[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I really like crows. How do I make friends with crows /an/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

File: crow-01.jpg (860KB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
crow-01.jpg
860KB, 2560x1600px
I really like crows.

How do I make friends with crows /an/?

What sort of food do they like to eat?

If I ring a bell every time before I feed them will they eventually associate it with food and show up?
>>
Apparently McDonald's fries will inspire gang warfare
>>
>>2353343
>>2353343
kek, I remember that story
>>
>>2353354
Fill me in cap
>>
>>2353337
Cornbread is a local favorite of my urban crows. Just be sure to go light on the milk or use yogurt because adult birds are lactose intolerant.
>>
File: 1408851500946.png (201KB, 862x911px) Image search: [Google]
1408851500946.png
201KB, 862x911px
>>2353367
>>
>>2353367
Some guy was a dick to the birds near his apartment, and super nice to the ones across the road (where he worked), this eventually culminated in a crow-war.

I'm not doing the story justice though. Somebody post it for this anon.
>>
>>2353371
So should I soak the cornbread in yoghurt and throw it to them? Or should I set up a little plate for them?
>>
>>2353377
>soak the cornbread

what. I'm just saying it's a good idea to sub the milk with yogurt (or better yet - buttermilk) when you're preparing it. If you already have cornbread on hand just use that.
>>
>>2353380
>>2353380
Oh riiiight, sorry I am sleepy. thanks for the tip anon.

What about meat?
>>
>>2353385
Crows love meat. I'd go with leaner selections like chicken or turkey over beef though - it more emulates the type of protein a crow is likely to consume in its habitat.
>>
>>2353397
hell yes, cornbread and chicken, got it.

My dream is to have some crow friends around me in my backyard while I read or play guitar.
>>
>>2353417
Oh, and if you want to be really nice to your crows you can mix some finely diced carrot and crushed oyster shell into the cornbread batter. The carrot is high in vitamin A and the oyster shell supplies calcium and trace minerals.
>>
File: the crow life chose me.jpg (147KB, 897x675px) Image search: [Google]
the crow life chose me.jpg
147KB, 897x675px
Just remember, crows are really smart and they operate like the Mafia.

If you are a friend to them, they will all know and seek you out.

If you piss them off...don't piss them off.
>>
>>2353529
>cat goes out and kills bird
>he's constantly threatened
>he finally stays indoors where he should be
Crows confirmed for based
>>
>>2353555
>Crows want cat dead
>force him to become an indoor cat
>thus greatly increasing his life expectancy

Congrats, crows, you played yourselves.
>>
>>2353371
>>2353380
>>2353397
Not OP, but I'd like to become bros with rooks.
There are plenty of them in the park I walk through on my way at work. Do these advices work for rooks as well? Also, what about nuts? I often see some of them taking off with a nut in the beak to drop it on the ground to crack it open.
>>
No crows in Brazil. Life is suffering.
>>
My local birds love mealworms and mealworm pupae. I always have lots of extras as i keep a breeding colony to feed two of my geckos.
>>
>>2353560
Not at all, because theyre goal isnt to kill the cat but to protect themselves, which they have done
>>
>>2353372
I want to believe.
>>
>>2353337
I had a crow stumble into our yard once, he stayed for a few weeks then left, very cheeky animal, loved raw meat
>>
>>2353665
Nigga you have such cool animals shut up

And yes OP, it will learn through conditioning, but the rest of his flock will come as well eventually. Just be prepared for bird poop everywhere and them bothering the shit out of you. Eventually they'll associate you with the bell, know that you = food, and if you ever decide to not feed them it'll be a while before they leave you alone.

You can also make them some toys to keep them around if you really want to. CDs and other shiny objects on strings hooked up to a tree work well.
>>
I remember seeing a video of a guy going around and shoveling roadkill onto the grass. The crows ended up giving him a "name".

Also one time I heard a crow make some weird ass noises. Turns out it was a baby being fed. Later I made the same noise and a parent flew over thinking it heard it's baby only so see me and freaked out.
>>
OP here, I threw some cornbread and chicken at the crows at the park yesterday.

Today I'm playing guitar and one of the crows from the park came and landed right on my head stock and cawwd at me before flying away.

oh man!!! so fucking coooll!
>>
>>2354264
I love crows, I could never get sick of them, I remember as a kid they would let me touch them under their necks, beautiful, intelligent animals.

Thanks for the tips about toys, that sounds great.
>>
I feed pigeons and crows when i'm in town every monday and tuesday. Until now, the crows haven't really shown that they recognize me, but they probably do.
>>
>>2354267
I hope there was noone nearby to hear you literally making a "njomnjom" noise
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWKLLgR-2cs
>>
>>2353567
rooks are crows too, so it should work for them (and you).
if you want to be extra friendly you could pre-break some nuts for them, yes.
>>
File: image.jpg (860KB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
860KB, 2592x1936px
I like the idea of French fries. Id try that. I feed the chickadees by hand here, hoping to bring in crows someday. I've had squirrel and a few other birds come in. I noticed the chickadees picking sunflower seeds from the mix first. So when I go out to feed I only carry sunflower. I've thought about a noise association to bring them out. But they come out when they see me or they come to the porch and call me through the window. Let them see you put food out when you notice them, they are observing you. They will learn to watch for you.
>>
>>2353337
>ctrl+f raven
>0 of 0
what the fuck, that's a fucking raven
>>
>>2354283
The crow was probably telling you to shut the fuck up
>>
I live in Siberia and about a month ago there was an invasion of crows. If you went out at night chances are you would see some random tree with a hundred of crows on it. It was surreal, maybe alarming even if you're superstitious.
Then they decided to pay a visit to trees near my apartment and it was quite a shitshow. Not only they were communicating in silly crow sounds all night but they also broke a fuckton of treebranches and were fun to watch in general. My favorite moment was when one crow pushed another from branch (I would assume that it was deliberate) and poor fellow had to grab that branch with claws not to fall down.
I know it does not sound that exciting and it's certainly not a crow gang war but I must assure you that it was quite a display.
>>
>>2356694
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GrXsX1fvB0

