[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /an/ I have a 3 year old Sheltie, loves to play, very good

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

Hi /an/

I have a 3 year old Sheltie, loves to play, very good with people, was socialized well with dogs, but doesn't seem interested in most of them. She loves to run and chase with some dogs but most she'll sniff and walk past, and some at the dog park are way too threatening. Also our friends recently got a little dog (like a shitzu poodle cross or something) and she seems very very afraid of it. I'm wondering if these mean she'll never be okay with another dog, or if it could just be circumstances etc.

The breeder we got her from has some older puppies (~5 months) that she was holding back for showing but is now selling. They've been raised with other Shelties and the breeder would let me know if they'd be a good fit for our family.

Would my dog benefit from a companion? I figure an older puppy that's the same breed and is crate and leash trained already would be pretty much ideal, and now is a good time for me as the semester is ending so I'd have a lot of time for training etc.

Can anyone chime in on if this would be a good or bad idea and why?

Any questions, please ask.
>>
bampu~
>>
>>2349222

Your dog might have autism.
>>
>>2349499
perfect for me then haha.

I still get lonely though sometimes.
>>
>>2349222
She may have a bit of doggy "autism" and struggle to read other dogs.

The breed is a good people dog not such a great pack dog.

If you could afford a second dog sensibly it might be an idea but you would need to do a few meet and greets first.
>>
>>2349596
do you think she'd just be happiest on her own then? She gets a walk in the morning and in the evening, but she's alone most of the day while everyone is at work.
>>
Shelties are weird dogs. We just had our family sheltie pass away on Christmas at 14 years old (liver failure). He was a great dog, just a bit neurotic, especially as he got older.

We brought home a dachshund puppy, and for three weeks, he just growled at her and wanted nothing to do with her. After that, he came around, and he was the one initiating all the playtime (to the point that he wore her out).

So honestly, I think it's just a sheltie thing. They're weird and timid dogs. She might take some time to warm up to a new puppy, but I know that having another dog with our sheltie made him act like a much younger dog. He was still bounding around and playing up until he died.
>>
>>2349616
If you're not around then possibly but make sure you allow her to meet and greet properly, start with a meet and greet at the breeders, then move on to ones in your own home. She also may feel differently about a new puppy in a few years time.

As for her not liking your friends dog, dogs use 5 points to communicate, ear position, tail, face, barking/vocalisation and body language.

Depending on what the dog was bred for and how it was raised it will rely on each of these to different degrees.

Dogs that have trouble reading other dogs may have problems with dogs who have lop ears, curled tails, excessive fur or snub/short faces as well as breeds such as Rottweilers and Staffies who "talk" as these make the dog harder to read.

On the other hand don't feel bad if it doesn't work out and she appears stressed out having another dog in the house, unlike huskies or hunt dogs they generally prefer people to other dogs. If you feel she's missing out on social integration you could look into group walks or training classes?
>>
>>2349643
That's kind of how I figure it'd go with my dog... People say shelties are neurotic but I've never really had that with mine. She just legitimately seems uninterested in most dogs. Not all, though.

>>2349657
Honestly I think what it is is just really big, poorly trained dogs barking and leaping all over her every time she goes to the park...

I'm not worried about her having dog on dog socialization. Just company and someone to play with when humans are busy/away.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.