[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>5 year old kitteh seems to be scratching himself a lot, better

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_20161106_152125101.jpg (469KB, 1456x819px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161106_152125101.jpg
469KB, 1456x819px
>5 year old kitteh seems to be scratching himself a lot, better go to the vet to make sure everything's okay
>vet examines him
>wait, he's yellowish all over
>didn't realize any of this because pretty badly colorblind
>have some tests done
>week later learn he has highly aggressive lymphoma
>massive tumors on his spleen, intestines, liver and his lymph nodes are fucked
>fucking devastated
>nurse and vet advise me to give him corticosteroids to make him feel more or less normal until it's time to call it a day

So what signs am I supposed to look for when it's time? The last thing I want is to live without my best friend but at the same time I don't want him to suffer. I tried asking the vets but they were vague as fuck and it's my first cat so I can't rely on experience. For example for the last week he's been not pooping for days on end and letting it all loose all over the floor in one go so I'm guessing his intestine tumor is getting bad, but the rest of the time he seems more or less fine. Would that count as severe enough to do it?

I don't know what to do.
pls help me
>>
I'm sorry this is happening op.

Watch for changes in his behavior. You will know when he's really in pain.

Make sure you give him some good last days op, he looks like a great pet.
>>
>>2353445
Okay, that sounds very reasonable, thanks.

>Make sure you give him some good last days op, he looks like a great pet.
I'm doing my best. Feeding him his favorite cheapass junk kibble and the occasional tuna since his long term health is not really an issue anymore, cuddling him to the point where he almost gets irritated and all that.

I just wish I could spend more time with him instead of being at work.
>>
Sorry man, sucks to go through this.

When my cat had cancer she hung on for a good while, but when her time came her condition deteriorated rapidly. From what I understand this is typical- though ultimately it's your call if you think they're suffering too much as it is.

Sounds like you're giving the cat lots of love and attention, though. Sometimes that's all you can really do.
>>
I feel you OP.
My cat had a massive rapid growing tumor that was pushing all his organs to one side of his body. The vet estimated he had about a month to live and said "we'll know when the time comes".

He actually seemed fine for another 4 months before he started peeing himself every time he slept. A few days after that he became extremely vocal and had an insatiable appetite. He'd eat until he threw up and then eat some more. We took that change in behaviour as the sign. He would have only gone downhill from there.
>>
>>2353470
That's all you can really do at this point op. Looks for signs of pain and end it then.

Give him a nice old scruff on the head and a neck scratch for me
>>
File: IMG_20170102_132704729.jpg (545KB, 1415x1061px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170102_132704729.jpg
545KB, 1415x1061px
Thank you famalams, I think I'll manage to take the right decision.

Now to figure out how to stop crying like a bitch.
>>
it's not very polite to ask, but i'm morbidly curious... [spoiler]how much did you have to pay for the treatments? [\spoiler]
>>
File: IMG_20160522_181418323.jpg (185KB, 818x949px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160522_181418323.jpg
185KB, 818x949px
>>2353760
Corticosteroids with pill pocket treats included is a joke, like 30 syrupdollars a month.
The expensive part was the testing and I'm guessing the euthanasia, especially since I'm gonna ask a home vet.
>>
i'm sorry, it's really a terrible question... i have a cat myself, his name is chip. he is fine and dandy, but i'm always dreading those final days... just forget what i said. mod please delete my posts
>>
Looks so much like my kittu OP, I'm sad too now.

You gave him a happy life, he knows that, that's all we're here to do.
>>
>>2353766
In-home euth is a great choice. I hope it goes very peacefully for you both. Get a new kitty to help you heal. A loving home like yours should not be kittyless. Some kitty out there deserves it.
>>
>>2353791
We'll see, I'm still unsure about a possible career switch that would make me work away from home for long stints but at the same time I have a deep desire to take care of shelter cats that don't get anywhere near the love they deserve like the blind, handicapped and senior ones to name a few.

I'm just afraid that it'll feel like I'm replacing him, he's irreplaceable.
>>
File: A dog's last will and testament.png (1016KB, 1076x1076px) Image search: [Google]
A dog's last will and testament.png
1016KB, 1076x1076px
>>2353798
>I'm just afraid that it'll feel like I'm replacing him, he's irreplaceable.
I used to feel this way as well OP. When my dog had to be put to sleep because of seizures I thought I would never get another pet. Then I read pic related and softened up. I still don't have another dog but I'm at least willing to consider it. Maybe you will be too.
>>
File: 1473835545775.jpg (56KB, 712x498px) Image search: [Google]
1473835545775.jpg
56KB, 712x498px
>>2354054
That's beautiful
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.