[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi guys, I need some help. I'm taking on responsibility

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_20170305_111431.jpg (2MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170305_111431.jpg
2MB, 3120x4160px
Hi guys,

I need some help. I'm taking on responsibility for a 6 week old puppy with weak back legs that is almost half the size of his litter mates. If I don't take him in he will likely die but I don't know the first thing about taking care of young puppies.

Any help, advice on how to strengthen his back legs? Can diet and exercise help?
>>
>>2338267
can it stay with mom for two more weeks? even one more week? Because right now it's chances are slim without mom
>>
File: IMG_20170320_094203.jpg (2MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170320_094203.jpg
2MB, 3120x4160px
>>2338268
My mistake, he's actually 7 weeks ish. Born on the 28th Jan. Will an extra week really help?

They are used for guard dogs, mom lives with about a dozen other dogs so they don't really get individual care .

I can get him any kind of meat he desires though, pic related. Was thinking of feeding him rice porridge with meat bits in until he can handle solid food

What do you guys think?
>>
Oh god guys I think his mother just tried to kill him. Nosed him over onto his back then fastened her jaws over him and he started whimpering. I never moved so quickly in my life.
>>
>>2338329
Holy shit... How sure are you? Because if that's the case then shit.... Do you know what it can eat? The back legs part will sort itself out with luck and lots of walking.
>>
I'm going to assume you don't live in the US.
Is there no where that sells puppy food? Mashing up raw meat won't be bad but being a weak little runt and still very young, you're going to end up killing it. It won't be enough for him. From the picture it doesn't look terrible, a little underweight by the looks of its hips.
He was probably the last conceived puppy, and healthy mom's with a proper diet do not usually have runts via a nutritional issues. Runts ESPECIALLY need their mother's milk. If he is still nursing then do your best to make sure he nurses even if you have to distract or restrain the mom if she is acting aggressive towards it. He needs the antibodies. If it really is too much of a hassle or danger, puppy formula. Unless he is done nursing, that is. Runts may nurse longer than other litter mates.

I have also heard you should supplement runts to make sure their bones toughen up but I can't say exactly what and how much would be safe for it.

Do any of the dogs have vaccinations? If there are so many dogs then you will worry about parvo, which will kill it and other pups fast and horribly.
>>
>>2338329
Any blood or broken skin? Growling(how loud?), snarling? How hard did she tighten? Mom canines will do this to puppies that are bothering her or being little shits, especially if they are at or near the end of weaning. It doesn't mean she will hurt or kill them but it really depends on how hard or aggressive she is being but given the situation I'd say keep them separated. This dog should not breed again due to a number of reasons but one of them being that aggressiveness towards her litter makes her not a suitable mom. Since there's also other dogs, she could be really stressed and territorial. Unspayed bitches can be very temperamental.
>>
>>2338336
>>2338342
I saw the whole thing happen. I let the puppy out to see how much she could walk. The mum came over and started sniffing and following her as she was wobbling around. Sometimes dog mums kill their puppies if they are weak or ill. But I think this one has a chance.

>>2338338
These dogs belong to someone else so I can't stay with them and monitor them all the time. They are almost due for vaccinations, they can afford basic care for their dogs but any major issues and they can't afford to pamper a gimp dog.

I will see if I can find any puppy formula. They seem to have started on solid kibble already, and cooked meats/cartilage so was going I could cook up some meats for her

Turns out its a girl puppy. I had to leave for a while and she started crying

I can't afford a vet to look at her guys and I don't know anything about dogs
you're my only hope
>>
>>2338342
A bit of low growling, but no broken skin or damage I could see. I know they lift their pups by the scruff sometimes but she nosed her over onto her back and it looked like she was gonna crush her ribcage
>>
7 weeks in fine on solid food, most pups are weened by 5 weeks. Obviously the pup still needs small pieced food, and high protein and fat for a while is going to be better, but the minute they grow teeth, mom weens 'em off.

Worry more about it's legs op.
>>
>>2338363
I'm worried about everything. Google suggests feeding her phosphorus which may help her legs but there's not much I can do without taking her to the vet.

Hopefully better nutrition and light exercise will help
>>
taking care of puppies isnt rocket science. Just buy HIGH QUALITY puppy food, keep her hydrated, warm and exercised and take her to the vet when you get the chance

There's a supplement paste that vets can give you that'll bulk up your pup in no time and the sooner a puppy that young gets it, the better
>>
>>2338348
It's not common but not the rarest thing either since one of the rules of breeding is to not continue to breed violent or shitty mothers. They are not your dogs though so perhaps you can at least convince the people not to breed her again.

