[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone know a place that will take an orphaned house sparrow

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1639.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1639.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Does anyone know a place that will take an orphaned house sparrow hatchling in or near the Los Angeles area (91403)?

I've already tried to contact multiple places and they won't take a house sparrow. The place I was referred to is closed for the night, so I'll try again in the morning.

I'm the meantime, do you guys know of any good places? Also, should I feed it at all? I did one small feeding of some water-moistened dry cat food, which is what I read online, but the places I've called have said to not feed it. Will it be okay with no more food or water for at least 12 hours? I have it in a basket on cotton stuffing with a heating bad on low underneath, with a towel over the basket. He's peeping away.
>>
Why can't you put it back where you found it?
>>
>>2350986
It was on the curb. I looked and found the nearest place where it could have come from which was a street sign. Inside I saw a nest but no other birds. I put it back anyways hoping the parents would return. Fast forward to today, I come home and see that it's fallen out again. I haven't seen any sign of parents for two days now. I think
It's safe to say that it is orphaned.
>>
>>2350979
House sparrows are an invasive species. Just smash it's head.
>>
>>2351079
I known m8, but I really can't bring myself to do that. I'd just keep him as a pet before that. I doubt it would even make a difference anyways now that they are pretty much one of the most well-established, wide-spread birds in all of North America.

He's sleeping now I think. I hope he's not too hungry/thirsty. I'm going to try an avian vet tomorrow morning.
>>
>>2351110
Just keep it then
>>
>>2351237
If it comes down to that I might, but I don't know if I'd be able to care for it properly. The vet wouldn't take it so I'm calling more numbers.
>>
No. No rescue gives a shit about the invasive birds. People who take in injured pigeons or starlings are in the same predicament.

You'll be lucky if you find a vet that will agree to treat it. You may have to hit up a college research facility as many animal researchers use pigeons or sparrows or starlings because they're legal to kidnap from the wild. Wildlife rehabs almost always try to euthanaize the bird without your consent. You need a permit in most states to treat wild animals.

It's either

>kill it (releasing is still killing it)
>keep it as pet

Sparrows make alright pets, you don't need a very big cage if you donate a room to them. Otherwise a decent sized flight cage with narrow spacing between the bars will do fine, with enrichment and branches to perch on.
>>
I read sparrows hurt native birds. What do they do? Eat all the food, or aggresivley drive native birds out?
>>
>>2351392
That's what I feared. I don't know how I'll be able to feed it every 15 to 30 minutes though. Then they can live for up to two decades. If I do manage to keep it that long, will it be okay by itself? They are very sociable.

Do you think I'd be able to release it back into the wild?
>>
>>2351413
Sparrows are a social species, so if you can find another your bird will appreciate it. If not it'll likely pair bond with you.

Releasing back to the wild is killing it in a slower, more inhumane manner. Death by "nature" is not a kind death.

http://www.wildlifehotline.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/NonNative-Birds-How-To.pdf
>>
>>2351426
As an extrapolation: if you release it now it'll surely die. If you release it once it's older it'll be imprinted onto humans without having learned any survival skills and it will surely die.

Once you take in a fledgling and raise it, you're taking it in for the rest of its life.
>>
>>2351426
>>2351433
Thank you so much for the resource. However, at the end it talks about releasing the bird. Do you think they are wrong about that?
>>
Smash its head in.
>>
>>2351392
You can catch and keep invasive birds legally?
>>
>>2351520
None of them are covered by the migratory bird act. Starlings and pigeons seem to be more popular than sparrows.
>>
>>2351520
I don't see why taking an invasive species out of the wild would be harmful
>>
Get a plastic bag and put some vehicle exaust in the bag/tie the bag = Dead in 5 mins.
Seems more humane than bashing the birds head in...
>>
>>2351392
>no rescue
Not entirely true, there are some out there. I worked with one in Houston with a whole lot of volunteers that came on specifically for baby bird season and IF we had room we would take in invasive species. If we didn't have room, we'd start only taking ones over a certain weight/development so that we weren't wasting time on tiny, demanding birds.

Though one time we had a lady drop off a starling chick and write us a $1000 check for a donation on the spot. We obviously accepted that one.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.