[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need some hivemind advice and help, please. Friday night,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

I need some hivemind advice and help, please.

Friday night, my 10 year old cat was displaying signs of distress, didn't seem to want to stretch out, was very hesitant to walk, would cry out in pain if we tried to handle her. I also found bloody urine in her litterbox.

My wife and I were very worried about internal bleeding, or some other horrible emergency. We took our cat to the 24 hour emergency vet.

The vet on call ordered bloodwork, x-rays, and a UA on the cat. X-Ray came back clear, no problems with any bones/joints in her hind legs, no stones in the kidneys or bladder. Bloodwork came back normal as well.

Cat was kept overnight for observation and to attempt to collect urine.

Saturday, urine was collected, cat apparently showed positive for an active UTI. I was allowed to pick up my cat around 1pm and was told she was given a shot antibiotic that would last for 12 days in her system, given a shot pain medication, and sent home with 2 more days worth of pain meds.

Today, 5am, I was woken up by the sound of my cat crying in pain. I got up and checked on her (we have a recovery area set up, small bed/blanket, food/water, litterpan nearby). Found a large puddle of urine under my desk, some blood in it still (hard to tell because it went into the carpet). Cat is very interested in her food/water, seems alert, but still appears to be in a lot of pain, still is not walking right(she will not stretch out to her full length, I'm assuming due to pain in the bladder region).

This cat has never been sick, and I've never seen her in pain. I've never dealt with a UTI before, and I have no idea how long it's going to take for her to start feeling better.

I feel awful for her, I'm worried, and I just want to know what else to do to help her. If she's not improved by tomorrow I'm taking her back in to her normal vet...
>>
Take her to your normal vet as soon as you can.

A lot of 24 vets are cowboys and don't know your pet's history so they just go with a quick fix.
>>
>>2342876
I'm planning on it, sadly my vet is not open on Sundays, going to bring her in tomorrow. I'm glad that she's very interested in food/water and keeps having 'output'. She's also alert and interested in things.
>>
Fucking 24 hour emergency vet gave my damn cat Cerenia (used to treat vomiting) instead of an antibiotic.....god dammit, I just noticed it on her invoice. I'm calling them now and trying to get this straightened out. No wonder she's not improving.
>>
Ok, update. So the vet did give her an antibiotic, the tech just entered it wrong on the bill. She was given Covenia which is a "potent" antibiotic that should stay in her system for 12 days.

Problem is, she still doesn't want to walk, and really starts crying in pain if she stretches down her back legs very far. I don't know if this is due to the pain of her bladder, or what the story may be.

She just peed in the little bed/towel and as far as I could tell I didn't see any blood in it, there was a decent amount of output.

She only started the medication routine yesterday, don't you guys/gals agree that I should have seen some form of improvment by now?

The Good:
-Alert
-Eating/Drinking
-Still able to pass urine
-Not seeing blood in most recent urination
-X-Rays last night were clear for any injuries to the bones, no dislocations, no arthritis, no bladder or kidney stones, no fluid in the abdomen, no blockages in the intestinal tract.
-Bloodwork was normal

The Bad:
-Still not moving
-Seems to have extreme pain when extending her back legs, especially the back right one. Already checked for classic signs of saddle thrombosis, nothing seems to match that, she can move the legs, they are not cold at all, she just doesn't want to extend them.
>>
My cat had a uti like this before, the vet gave us pain mess for him. While the infection itself could be clearing up that doesn't mean the pain is gone. The shot the 24 hour gave her has probably worn off,
Thought that doesn't mean don't take her to her normal vet.

I'm glad to hear that she's eating and drinking though, that along with output is a very good thing.
>>
>>2343203

Thank you, they gave us a pain shot for the initial day, and 2 more pills (one for today and one for tomorrow). She was awake and whimpering at 6am today so I caved and gave her today's pill around that time, I didn't want her to be hurting anymore.

I did read that Covenia can take up to 48 hours to really make a difference. I guess this is just the first major health "crisis" I've had with her in 10 years, so I'm really a wreck over it.
>>
>>2343212
It's okay to feel like that as long as she's starting to act a little better in terms of eating/drinking and output. I was the same way when my cat had his uti, I thought he was going to die by the way he was howling.

Hopefully the pain meds help her today and the vet can provide more pain meds for her if needed. I hope she gets better and is back to normal in a couple weeks.
>>
How's your cat op?
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.