Honestly, I think the puppy will live as long as it doesn't come down with an illness. Even if it is past weaning, mixing puppy formula in regular puppy chow(wet and soft foods will be easier on it, offer both soft and hard) wouldn't hurt. It will need more protein and vitamins than the other puppies. Make sure it's getting calicum. As long as it is getting the right foods then I have no doubt it will grow just fine if it's legs aren't deformed. They may be smaller and weaker but check to see if they're positioned right. Are they legs just weaker or are they actually crippled? Gimp dogs and dogs even missing legs do fine but if it's crippled, then it may need surgery depending on what a vet says. Dogs weight is distributed on all fours, and if it can't walk right with its back legs then it will put strain on the front and it's possible the dog will experience discomfort and pain while it grows in its hips and back legs if they aren't positioned right. On the bright side, even if it is a deformity it may not cause any pain nor require surgery(at least until old age where hip problems are common in medium to large dogs).

Excerise won't hurt either but do not over do it. Even in normal healthy pups you shouldn't overwork them. I don't know how big the parents are or how big the pup is going to grow but this is especially true for larger dogs. You can gently stretch and work the dogs back legs. Light walks. Look up 'dog hind leg excerises' like this.
http://www.ortocanis.com/en/content/61-exercises-for-strengthening-dog-hindlegs
>>
May not be able too but swimming is very good excerise without the potential pain and stress on the joints caused by weight. Fill a bath tub with warm water and hold it up to its belly, unless it freaks out. Then you'd have to get it used to the water first. This is not vital but it wouldn't hurt if you can.

It's a puppy so you just by walking and wobbling around it will help it a lot. It has a lot of growing to do and puppies at that age are naturally wobbly and clumsy. You should update us in a few months so.we know how the pupper is doing.
>>
File: IMG_20170320_123723.jpg (3MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170320_123723.jpg
3MB, 3120x4160px
>>2338374
I'll look into this supplement paste thing. I can't afford to take her to the vet though so it'll have to be diy.

>>2338375
Her legs are splayed out facing outwards. She can wobble around for a few feet before her back legs give out and she drags herself forward with her front paws. She doesn't seem to be in pain but what do I know.

Thank you very much for the resources. I'll try everything

>>2338377
She is quite curious about the world and wobbled around on her own exploring when I took her out of the pen.

Here is one last pic of her next to her brother who is literally twice her size
>>
>>2338399
>She can wobble around for a few feet before her back legs give out and she drags herself forward with her front paws.

That doesn't sound good. From the OP pic it doesn't look like she has swimmer syndrome but research that and see if any solutions may help with this pup. From what little I read it seems like you can make a brace to support and keep the legs in the right position as they grow. Would be best to get a vet's advice. Honestly, a vet visit shouldn't cost a lot just to get the dog seen. Since it's so young I imagine they would suggest some sort of brace as well. If you could getore pictures of the puppy so we can see the legs more, maybe someone here or in /diy/ can whip you up a diagram for a brace.
>>
>>2338348
Honestly, just don't.
If you can't afford vet care for a special needs animal, don't even bother taking it on.
You don't know how to take care of a regular puppy, much less one that could have 10 different (very very expensive) issues, and like half of those are probably life long.

I know you're trying to help, but coming from someone who works in animal medicine, you're probably just going to prolong her suffering.

She's at risk for so many things as a puppy rn, on top of what ever is going on in her hind end.

Sorry to say it.
>>
>>2338375
It could have a spinal injury?
It could've happened during birth, the mother could have sat on it (more common than you think) someone could have dropped it?

Don't exercise it until you know what's wrong! You could cause further injury.

If you can't afford to take it to the vet, don't take it on. no excuse.
>>
>>2338267
SS + GOMAD
>>
>>2338435
>let the puppy die rather than trying at all
>>
>>2338420
I'll try and get a video of her walking later tonight. I'm hoping an improved diet, environment and exercise will help strengthen her

>>2338432
>>2338435
Should I just snap her neck then?
>>
>>2338480
Hey OP I know you're trying to help out this little pup, but what exactly was the situation? Did you seek out a pet dog knowing you can't afford vet care or was it offered to you? Will the original owners put her down if you don't take her?

