[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to get a cat that can go outside and come back at will.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: jpeg.jpg (81KB, 1024x896px) Image search: [Google]
jpeg.jpg
81KB, 1024x896px
I want to get a cat that can go outside and come back at will. The cat will sleep inside. I live in a rural area where all my neighbors have 2+ acre lands. I already own indoor dogs but I haven't had a cat since I was a kid and even then it was an indoor cat. My dogs are good with cats or any pets.
Any tips? I was thinking of going to the shelter and adopting a cat. Not sure if age would matter. How do I "train" it to go outside and kill pests and shit? I don't want it to run away and get lost or get killed by something. My neighbor has a spayed female cat that does the same (live indoors and goes outdoors).
I just want a cat that can go outside and do it's thing and come back.
>>
>>2350835
You don't train a cat to kill pests, it just does it on its own for fun. Be aware that some cats are less experienced than others and can fail more often.
If you don't want it to get killed by some random person you can deminish the chances by putting a collar on it amd a nametag with your info, and/or a chip.
I'm usually against outdoor cats, but my LDR s/o has one, and has greatly deminished the pests around his place which used to cause problems. Keep your cat vaccined (specially against rabies), check for ticks and fleas, spay it, and understand it could get injured at any moment despite whatever you do. Keep a first aids kit nearby in case some wild animal injures it.
Also, get a friendlier cat, they have a higher chance of coming back on command.
>>
>>2350848
Additionally, give it reasons to come back. Make your house comfortable for the cat, with places to rest, to climb, to play, otherwise they just won't care about going back in.
>>
>>2350835
get a gun and shoot yourself
>>
>>2350848
>>2350849
I'm not worried about it getting hurt or shot by anyone, especially since my neighbor has a cat that they let out a lot. The only threat to the cat that I can think of are snakes but there aren't any poisonous ones around here and they're rare. A lot of rodents and rabbits though.
Of course I'll chip it, vaccinate it and spay/neuter it. Is there a difference between a fixed male or female cat?
I think I'll just keep the cat indoors for like a year or so then let it go outside if it wants. I already trained my dogs to go outside and piss/shit and come back on command. They don't even chase rabbits that sometimes pop out of nowhere. They're docile and my neighbors are friendly with them. Seems like if I just keep the cat comfy and shit it will go out and come back like my dogs.
>>
Best bet is to feed a wandering non feral cat until it's comfortable with you touching and holding it. It will still roam freely but know to come home to eat and sleep. That's what we did. Found a tuxedo cat in our driveway one day, fed and played with it until it became our half and half indoor/outdoor pet. Do you have any wandering around your area?

Can't say it will be easy to buy/adopt a cat and train it to be half and half, but it may work if you adopt one who's always been an outsider.
>>
>>2350873
>Is there a difference between a fixed male or female cat?
Fixed cats, regardless of sex, tend to be the same, as long as they're spayed at an early age (from 6 months to 2 years I'd say). Female cats spayed at a later age can develope mammary cysts or even breast cancer. Male cats may still mark their territory out of habit, but not be dedicated enough to defend it.

>I think I'll just keep the cat indoors for like a year or so then let it go outside if it wants
Actually was gonna suggest this before but forgot. Form a strong bond with the kitty before letting it go outside.

>>2350900
This is also a good plan, as long as you make sure it isn't anyone else's cat.
>>
Age might matter if you want your dogs to be close to your cat (but I don't think you care too much about that).
A full grown cat usually won't fuck with your dogs but he wont try to be friends with them.
If you get a kitten, your dogs will probably adopt it as their own
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.