[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your stance on the Oregon state bird controversy? People

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7

File: RIP.jpg (144KB, 869x683px) Image search: [Google]
RIP.jpg
144KB, 869x683px
What is your stance on the Oregon state bird controversy?

People on bird forums are in a state of panic and anger because an Oregon senator proposed changing the state bird from Western Meadowlark to Osprey. It has already passed the senate and now the state house has to vote on it.

tl;dr the meadowlark was chosen as the state bird in 1927 by some school children and some people are in a tizzy now that one man wants to change it based on his preference without giving the population of the entire state a say in the matter.
>>
>>2354614
Don't like 5 states have osprey as their bird? Why the change
>>
>>2354622
>badass bird of prey, vs a songbird
>>
>>2354653
>retarded sea eagle vs cute, intelligent, and inquisitive songbird
>>
>>2354622
Look how many states have a fucking cardinal as the state bird.
I don't think any thought is put in the selection process
>>
>>2354614

ospreys are shit birds
>>
>without giving the population of the entire state a say in the matter.
each person is free to write their congressmen and tell them how they want them to vote
>>
>>2354614
Jesus fucking Christ, who the fuck cares.
Have the people complaining beat up by cops, and have the senators and representatives who even bothered with that shit fired and replaced.
>>
Has any state picked an invasive or non native species for their state animal/plant/whatever?
>>
>>2354614
>one man wants to change it based on his preference without giving the population of the entire state a say in the matter.

Yea, fuck that.

There's too much of that faggotry going on in government these days. Dude should be ran out of the state on a rail.
>>
>>2354704
>each person is free to write their congressmen and tell them how they want them to vote

Each congresscum is free to ignore the ever loving shit out of the will of the majority and vote how they can best serve their own best interests, and the interests of their corrupt political party.

We need to start hanging government scum at all levels in order to remind them of what the fuck their purpose is, and it's NOT ignoring the people.
>>
>>2354622
>Don't like 5 states have osprey as their bird?
you're thinking of meadowlarks
>>
Ospreys are rad.

Western Meadowlark queer faggots can go eat a dick.
>>
Nice bird!
>>
File: Resting Turtles.jpg (60KB, 600x447px) Image search: [Google]
Resting Turtles.jpg
60KB, 600x447px
>>2354761
Hawaii has the gold dust day gecko as their reptile. It isn't native, but they don't have any native land reptiles in the first place. There is a debatable, mostly ignored, skink species, but nobody cares. Green sea turtles were another option.
>>
File: 0617-05Kukuitree.jpg (106KB, 480x551px) Image search: [Google]
0617-05Kukuitree.jpg
106KB, 480x551px
>>2354761
Also, their tree is a polynesian introduction. Not native. I'm also unsure if the reptile designation is official. I could've sworn it was, but I'm seeing some conflict on that.
>>
>>2354825
apparently only 26 states have officially chosen state reptiles. hawaii's day gecko is unofficial as state reptile
>>
>>2354704
>each person is free to write their congressmen and tell them how they want them to vote

It's still not giving the people a say. It just comes down to "OSPREY? YES/NO"

People want some kind of a way to choose which bird is chosen, not just have one at random thrust at them.
>>
>>2354761
Rhode Island and Delaware both have breeds of chicken for their state birds.
>>
>>2354911
Look direct democracy is useful sometimes, but choosing official state symbols is not one of those uses.
>>
while it's not really worth getting up in arms over, it's also not worth pissing off a bunch of people by arbitrarily changing it

so, uh
everyone is dumb
>>
>>2354889
Ah, thanks for clearing that up.
>>
>>2354622
Ospreys are fucking everywhere in Oregon.
>>2354660
My home state bird is the cactus wren.
>>
>>2355064
There could just be an informal state-wide poll on what bird people want most, like just host it on Audubon's site, and then the winner can be voted on by congress to get approved or not.
>>
>>2355186
state bird is a cactus?
lol what??? must be a dumb liberal state kek
>>
File: CactusWren.jpg (57KB, 755x596px) Image search: [Google]
CactusWren.jpg
57KB, 755x596px
>>2355399
>>
File: db0.jpg (26KB, 349x642px) Image search: [Google]
db0.jpg
26KB, 349x642px
>>2355399
>>
>>2354660
you think thats bad look how many states have the brook trout as the state fish.
>>
File: Reef_Triggerfish_1.jpg (385KB, 842x548px) Image search: [Google]
Reef_Triggerfish_1.jpg
385KB, 842x548px
>>2355411
>Hawaii
>Humuhumunukunukuāpuaʻa
>>
>>2355046
That's just because the Rhode Island Red is based as fuck.

>>2355466
I had an electronic "learn your states" board as a kid.
"The state fish of Hawaii is the - Huma huma nooka nooka wapua ah."
Just about wore that key out.
>>
>>2355520
>not just calling it the Humanookawapuaah.

Pretentious natives
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.