[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Mom and me move to new house >find out house has bed bugs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: bed-bug-on-skin.jpg (966KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
bed-bug-on-skin.jpg
966KB, 1200x900px
>Mom and me move to new house
>find out house has bed bugs
>mom wont tell landlord because she's thinks theyd kick us out
>I'm just a lowly supermarket clerk and don't have the funds to pay for an exterminator myself
Yes, this would be so much easier if my mom wasn't crazy/stupid
So /an/, any advice on getting rid of these little shits, preferably in ways that wont also kill my cats.
Obviously I'm getting silica dust to treat the cracks and crevices where my little furry retards can't stick their faces.
I've heard a fairly easy to get otc dewormer, Ivermacin(sp), can actually make my blood toxic to them in small doses.
There's also steaming but those things are rather pricey and the application seems fairly time consuming and just the greatest way to add a mold problem to my concerns.
>>
You staying in a tropical climate or do you have strong winters?
>>
>>2337755
Tell the landlord yourself.
>>
>>2337755
He won't kick you out, trust me dude. This is serious shit, obviously it's been there since before you were there, and he'll probably freak out when he finds out since bedbugs are pretty serious.
>>
>>2337809
>Implying most landlords don't just pull the "ay they ain't bedbugs they's just beetles or waterbugs or sumthin' ay" especially when the family moving in is blatantly poor and can't do shit about it
>>
>>2337764
Bed bugs have been on the rise in America for two decades now.
>>
>>2337755
euthanize your mom
>>
>>2337755
>>2337812
>don't have the funds to pay for an exterminator myself
A lot of the more major exterminators have a free pest inspection
>>
>>2338229
I work at an apartment complex so I'll let you in on a few things. Anyone can get bed bugs, there are free pest inspections but only if you have them. Do you or your mom have bites? They usually come in groups of 3 (breakfast, lunch, dinner).
Most importantly for you, the pest control company should be able to give you an estimate when the infestation happened depending on how big they are.

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT TREAT OR SPRAY ON YOUR OWN OR THEY WILL SPREAD EVERYWHERE.
>>
>Able to survive 2 years on a single drop of blood.

The only viable answer is to run and burn everything behind.
These things are straight from hell.
>>
>>2337825
Heating or freezing out bedbugs is one of the cheapest methods out there.
>>
Buy a few things. Plastic bed covers from target for each mattress. Pillow and couch covered in seram wrap. Buy a spray bottle and rubbing alcohol bottles all under 21$. And get busy exterminating!
>>
>>2338278
This is factually incorrect. A bed bug at room temperature in North America during the summer will only last 8 months to a year without food.
>>
Diatomaceous Earth is your friend.
>>
>>2337755
get a blowdryer and burn them.
>>
Neem oil mixed 50 50 with water in a spray bottle. They hate it. Lived with a fuckup who didn't care. Could only spray my room. They stayed out like if Trump built a wall.

Then contact landlord. Maybe talk to neighbors. If they try to blame you for the infestation they are frauds.
>>
>>2337755
This is bait. As in, you and your mom are the only proven bed bug baits and to kill them you need to take advantage of that fact. They can't fly, but supposedly, crawling up your wall and divebombing you is a thing. Put your bed and couch on risers, make sure no covers dangle to touch the ground, and move them away from walls and other furniture. They have difficulty in crossing smooth surfaces, so wall off your ceiling with a strip of packaging tape. Also do this around your outlets, since they like to hide there. You have now created people islands, and the bed bugs only way to get to you are through the legs of your furniture and risers.
Seal off your bed with bug proof zipper covers for 40 dollars for the box spring and mattress (that's the price on Amazon for Queen size)
Most sprays kill on contact, but they will quickly learn to avoid sprayed areas by smell. Therefore dusts are more effective.
FOOD GRADE Diatomaceous earth can be had for 20 dollars for a bag of 10 pounds from Amazon. It's mechanism of killing is by damaging a bugs waxy coating, causing them to dry out. Apply lightly if it's your primary dust, as you want the bugs to be able to move through it, scratching their cuticle along the way. Too much and they'll look for another path. You'll also care to avoid putting it in places where it can get kicked up into the air and inhaled as it is an irritant. The cilia in your lungs can sweep it out, but apparently people that work with the POOL grade stuff have a higher chance for respiratory problems later in life, so don't risk it. Also don't get it wet or you'll have to replace it. Personally, I had mine setup with excess and used it for denial of area effect as my primary dust was CimeXa.
CimeXa is super pricey, 15 dollars for a 4 oz bottle. 120 for the big 5 pound pail. What it is is silica dessicant dust, like the stuff the keeps your shoes from mold. It has been static charged so it sitcks to the side of furniture and of course bugs. cont.
>>
>>2338669
Being a dessicant, it will gradually draw water from the bed bugs, thus killing them. This dust remains viable for years, as it will eventually lose water from bugs or our carelessness and be ready to kill again. It also sticks with the bugs as they carry it back to their hideouts, potentially even killing other bugs that haven't come out for a blood meal.
These dusts mechanically kill the bed bugs, so resistances to chemical pesticides aren't a factor. How I had it set up was I doused the three harder to get to bed risers with Diatomaceous earth. It would kill any bug dumb enough to crawl through it, but mostly funnel them through the last riser, which had a light dusting of CimeXa.
What's most important is getting them to crawl through a dust, so you could probably get away with proper furniture placement and 20 plus 15 for the DE and CimeXa and isolating the feet of your bed and couch with paper plates. But then you'd need to wash and high heat dryer your sheets and vacuum your mattress every once in a while to pick them up from your bed. And if either of them have tears, they can simply hide in there. Risers can be had for 11 dollars off Amazon.

