[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /an/. Need some advice here. This is my roommate's dog

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (2MB, 3879x2843px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3879x2843px
Hi /an/. Need some advice here. This is my roommate's dog Mia she is very sweet and weve bonded pretty well.
>tl:dr should I adopt my roommate's dog?

Some background on Mia, she was a rescue and I notice some behavior issues. She really doesnt like men and hated me at first and acted very agressive until she warmed up to me and now cuddles. She shakes if the vacuum and broom comes out so i suspect she was abused. She barks at people walking by outside. Shes also an older dog at 9 years.

My roommate is moving out and his having a baby. She wanted me to keep and adopt Mia, part of the reason is shes scared she would be agressive with the baby or overly defensive of it.

I have never owned a dog before but I really like Mia shes a good companion and I have happily watched her for weeks to a month and she was very easy going lap dog.

I guess my main concern is that my roommate expects me to take full financial responsibility for it. The food isnt much and she only eats 1 cup a day. I just worry that shes older and could get sick although in the 2.5 years ive lived with her she hasnt had any issues. I worry about her behavior and biting someone. My biggest worry is boarding. I like to travel often. I am planning on going to europe this summer and during holidays i go home and visit my parents for a month.

Anyways What am I taking on as a new dog owner? Im worried. I like mia and have always loved dogs. I was never allowed to as a kid. What kind of financial burden am i taking on? Will i have to give up my freedom of travel?
My roommate said she would be willing to watch Mia but I dont know how long or often.
>>
>>2340921
>She shakes if the vacuum and broom comes out so i suspect she was abused.
Not necessarily. For some reason most dogs are terrified of vacuum cleaners.
>>
>>2340931
Idk much about dogs but the fact that shes agressive with men and not women makes me think she was abused by a man. Plus one time she shook and hid under a bed for 30 mins when the vacuum came out and pissed all over the floor. I dont think thats normal. Sooo any advice?
>>
>>2340939
Oh and despite all the cons I guess and there really isnt shes generally very good. Shes very sweet and gentle. I love her. I have always had a bleeding heart for animals especially dogs. Shes low energy besides the barking at people outside. Likes to cuddle and sleep next to me. Shes a very sweet gentle dog with me. I just dont know the costs of an old dog or boarding. I dont realy have friends that would watch her.
>>
>>2340940
The barking is pretty normal, she's essentially telling them fuck off bc this is her house. A lot of dogs do that.

Talk to your room mate about finances, explain your concerns and try and see if he'd be willing to help if she became ill.

If he says yes then problem solved. If he says no and you decide she will be too much of a burden put her to a shelter and if you cannot do that then keep her. Whilst dogs are far from cheap and vets are far from cheap, most vets will offer the ability to pay for surgery in instalments.

Idk where you live but in the uk there's a charity called the pdsa who will help with vet bills and medication - if you really are in a dire situation I'm sure you will be able to find someone to help.

It sounds to me like you love her and don't want to lose her, I think you should do it.
>>
>>2340960
Thanks for your input. I had originally assumed and what we talked about sounded like an extended foster care or babysitting. We discussed splitting boarding or her babysitting Mia while I was on a trip.

She made it clear yesterday she now just wants a clean break and I would be responsible for everything. She would be willing to babysit her for maybe a week or two but overall seemed non comittal. So I dont know if I can count on her. She said she would be willing to donate like 100-200$ if she got sick or needed surgery but for the most part no. Shes 9 and my roomate said she will likely live to 15, no current medical issues very healthy. Shes a beagle and maybe terrier or chihuahua mix.

I guess im sort of bothered since I had agreed to keep her based on the ability to still go on extended trips. I understand its not feasible for my roommate to take her for extended periods having a kid and another dog. Even though I happily watched her for 2-3 months once and other week to week things for nothing in return. I guess im more worried about boarding and care costs if I go away rather than vet bills for now.

I do love Mia a lot shes a very sweet dog. If I closed my eyes and didnt keep her I would feel relief but very sad and very lonely. This dog is the only thing I have felt close to in ages.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>2340976
Pic related she's pretty god damn cute and we spend a lot of time together lately. I would feel sad if my roommate had to find another option or at worst put her in a shelter.
>>
>>2340978
It seems to me your options are
>give Mia to a shelter and lose a dog you love, but know she may end up with someone better financially prepared to deal with any medical issues she may have due to being an older dog
>keep Mia and be happier but still have to deal with the potential that she may become ill and medical expenses will be too much, you will also need to address her behavioural issues

Unfortunately this isn't a decision that can be made for you, and I would say it's definitely important to consider everything.

If you can find a nice kennel where they let you get Mia accustomed to the staff and the kennels themselves so that you can still travel and she wont be too stressed out the whole time. And, whilst she is an older dog, she still has a good few years and unless she has already experienced ill health and it is apparent that it will continue, it is more likely that she would need emergency vet treatment for an accident than illness.

I would say for sure the cons of an older dog are:
> wont have them for as long as you would a young dog
> possible health complications associated with old age (including heightened risk of cancers and tumors, cataracts, etc)
> harder, if not impossible, to get insurance for them
> difficult to rehome (emotionally and physically) if you need to move as many places aren't pet friendly
> you can't really be away from home for too long (even with younger dogs) as all dogs have some degree of separation anxiety, but it can be especially bad with dogs who are older and aren't used to being left, and with shelter dogs who may feel like they're being abandoned again

I have an 11 year old dog, she probably only has a year, maybe 2 left but even with every single one of these negatives I still think she's worth it.

I wish you the best of luck, especially as it is a very difficult position to be in.
>>
>If I closed my eyes and didnt keep her I would feel relief but very sad and very lonely

Nigga you already made up your mind, enjoy your new doggo
>>
>>2340978
Also she's adorable 10/10 would pat if she wanted to be patted
>>
If you don't have the means to take her to the vet in case something happens you really shouldn't take her. If the roommate offers to pay then have it on paper! They can backtrack any time if it's verbal.

The owner bought her, she's registered under that name, and they bought her knowing how much care a dog needs. Handing it over to you (almost like a guilt trip) when you haven't don't much research isn't really fair.
>>
If it comes down to it and the only real option is putting her in a shelter, I recommend sincerely considering putting her down.

Let her go out happy rather than living a couple more years feeling abandoned. Let's be honest, the chances of her being adopted again are slim.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>2340985
>>2341008
>>2341001
Thanks for weighing in. I could probably afford it. I do feel a little guilt tripped but shes a pretty good friend. I feel like im absorbing an old dog and the responsibility as a really really big favor and out of guilt not wanting Mia to end up elsewhere. However I really do love her shes a great little creature. She gets excited when I come home and I get this indescribable feeling of happiness when I see her and her eyes light up and she wags. I feel special she likes me so much. She likes me better than my roommate for the most part. I think its worth it to make each other happy for a few more years.

Thanks for all the advice and input. Its a tough decision but I think I will keep her. The more I think about it the more lonely and sad I feel if she ended up anywhere else.
>living a couple more years feeling abandoned. Let's be honest, the chances of her being adopted again are slim
This is my worst fear. I follow a bunch of doggo pages on facebook and I cry when I see videos about abandoned old dogs.

>>2340986
>>2340987
<3
>>
>>2340939
Probably extremely submissive. A lot of dogs tend to be aggressive with men because they come off as more dominating.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.