[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Not putting your betta in a vase >Not putting your betta

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9

File: IMAG0142.jpg (1MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0142.jpg
1MB, 1836x3264px
>Not putting your betta in a vase

>Not putting your betta in a MANSION vase

It's like you guys just don't even care.
>>
File: IMAG0143.jpg (1MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0143.jpg
1MB, 1836x3264px
>>2351839
>nb4 "OPs a faggot, that fish has to travel three feet to breath"

NOPE

See this? There is a tupe running in it and an air pump creating a small pocket, or under-water cave, that he can (and has) swim up into for a breath of fresh air. It also creates bubbles every 3 seconds (kinked it so the flow slowed and didn't create a strong current), and up top...
>>
File: IMAG0146.jpg (1000KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0146.jpg
1000KB, 1836x3264px
>>2351841
...he has a small, pre-cycled filter that I keep in the water (there by keeping wet, THERE BY not killing off the good bacteria) that I run for two to three hours a day to clean the water a bit and not tired out my fish with the strong flow created by such a tall tank.

Come at me bros.
>>
That looks like trash
>>
Thats still hardly enough room for the poor things.
>>
>>2351852
>That looks like trash>>2351856
>Thats still hardly enough room for the poor things.
Never change, /an.
>>
>>2351839
The aesthetic is a bit meh.

>>2351843
It's only going to do so much if you're not running it constantly. Just baffle the output if it's too strong for him.
>>
>>2351839
I agree that it's too tall to really look all that nice. The distortion of the harsh curve is also unpleasant.

I think your idea is cool, but you should consider getting something that is wider if only to be able to look inside more easily.
>>
>>2351856
Ehhh. It's the same footprint as a standard 2.5 gallon. So... not great, but minimally acceptable.

>>2351852
The platforms could certainly be done better. Some Sculpey clay and acrylic paint would be good.
I'd be worried about him jumping out with the level that high.
>>
>>2351865
Nah, I like it. And it will really start lookin good when the plants grow in.
>>2351864
That's what water changes and plants are for.
>>2351866
>>2351856
It's ten gallons.

The pot things just look huge because of the shape of the glass, they are actually pretty small.
>>
>>2351866
Oh, and I have a make-shift lid. Working on a better one tomorrow.
>>
>>2351870
>That's what water changes and plants are for.
This sounds 100% like PetSmart shilling.

>>2351870
>It's ten gallons.
Doesn't matter, the footprint is the same as a standard 2.5 gallon.
>>
>>2351874
Alright
>>
>>2351839
>>2351841
>>2351843
Holy fuck this anon always triggers me

Your vase looks fuck in dumb and unatural. You obviously don't undetstand the nitrate cycle or you would know, that filter won't do shit if it's not running constsantly. You could, I don't know, read the fucking manual for once in your life.the fact that this is practically a tube of water and your usng some small filter, means you will have stagnant as fuck water all at the bottom with no circulation/gas exchange at surface level. I feel bad for your fish and I hope it doesn't have to die before you understand.

And to top it all off your memey as fuck and say stupid shit all the time like "come at me bros"

Fuck
>>
>>2351880
Lol I'm sorry I piss you off so much.

You could just ignore my posts
>>
>>2351884
The biggest reason, is you blatantly ignore the advice of others, its narcissistic as fuck. For the sake of your betta, read the instructions and follow them accordingly
>>
>>2351890
There was a thread a while ago about which is worse: lazy pet owners or ignorant ones. Everyone agreed that willfully ignorant pet owners are the absolute fucking worst. OP is that person.
>>
>>2351890
You sure are assuming a lot.

You're acting as if I have done no research, which I actually have. A lot.

I have water test kits. I have high quality food. I check temps daily. I watched and tested the way the water was going to flow in this tank before I put him in, and yes, it DOES flow at the bottom, and it flows to the top.

I added a bubbler to both create aeration and to allow him to have air at the bottom of the tank. I spents three weeks reading about aerating a completely filterless tank, even when I was dead fucking tired from working. I tried four different times to put him in a regular ten gallon tank, and every time he paced so much he literally made himself so sick he lost color and became lethargic.

So I'm sorry that you don't like it that I'm not doing it -your way-, but you can kindly fuck off.
>>
BTFO
>>
>>2351892
I'm sorry did your anecdotal evidence, saying that your fish would be worse of in a 10 gallon tank, than your shit vase, is not enough to convince me it is in the best interest of that fish in any way. It in fact would be better of in a 10 gallon.
>>
>>2351912
The primary SCIENTIFIC argument is that a tank has a much greater surface area/volume ratio so it provides more oxygen than a vase. A lot more.

and of course fish and bacteria both need oxygen to survive, and fish need bacteria to survive. So from an empirical standpoint fish will do better in a tank than a vase every time. That's not to say your fish-in-a-vase will necessarily die, but there's a lot of space between just surviving and really doing well.
>>
>>2351912
>>2351915
sorry, I aimed that at the wrong anon apparently.

>>2351892
>>
File: walugi.png (432KB, 470x489px) Image search: [Google]
walugi.png
432KB, 470x489px
>not having a heater for your betta
>>
>>2351917
As much as we try anon, our words will fall on deaf ears, the opportunity will do what they think is best regardless and will justify it any way they can.
>>
>>2351928
It's got a heater ya doofus.
>>2351915
He hasn't been gulping surface air very often anon, and they do that when there isn't enough oxygen in the water or when they want to make their bubble nest.

I looked into the oxygen as well anon, and I looked for signs to watch.
>>
>>2352165
>gulping surface air

no, they head to the top of the column where the DO is at its greatest. You know, like the betta in your vase is doing.

