel/hound. And then it ends up being mostly pit and boxer. Not having pit bull in it was like their biggest concern. Looks can be deceiving.

The puppy they got looks like pic related when it was young, but now she's like 40lbs

>>2354814
Honestly I think you would be fine. Self employed is generally a good thing because you get to make your hours. You still have a yard which is good, and you have a park to walk to. I do a lot of adoptions, and when people really talk up their yards I get more concerned that the family won't walk the dog and will instead stick it in the yard. From what I have seen, people who walk their dogs regularly have fewer behavior issues with their animals and fewer returns than if they never walk the dog. The kids thing I can honestly understand if I'm adopting out a dog that I don't see faring well with a baby trying to walk. But if a family seemed smart enough to separate the baby and dog and not leave them alone together I would consider it; however the vast majority of the population isn't that smart. The money situation I could honestly care less about as long as you can afford the dog. If you are complaining about a $50 adoption fee then I get a little worried about the financial setting. Then again I work in a shelter in NY so standards may be different, but I honestly think even most rescues would adore you, let alone shelters and pounds.
>>
>>2354814
Go to petfinder. You can search for dogs within 100 miles of your zip code. They pull mostly from rescues because shelters aren't usually that great about updating their info. If you think it's only pit bulls in your area, expand your search.

As for rescues turning you down, it depends on the rescue. I got approved for a 4mo collie/lab mix puppy and I lived in an apartment with no yard, was a first time dog owner, and had no references or nothing. I did have a lot of time to spend with him and I guess that was their major deciding factor. Later found out they were one of the shittier rescues (they lied about him being neutered already but still expected me to neuter him immediately, he had fleas/tapeworms/giardia/coccidia all at once, etc), but the point is, I got the dog and he's fine now. If you don't feel comfortable with a home visit, there are other rescues who won't do one and it's ok to leave the one you were considering. There are poodly dogs everywhere--even in not mainly in your area--you'll find one.
>>
>>2355215
Does that DNA test include looking for genetic issues or?
>>
>>2354752
Be informed about the breed. Not just "it looks kewl"
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.