I'm wishing the best for you and her! I second at least getting her in for a routine check up, that shouldn't be to expensive and you can get a better idea of her chances that way.
>>
>>2338508
Mate I can't even afford to take her to the vet what do you think? I offered to take her in for a month since she'd probably die if left there. I don't blame the owner since they're used as guard dogs and they more or less let nature take its course. The bitch has already killed two of the same litter and spaying costs money as well. They monitor the feeding to make sure she doesn't hurt the pups but they can't get individual care because no one has the time and a gimp dog is useless. Vets are expensive and life is cheap.

I won't be here for long either so I have a couple months to nurse her and find her a good home
>>
I sent messages to the local dog charities asking if they can sponsor or recommend a cheap vet visit to find out what's wrong with her

I don't want to resort to googling how to put down a puppy at home lads, wish me luck
>>
Fuck lads, begging on normiebook paid off. An old friend offered to sponsor her vet visit. I'll be taking her there tomorrow.
>>
>>2338548

K. Keep us posted
>>
>>2338336
Holy Beautiful
>>
>>2338549
She's in my care now. Let her have a waddle around my room, seems like she can walk alright. Even tried to climb out of her crate. She cries whenever I leave her alone though

A short video of her
https://goo.g
l/photo
s/mGNECRYtSgdNub2r8
>>
>>2338595

I can see why you want to save her so bad; shes adorable

fucking shitstain backyard breeders need to get raped to death by roving packs of lions
>>
>>2338602
No need to hate, people do the best they can with what they have

Its not a first world country here, most dogs are mutts and mixes and they don't breed to sell or anything. Heck, we have stray animals all over the place. My first dog was a puppy my friend rescued from a storm drain. These puppies are a natural result of what happens when unspayed dogs are kept together and aren't sold for profit. He uses them as guard dogs or finds them good homes and buys them treats when he can afford to.

the world needs compassion not hate, my friend. I hope you understand. We are all trying our bestest

For profit puppy mills where they mistreat the animals need to go to hell though, that I agree with
>>
>>2338311
>used for guard dogs

you mean yard decoration dogs?
guard dog training is expensive and no dog defends propriety withoiut training contrary to mexican intellectuals
>>
>>2338610
I don't understand what you are talking about

Here there are many thieves and criminals. People usually keep some dogs running loose on their property be it home or office which will bark at intruders and scare them away.
>>
She managed to poo this morning. Also had a widdle. Took her into the bathroom with me when I was having my morning poo
>>
File: IMG_20170321_082947.jpg (1MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170321_082947.jpg
1MB, 3120x4160px
Still alive. Cuddling her totoro. On the way to the vet now
>>
>>2338901
wishing her well
>>
>>2338901
God, she's such a cutie, best of luck with her
Also, you should remove the eyes from that Totoro plush, she could tear them off and swallow them
>>
>>2338901
You have yourself an 11/10 pupper right there. I hope she makes it.
>>
File: IMG_20170321_072631.jpg (2MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170321_072631.jpg
2MB, 3120x4160px
She doesn't have distemper, vet has given us some antibiotics, vitamins and deworming meds. She suggests bringing her back next week for an xray.

Hopefully puppy vitamins will fix her legs!
>>
File: IMG_20170321_125548_001.jpg (2MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170321_125548_001.jpg
2MB, 3120x4160px
Poor thing had diarrhea all over the place while I was making her food. She's got deworming meds and puppy vitamins in her and its now her nap time.
>>
>>2339059
poor pupper, hope she feels better keep her belly warm so it doesnt hurt too much
>>
Please update.
>>
op pls update
>>
>>2339059
What a cute puppy. I hope the best for her.
>>
>>2338972

>unironically living in Japan

Why would anyone do this?
>>
>>2338348
>puppy kibble
>half of a raw egg per meal in the kibble
>once a day add a small scoop of lactose free yoghurt

That should help. The egg helps with protein and the yoghurt helps with the bacteria in her stomach

God speed anon.
>>
>>2341193
>Yogurt
Seconded. Not a lot but antibiotics also fuck up stomach bacteria you need. Yogurt has bacteria, it will help it.
>>
plz update
>>
You're a good man, OP
>>
good on you for taking care of him, he looks adorable
>>
puppies are ugly
>>
>>2342182
ur ugly
>>
>>2338438
this advice only works if you want your puppy's bone girth SMASHED and SLAMMED
>>
>>2343375
I don't think this puppies bones are

S M A S H E D
L
A
M
M
E
D

If they were they would not have these problems
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.