Enjoy not listening and killing your fish due to your own stubborn. You won't give a shit enough to change and end up killing more fish from your arrogance until you finally learn and realize that literally nobody else on the planet keeps fish in a god damn vase.
>>
>>2352172
Hm, then he sure is spending an awful lot of time near the bottom scoping things out for food and going to the little cave for air. I've been watching him all morning, and he's only gone up the the very top about three times, and only gotten air from there once.
>>
>>2352165
Gasping is something fish do when water quality is so bad they're about to die.

Again, there can be harm done that doesn't kill the fish, and you probably won't be able to see any signs of it until the thing eventually does get sick or die. Most likely your fish will just be kinda sluggish and won't live as long as it would in a tank.

an airstone helps, but it's no substitute for a tank with larger surface area.
>>
>>2352226
>going to the little cave for air
kek
>>
>>2352231
Stop, the reasoning here is too much for op.

You must go back.
>>
>>2351839
is this your first fishtank, or have you already killed dozens
>>
>>2352238
It's their first, they just wouldn't listen to anyone in the /aq/ threads
>>
>>2352237
meh
I don't see an /aq/ thread to abuse and nobody's arguing dinosaur feathers with me, so OP gets the full benefit of my priceless wisdom.

trolls trolling trolls
>>
nigger the fish need to swim side to side. it has a lot of room to go up and down, but that doesn't really matter
>>
>>2352334
This. They don't usually swim up and down — the poor dude needs width.
>>
>>2352395
what's annoying is that people in the /aq/ threads told this retard the same thing but they just think any criticism is trolling
>>
>>2352251
trex had feathers :^))))
>>
>>2352503
has it crossed your mind that OP might be the one doing the trolling?
>>
>>2352505
hermit crabs are predators!
>>
>>2352506
Kek
>>
>>2351892
>I tried four different times to put him in a regular ten gallon tank
No you didn't.
>>
>>2351839
That setup is just so ugly. It's an aesthetic nightmare. Urgh
>>
>>2352863
Haha, yes, I DID.

I tried twice when I had cories, once inmy partners 20 gallon, and then again when I got rid of the cories and just had an empty tank. I filled the tank withall the plants I had plus some hidy holes to break up his line of sight, and within a few hours he exhausted himself from pacing so much that he wouldn't get up off the ground even when I tried to push him with my hand.

I have tried.

He's doing well inthe new tank now, though. Spendingoat of his time hunting or chilling in his rock cave. Dances for food when he sees me.
>>
>>2352975
why would your betta be pacing? Did you not cover the sides? Fixing a reflection issue should have been easier than making a whole new damn tank monstrosity
>>
>>2353120
Yes I covered the sides. Blacked out all four and he still did it, even with all the plants and hide spots.

He is fine in the current set-up.
>>
>>2353183
He wasn't pacing but was getting used to his new tank and probably exercising. It'll take them a few weeks to get used to a new place.
>>
>>2352867
They live in puddles and eat roots
>>
>>2353243
They live in rice paddies and small streams and eat insects.
>>
>>2353242
I know anon, and I read that too and tried it, but when he got to the point that he literally couldn't get up off the ground to eat or get air, and his face and body were turning white, I made made the decision to move him out of the tank rather than watch him slowly stress himself to death.

I get that you should wait, and fish need time to get used to their environments, but I did try a lot of things before throwing him back in a shitty little 2.5 gallon bowl which he wouldn't pace in.

And it wasn't like something was wrong with the water in the bigger tank either. I used the same filter I had in the 2.5 gallon, with a buffer on it for the current, and I made sure the temps were all the same, and slowly added the water to his bag before putting him in. He was fine in the bag, if a bit nervous and wanting to be out, but just a few minutes after adding him to the tank, he started pacing. He checked the plants out a little bit, and went into one hide, but when he saw the side glass, it started again, and it was the same thing every other time I tried.

I know this set-up is unusual, and I know most people would recommend against it, but right now it is working and he is acting normal and healthy. I am monitoring him very closely and testing the water, and making sure the plants are getting what they need to produce oxygen. I turned his bubbler up a bit so it's producing bubbles often, but not enough to freak him out, and I moved the filter to a spot that wouldn't create a lot of flow that pushes him around, so I can just leave it on.

All he's been doing all day is scoping out every corner and nook looking for food, then begging for food when he sees me, and maybe every 30 or 40 minutes he'll go into the cup and get a breath of air.
>>
>>2353243
...they can survive in puddles because they adapted well, but that doesn't mean they prefer it anon. There is a reason they jump.
>>
File: 20170409_200755.jpg (625KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170409_200755.jpg
625KB, 2560x1440px
>not keeping your beta in your old piss jug
Fucking plebs
>>
>>2351912
>wah muh 10 gal tank
Honestly fuck off
>>
>>2353258
>old piss jug

Anon..fucking why?
>>
>>2353260
Well I got a jerry can to piss in so I might aswell put it in my old piss jug.
>>
File: 2f5.jpg (49KB, 676x461px) Image search: [Google]
2f5.jpg
49KB, 676x461px
>>2353261
>>
File: s2a447.jpg (38KB, 500x355px) Image search: [Google]
s2a447.jpg
38KB, 500x355px
>>2353258
>not keeping a betta in your cum bottles
Fucking normies
>>
File: dc8.jpg (34KB, 600x428px) Image search: [Google]
dc8.jpg
34KB, 600x428px
>>2353271
What the hell is wrong with you guys?
>>
>>2351839
Cool
>>2351841
Cool
>>2351843
You fucked up
>>
>>2353183
you dont use black paper man, you're trying to break up a reflection
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.