Final price tag:
>35 in dust
>40 per bed
>3 packaging tape
>*11 per set of 4 risers
>*10 bulb duster bottle
Can you afford the 160 dollars to make your home a death trap for bed bugs?
>>
Depends, some landlords are scum, others are decent.

Also depends on the scale of the infestation. If its just a few, its more of a time issue. The biggest obstacle with these, and many pests, is simply that people dont have time to fully assess the scale and location and then properly treat it.

The exterminator compensates for this by having access to chemicals the general public doesnt. With proper treatment, you get the peace of your home back. It usually takes several treatments for a modest infestation.

Three things tend to complicate this for people:

1 Freaking out because they see one or two and are wrongly convinced they have a full scale infestation
2 Worrying like hell while they make that decision and not actually knowing what they are up against or have to do
3 ... and this one can't be overstated.... either not knowing how to react and prevent re-infestation, or worse- not having control over the environment, which is demoralizing because some living situations dont give you control when you *do* know what to do. For example, having some common sense on how to react, yet a room mate keeps visiting a place you know has them and doesnt treat for it. Or having a slovenly neighbor across an apartment hallway, etc...
>>
>>2338952

OP, if you do choose to handle this yourself, you might pull it off, but you have to accept that its a war of attrition. You have to constantly degrade the enemy and accept total victory may take a while, and you have to be on offense. You will have to resort to blitzkrieg chemical warfare sometimes and be educated on fighting them. With smaller scale problems it is possible, but not very advisable. The 'geography' of all domiciles is not always a candidate for non-professional treatment. Often, you might find that its a matter of killing adults on sight while making absolutely sure that mating and egg laying is never successful and no eggs can hatch or young survive. Sometimes its just a non stop campaign of chemical harassment, where the bastards die of age and wear, and you have simply prevented a new generation from emerging or being transplanted in from elsewhere.

Remember, its the younger ones that are especially voracious. Adults eat more out of habit and aren't especially bothersome except to be unsightly. After an age, they dont feed often. But the younger ones can be insatiable. The upside with them is that they are so hungry that they dont have the sense to flee upon detection, being enraptured in feeding.

They are blind and an exceptionally stupid bug, and exhibit brainless, insensate behavior (thus the expression 'crazy as a bedbug'). They follow heat and the 'smell' of carbon dioxide.

In treatment, especially if you use diatomaceous earth, its not all about killing, but confinement so they cant move easily. When isolated, they can be easier to kill; you dont want to give them a reason AND access to move out of the kill zone.

