[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Relating moon rise/set to the tides. It appears that a high tide

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0056.jpg (2MB, 2580x2452px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0056.jpg
2MB, 2580x2452px
Relating moon rise/set to the tides. It appears that a high tide occurs during a moon set and again slightly after a moon rise. Low tides happen at the midpoint of this, when the moon is at its peak altitude.

Is it accurate to say that the moon is closer during its rise/set therefore the pull is the strongest, and when the moon is at its peak altitude the mooom is furthest away and the gravitonal pull becomes weaker.

I believe this to be because of the eliptical shape of the moons orbit. I am not sure though and don't have any sources.. it may have to do with some delaying affect of some sort idk. Anyone know?
>>
>>2350268
Too tired to read everything and make sense but the gravitational field is not perfectly round, that influences stuff
>>
>>2350280
Yeah that makes sense. I didn't think that there was only one factor involved here because I didn't think the distance varied an extraordinary amount from rise/set to peak..
>>
>>2350268
This is bait, right?
>>
>>2350375
No.. go look at a tide chart and moon rise/set and you will see the correlation. I have seen science blogs claiming the moon rise is when low tide occurs and this is simply not true. Their claim is that the moon will bring a high tide when the moon is at its peak altitude because it is overhead... but a low tide occurs at peak altitude. So there has to be some reason why and the explanation is probably due to the eliptical path and mention gravitational field.
tl;dr: there's no accurate information about the correlation to moon rise/set and high/low tides when there clearly is one (would really like to know)
>>
>>2350375
http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/2010/02/24/how-tides-work/

This has some accurate information but about the moon rise/set is just wrong. Moon set corresponds to high tide, not low tide.
>>
>>2350410
"The two times that correspond to Moonrise and Moonset are your two low tides per day. And the closer to the equator you are, the more severe your tides are, while the closer to the poles you are, the less drastic your tides are!"

This is so wrong because the highest tides in the world are not found at the equator, they are found much north, example Canada: bay of fundy, 16.3m, taller than a 3 story building
>>
>>2350268
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tide#Forces
>>
>>2350458
Had already been there, doesn't really explain anything to do with lunar path or moon rise/set.
>>
>>2350268
I hate how I notice the full moon very time. It is always the 1-3 nights I can barely fall asleep, look outside and see that shining white grimmace.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.