[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /an/, are you worried that anthropogenic climate change

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 6

Hey /an/, are you worried that anthropogenic climate change could trigger a clathrate gun scenario, leading to a mass extinction on par with the end Permian?

"Research carried out in 2008 in the Siberian Arctic has shown millions of tons of methane being released, apparently through perforations in the seabed permafrost,[20] with concentrations in some regions reaching up to 100 times normal levels.[22][23] The excess methane has been detected in localized hotspots in the outfall of the Lena River and the border between the Laptev Sea and the East Siberian Sea. Some melting may be the result of geological heating, but more thawing is believed to be due to the greatly increased volumes of meltwater being discharged from the Siberian rivers flowing north.[24] Current methane release has previously been estimated at 0.5 Mt per year.[25] Shakhova et al. (2008) estimate that not less than 1,400 Gt of carbon is presently locked up as methane and methane hydrates under the Arctic submarine permafrost, and 5–10% of that area is subject to puncturing by open taliks. They conclude that "release of up to 50 Gt of predicted amount of hydrate storage [is] highly possible for abrupt release at any time". That would increase the methane content of the planet's atmosphere by a factor of twelve,[26][27] equivalent in greenhouse effect to a doubling in the current level of CO2."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clathrate_gun_hypothesis
>>
>>2344122
I am not worried because I will be dead by that point in time and it wont be my problem.
>>
File: _46629048_methane_gas2_466in.gif (21KB, 466x280px) Image search: [Google]
_46629048_methane_gas2_466in.gif
21KB, 466x280px
>>2344129
You jest, but the amount of methane emitted by livestock via flatulence is indeed considerable
>>
>>2344122
>implying we are not already at the start of the 6th great extinction
>>
File: 300px-Extinction_Intensity.svg.png (33KB, 300x223px) Image search: [Google]
300px-Extinction_Intensity.svg.png
33KB, 300x223px
>>2344136
There's no question that we are, but the real zinger is how bad it could conceivably be
>>
File: 02.jpg (85KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
02.jpg
85KB, 900x600px
>>2344122

Here's my problem with the idea of anthropogenic climate change: the idea that we can do anything about it.

My point is that if the planet was changing for other reasons and we were still in the bronze age, there would be people complaining that the climates of 100 years ago were a terrible existential threat.

People dont seem to recognize the slow Gaian terror they are helping to build with these theories.

The worst thing you can do to a climate change proselytizer is agree with them. Lets assume it is all true-

Okay, so we would have reason to think that the Earth is changing. It doesnt even matter why. What is to be done about it. And here is where the terror builds.

Overlooking these common narratives of original sin, anger from the heavens, wrath, a path to salvation and so on...

What is obvious: we are expected to do something. Who? Everyone. Yet everyone wont. So now you need enforcement. Of who? Again, everyone. On what authority? Nothing short of world government, of course. Nothing Orewellian, at least not at first. But how do you enforce change? And lets say you do. Someone will say its unfair. Someone was looking forward to that change too. They might even say you are interfering. And the cases for war start popping up everywhere.

And suddenly you realize why the truly powerful dont want you to know who they are. Because no one wants to read that much hate mail. Let someone else take the heat.

And it gets worse. If you say theres a problem, then you have to assume you can fix it. Except we are living in the only laboratory. What if scientists are wrong about any part of it, either the analysis, extrapolation or applied theoretical solution.

Thats what would keep me up at night. What happens when humans become so full of themselves that they try to fix a planet that isnt broken, and every human in existence is living on it...
>>
File: pale_blue_dot.png (2MB, 980x1328px) Image search: [Google]
pale_blue_dot.png
2MB, 980x1328px
>>2344142

... Perhaps we are all going to die from climate change of any type. And there really is no need or excuse for shitting up the atmosphere.

The problem with this story is this: The perceived problem is the same as the solution: man made climate change. We can see what happens when we act in fatalism like every other creature on the planet. But what happens if man made climate change is a deliberate act of faith in studies? And who gets to make that decision for me, for my family, my friends, my home and my world.

Who is that has the right to say they are saving my world, but I must have faith in them to rule the heavens. Because it wont be faith, it will be rule of law and I will have no choice.

Humans seeking power can dream up some creepy shit. Just sayin.
>>
File: NL79-methane-diagram.gif (62KB, 1000x589px) Image search: [Google]
NL79-methane-diagram.gif
62KB, 1000x589px
>>2344138
>>2344136
Related:

"Based on measurements of gases trapped in biogenic and abiogenic calcite, the release of methane (of ∼3–14% of total C stored) from permafrost and shelf sediment methane hydrate is deemed the ultimate source and cause for the dramatic life-changing global warming (GMAT > 34 °C) and oceanic negative-carbon isotope excursion observed at the end Permian. Global warming triggered by the massive release of carbon dioxide may be catastrophic, but the release of methane from hydrate may be apocalyptic. The end Permian holds an important lesson for humanity regarding the issue it faces today with greenhouse gas emissions, global warming, and climate change."

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1871174X16300488
>>
>>2344142
>>2344144

What the fuck are you even talking about? None of the shit you said is coherent.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.