[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on the surface area of an adult lion's skeleton?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 1409003578485.png (925KB, 800x987px) Image search: [Google]
1409003578485.png
925KB, 800x987px
Thoughts on the surface area of an adult lion's skeleton?
Its for a D&D game: Animating a lion skeleton, planning to dunk it in molten metal (protected via magic) and I'm wondering how much I need to effectively coat it.
>>
what the fuck are you talking about, fuck off with that shit
>>
File: 1409700810451.jpg (123KB, 900x582px) Image search: [Google]
1409700810451.jpg
123KB, 900x582px
>>2347699
What about it was unclear?

I'm trying to determine the surface area of an adult lion's skeletal structure.

Its for a Dungeons and Dragons game, wherein my character is animating (via magic) the skeleton of a lion, and I want to coat the undead creature with metal to fortify it, but I'm wondering how much metal I'll need, so I'm wondering as to the likely surface area of such a being.

Any thoughts?
>>
>>2347696
if we ignore porosity of both bone and skin the surface area should be similar to that of a whole lion.
>>
File: 1408688522140.jpg (188KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1408688522140.jpg
188KB, 1200x1600px
>>2347708
> if we ignore
I'd rather we didn't, as that would be applicable in the application of liquid metal, would it not?

> similar to that of a whole lion
You really think so? I don't know much about vertebrate anatomy, but I would think the musculature and what have you would alter the calculations considerably.

Even so - what's the surface area of a whole lion?
There doesn't seem to be much data on this, to my surprise.
>>
>>2347713
I doubt that you will find apt info of this, but I imagine a wizard or whatever your character is would have no idea about it either, unless he went to the great length of measuring it?
>>
>>2347713
>I'd rather we didn't
then the surface area of each approaches infinity.

>You really think so?
yeah, you've got the square/cube law which indicates a much higher ratio of surface/mass in the skelington, and the fact that all those ribs and verts have huge surface compared to their size.

Just guessing but they're probably about the same area. I would estimate an adult lion at maybe a couple meters squared. Maybe 3.
>>
This amount of autismo doesn't deserve a meaningful reply.
>>
>>2347713
>that would be applicable in the application of liquid metal, would it not?
not really since as the pores decrease in size the amount of metal needed to fill them decreases.

so the surface on tiny pores doesn't count as much as the smooth external surfaces. Also tiny pores would probably be impossible to fill with metal unless you used some vacuum method to draw metal into the skin/bone.
>>
>>2347718
No, he won't, but it will matter when he tries it one way or the other - even if it takes several attempts, from the objective DM's perspective, they'll need to know, and I like to do my legwork (don't want to just drop that in someone's lap and expect a response in the moment, ya know?).

>>2347722
> approaches infinity
Really? I figured it would increase the effective surface area, but didn't think that much.

> 3m^2
Good to know.

>>2347723
Why you gotta be all salty like that?
D&D is fun, and I figured the animal nerds like myself would get off on this sort of autistic anatomy shit.

>>2347724
Ahaa, that's what I figured - liquid metal will solidify as it cools, so it'll only be able to 'invade' the porous bone structure so far; and the structural nature of those pores would likely break down to some degree and/or block further ingress after a point.

> vacuum method
Something to think about for the future... As it stands, probably just going to hit this thing with several forms of heat resistance and have it receiving constant restorative magics, then dunk it in the molten metal for a few seconds.

Not sure whether to do it with a precious metal (gold/silver/platinum) or something aimed at fortification (steel/iron). Obviously the platinum would suit both purposes well, but its bloody heavy and bloody expensive.
>>
>>2347730
>I figured it would increase the effective surface area, but didn't think that much.
at a small enough scope we're talking about the surface area of every single molecule of every single cell that's exposed to external air in any way.

that's a fuckload of surface. Like a fractal, the external surface just keeps getting larger as you look closer.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.