[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So it turns out dinosaurs have a completely different classi

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

So it turns out dinosaurs have a completely different classification than what was traditionally thought. Maybe this can help explain why some Ornithischians with feather like follicules. What say you /an/?

link: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v543/n7646/full/nature21700.html
>>
>>2343151
>why some Ornithischians with feather like follicules
*were found.
Can't believe I forgot to type that.
>>
>>2343151
>So it turns out dinosaurs have a completely different classification
It's an hypothesis, and not a very good one.

the authors have to say Herrerasaurus ISN'T a theropod to get their hypothesis to work.

ignoring the obvious flaws in their methodology, this initial assumption is fucking daffy. Herrerasaurus has too many shared traits with theropods to be a simple case of convergence. Nobody is going to buy this load of shit. It will be forgotten by this time next year.
>>
File: 1488317197712.png (2KB, 177x149px) Image search: [Google]
1488317197712.png
2KB, 177x149px
>>2343151
>some people refuses to change the definition of Dinosauria
>mfw sauropods might not be considered dinosaurs anymore
>>
>>2343170
screencapping this post so I can spam it once this new phylogeny becomes consensus just because I love BTFOing armchair filth
>>
>>2343211
Idk he has a point. Tho I think we will have more on Herrerasaurus in the following times ahead.
>>
>>2343170
>Herrerasaurus has too many shared traits with theropods to be a simple case of convergence.
>Platypus looks too much like a bird to be a mammal
>>
>>2343211
>screencapping this post so I can spam it once this new phylogeny becomes consensus
it won't become consensus and I've already forgotten about you.
>>
File: 1486538614864.jpg (9KB, 241x274px) Image search: [Google]
1486538614864.jpg
9KB, 241x274px
>>2343151
>What say you /an/?
>expecting some NEETs on a cambodian fermented spice enthusiast forum to read and understand a natureĀ© article and to have an informed opinion on a matter
>>
>>2343254
Let's look at an example:
Sauropods and theropods both tend to have pleurocoels in at least the first 5 post-atlantal vertebrae.

do you count those pleuorocoels as one character state? (Pleuorcoels present/absent)

or do you count them as 5 or more individual states since they each evolved independently?

or do you count them as 10 or more states since they evolved independently and are bilateral?

once you understand this problem you will see how the authors of the study fucked it up.
>>
>>2343339
Of course that's a knife that cuts both ways. OP's mention of feathers is an example that supports this new tree. Feathers aren't just a single character state. The downy feathers in Kulindadromeus for example represent at least 3 distinct character states: feather keratin present, feather tubercles present, and feather tubercles bifurcated.

this outweighs single state features such as predentary present/absent or pubes angled anteriorly/posteriorly.

This reorganization addresses a couple standing problems in the existing classifications-
1. Under current trees prosauropods can't be ancestors of sauropods because they lack the axial pneumaticization that's assumed to be a synapomorphy between sauropods and theropods. If pneumaticization was convergent it wouldn't be expected in prosauropods and they could be ancestral to sauropods. This doesn't deal with the problem of the prosauropods' missing carpus though, and this feature alone would violate Dollo's Law under this new view.
2. Under the existing division we assume basal Saurischia lost the predentary, so the Saurischia/Ornithischia split had to happen well before the first known dinosaurs. This presents a major ghost lineage.

the prevailing view is that we're missing the pieces of the puzzle that explain these problems.

This new study simply assumes no pieces are missing, what you see is what you get. This view is both rigorously correct and almost certainly still wrong. We can only look at the pieces we have, but it's probably a mistake to assume we have them all.
>>
>>2343251
it's okay you'll be browsing /an/ in a year or two (>seriously implying you'll ever leave 4chan alive) when

BAM

WRONG

DEAL WITH IT ARMCHAIR
>>
>>2343413
I knew you guys knew your shit.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.