I want to be this guy some day
>>
>feed animal
>move closer
>keep feeding
>don't be pushy
>do it frequently

wew
>>
>>2353560
Every year a cat spends not hunting is a good year for all small animals. If anything, it's a win/win situation.
>>
>>2353337
Birdfag here. Don't feed them fries. Oily and utter shit. Only nigger birds will readily eat it.

Start feeding them peanuts. Daily. After a while they will lose their fear of you. Good idea with the bell.
>>
>>2353337
>thread about crows
>posts raven

kill yourself
>>
>>2353343
Honestly, birds are excellent weapons.

When I was a stupid high schooler I would get a ton of bread rolls and feed some to the swarms of seagulls (just off the coast). Seagulls are not clever like crows, I doubt they feel bonds or even differentiate the people. The cafeteria was partly outdoors so they always clustered nearby to raid droppings and garbage cans, though there were rules against feeding them near the cafeteria or encouraging them to come too close when people were there.

High schoolers are always dicks, but one day a particularly dickish table of kids were throwing stuff at me. I had only 4 bread rolls to throw back, and noticed the usual disciplinarians/seagull guards were not nearby. I walked out of the covered lunch area and threw one in the air as high as possible. An army of seagulls rushed forth like a starving tornado, grabbing it from the air and swirling around for more. The second roll I lightly tossed up and the swarm came down for it, surrounding me.

The third roll was thrown at the table of shitty kids. Most people take efforts to prevent the seagulls from entering the lunch area, but now they had a sense of permission. A kamikaze of feathers and feces washed over the table, grabbing every tray of food, every book and pencil, tossing and nipping at backpacks. The students, table, and everything around them was quickly painted with white splatters. The kids were running from the table at this point, deeper into the lunch area. I threw the fourth roll, and the seagulls continued their flow into the lunch room like Sherman's march to the sea. It was beautiful, disgusting carnage.

The disciplinarian was running back at this point and I ended up in detention, but it was well worth the joy of employing an army of mindless all-consuming shitbirds against my foes.
>>
Not OP, but I bought a crow call so that I could attract crows and feed them. Unfortunately, I can't get it to actually sound like a crow. Can anyone help explain how to use it?
>>
This thread cured my cancer
>>
>>2358071
Swear to God I did this too, and it didn't attract them, it offended them. I don't speak crow, but the way they flew around me told me they were not pleased. I actually got better results using mimicking and my own voice. Just saying
>>
>>2358576
Thanks for the advice
>>
I used to hunt starlings that swarmed at my house to harass the bluebirds and woodpeckers as well as look for any chicken feed lying around.

I noticed that whenever a swarm stopped in, there would be a handful of crows mixed in with them scouting for food. Initially, the crows would fly off whenever I'd shoot at the starlings, but over the course of a couple weeks, they seemed to learn that they were never targeted, only the starlings. I started leaving some feed out in the open and the crows would fly in first, followed by the swarm of starlings, at which point I could take a few potshots at the starlings while the crows ignored it all and ate gleefully. Very Machiavellian birds!
>>
>>2357880
That sounds absolutely terrifying. What the fuck is a disciplinarian?
>>
>>2359495
One who's job it is to discipline
>>
>>2359495
People who failed so hard at life they have to hover around grade schools just to make sure kids don't have any fun whatsoever and ultimately accomplish and influence nothing.
>>
Bump bump
>>
I used to own a crow but it wasn't nice.
>>
>>2357880
holy shit that's the best thing
>>
>>2354284
story?
crows here just get spooked and fly away.
>>
>>2353337
So how do Crows communicate such complex info to each other? Surely they don't have true language
>>
i love crows too!! i live right by a mall and they like to hang out in the carpark/dumpster areas. if i put food scraps out they'll come into my backyard but they don't stay :( i read into it and yeah, meat is good and peanuts are good because if you throw them they'll clatter on the ground, just food and waiting for them to accept you i guess

I can't wait for crows to be a domesticated pet
>>
>>2361821
CAW, CAW
CAAAAAAAAW

something like that
>>
>>2362405
>implying crows will ever be domesticated

be glad they managed to adapt to humans
>>
File: IMG_0268.jpg (79KB, 640x488px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0268.jpg
79KB, 640x488px
>>2357880
Plz someone screen cap this glorious tale!
>>
>>2361821
Well, there's this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qdvLezV7D4
>>
>>2362852
This chick is better actually- plus there are some documentaries in the related videos that might be interesting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr_MVr7t4-4
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.