They are not an ambitious scavenger either, and will stay close to bedding unless there is nothing there and they have reason to roam...
>>
>>2338955

Good luck OP. Some of the finest places in the US have suffered this problem, so dont feel you suffer alone. Ultimately, your determination will gurantee your victory and you will get the peace you deserve.
>>
i used an $8 tube of horse ivermectin after spending thousands exterminating them from my bedroom with a combination of heat, diatomaceous earth and professional poison applications

.. they regrouped and infested my front room chair and were biting me in the fucking daytime

i stopped noticing bites within a week. it's been almost a year

i would do it again without hesitation
>>
>>2337825
This, they're part of the "vibrant diversity" our leadership decided we needed.
>>
>>2339109

Actually, iirc, the feds banned some chemical pesticide that nearly driven them to extinction in North America.
>>
>>2339616
DDT. Kills bees too. Might cause development issues.
>>
>>2337812
In civilised countries landlords are legally required to deal with bedbugs since infestations can easily become epidemics
>>
File: RELEASE.gif (221KB, 500x577px) Image search: [Google]
RELEASE.gif
221KB, 500x577px
I've got a pretty big roach problem right now because my landlord left the basement unfinished. They come in and have an exterminator come in but there isn't anything he can do but spray. They're oriental roaches that live both inside and outside and become inactive in winter. Now that spring has come about they're coming back. Most die pretty much instantly upon arrival but a few seem immune and crawl around. It wouldn't be a huge deal but there are just so many of them of very large size. Their nest is most likely outside somewhere so getting it is almost impossible.
>>
Wash anything you can with hot water and a hot air dry.

At the same time, begin a chemical warfare campaign.

Go to a feed or grain store. Pick up concentrated permethrin. Mix it in a sprayer at a 1.5% concentration.
Spray fucking everything. Spray fucking everywhere. Get your curtains. Get under the bed. Get every corner.

Permethrin is toxic to insects, fish and cats. It smells kinda bad when still drying so keep a window open. Sunlight degrades it, but otherwise it's extremely stable and adheres strongly to fabric, even through a wash. A treatment should last months.

You can also do >>2338959. Seriously, it works and ivermectin won't hurt you. It has an enormous therapeutic index. Just dose yourself with the right amount based on your weight. Bed bugs will bite you and die from your toxic blood.
>>
>>2340139
Permethrin is a known human carcinogen. In addition, like all pyrethrin derivatives, there is growing suspicion in the medical literature that exposure to such insecticides increases your risk for future Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21402100

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24503016

http://news.emory.edu/stories/2015/04/immune_gene_pesticide_parkinsons/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4755338/

https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_search/reg_actions/reregistration/fs_PC-109701_1-Jun-06.pdf

Do not use pyrethrins if you value your life, your health, or your safety.
>>
>>2340200
Fud. The studies show that rats fed a high dosage of permethrin develop benign cancer in the lungs and liver. Big fucking surprise. It's a literal neurotoxin evolutionarily designed to kill insects. If you feed rats toxic shit bad things happen to them.
Because of this the EPA has put permethrin on the list of likely carcinogens, but it's still used in agriculture and medicine on a regular basis. It's still the go to for scabies and lice, and it's still applied to crops by the ton.

So now some facts:
Permethrin is poorly absorbed through the skin.
Once dry permethrin treated surfaces/clothing are considered safe for direct human contact and wear.
The EPA has said permethrin treated clothing is safe.
The US army treats uniforms with permethrin and has seen a significant drop in the number of soldiers infected by pathogens carried by insects.
Permethrin is probably what an exterminator would spray in your house anyway.
Getting rid of bed bugs is really hard, and permethrin is very effective against them.
The studies linked focus on trying to tie a link between pesticides in general to Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's. The main risk group is industrial workers handling pesticides, and farmers applying them on a daily basis for years. Even still, only tentative links have been made and more research is required.

Things to do when working with permethrin:
Wear gloves.
Wear a mask if you can.
Work in a ventilated area.
Don't make your sprayer stream too fine to avoid putting permethrin aerosol into the air.
Keep your sprayer within 6-8 inches from the application surface for the same reason.
Wait until surfaces are thoroughly dry before re-entering a treated room.
Do not apply permethrin to your skin unless prescribed by a doctor
Do not ever consume permethrin.
>>
>>2340230
or:

>don't use pyrethrins

spotted the ((pesticide spokesperson)) though, nice ((quickfax))
>>
>>2341035
Don't use any household cleaners.
Don't ever pump gasoline.
Don't ever go in any city.
Don't ever use paint.
Don't eat anything from a store. (probably contains pyrethrins!)

Farmers spray pyrethrins on a regular basis and even after 30 years the studies linking normal use of pyrethrins to cancer or anything else is tenuous at best.
>>
>>2337755
I got bedbugs in a shitty cheap apartment I stayed in with some Indian students and it was the fucking worst. I still get super jittery whenever I feel anything on my skin when I'm in my bed.
>>
>>2339968
I would literally take roaches any day of the week than bedbugs
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.