[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My dog has a nail that is crooked. She's walking funny and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: 20170318_183159.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20170318_183159.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
My dog has a nail that is crooked. She's walking funny and it's clearly hurting her. Will it fix itself? What should I do?
>>
File: 20170318_183206.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20170318_183206.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
Another picture
>>
V E T
E
T
>>
>>2337570
>>>/vet/
>>
>>2337570
No it won't fix itself.
Vet most definitely. You don't want it getting infected and then eventually having to amputate her foot
>>
>>2337579
>>2337582
>>2337585
She's my parents dog, and they can't afford the vet. In fact I doubt they would take her if they could. Is there anything I can do myself?
>>
>>2337586
Bring her to a shelter so she can get adopted by someone who is willing to actually take care of her
>>
>>2337586
Why would your parents buy a dog they couldn't afford to pay for?

Put her up for adoption
>>
>>2337586
You said it was your dog and now suddenly since you might have to pay for something you backpedal and say it's your parents dog?
I'm sure you could at least get some free advice from them if you can't afford some antibiotics or shit.
Though that nail looks like it was almost yanked out
>>
>>2337588
They had a bunch of kids they couldn't afford to take care of either

>>2337590
It's only my dog in the sense that I used to live with these people, and their dogs.

I will try that free advice, but does anyone here have any knowledge of how I could handle this? What about some antiseptic, and wrap it in a bandage? Will it heal?
>>
>>2337570
It won't fix itself. This dog is likely in an extreme amount of pain and it's likely to devolve into an infection if you don't do something. The nail needs to be removed and bandanged.
>>
>>2337570
If it doesn't get fixed soon, it will get infected if it isn't already. If you let the infection fester, then it will lose the whole paw. If you allow it to go on still, it could lose the whole leg. If you still let the rot persist, an older or sick dog could get an infection in the body and eventually organs
>>
>>2337623
>>2337619
Fuck. I'll try to tell my father's wife, but I doubt she'll do anything either. These people are stupid, but more than that they're fucking selfish. I would take the dog to the vet myself but I'm a jobless cretin.

I'll see if I can ask a vets advice. Any useful links or websites I can use?
>>
>>2337570
Jesus christ everyone here is fucking retarded

its just a broken nail. It looks pretty fresh.

take a pair of pliers and quickly rip the rest of it off, clean the area and apply some antibacterial ointment do the meaty bits and bandage it up.

That's literally what the fucking vet would do.
>>
>>2337655

Don't do this.

Right, your issue is that your dogs 'nail' is not really akin to a human nail. Dogs essentially walk around on their fingertips, aka they need those nails to walk. My worry is that she might have damaged her distal phalanx, as the deviation on that claw is rather extreme to put it politely.

As your dog is clearly in pain, you have a legal responsibility under the animal welfare act to seek veterinary advice. Ideally, it looks like your dog will need analgesics for the pain and then possibly a radiograph to see how much damage there actually is. It is not a simple case of clipping the rest off.

As everyone else has said in this thread, really you need to take her to a vet ASAP. You will make the situation worse by bandaging it etc, as quite honestly most owner's don't know how to properly bandage their dogs foot. In the meantime, pop a cone of shame on her to stop her messing with it.

I do feel for you r.e the money, but unfortunately the moment your parent's took this dog on they also took on a legal right to ensure that it's veterinary care is taken on. Do the right thing, either take it to a vet, or hand it in to a shelter where it can get adequate treatment.
>>
>>2337655
>jesus Christ I'm so fucking retarded. Why did my parents breed? Why do I even try to give advice? I'm living pile of human debris that'd be better off as carrion for insects though even that is more than I am capable of

FTFY
>>
>>2337754
>I have no idea what I'm talking about

No, they don't NEED those nails to walk. Look how long those fucking nails are in his picture...obviously too long and it probably got caught on something and ripped. The base of the nail is going to give way before the fucking bones and tendons do. I used to work at a vet office and we saw this shit all the time. No, they don't need radiographs unless the vet suspect an actual broken bone, which from the looks of it is highly unlikely. The nail surrounds the meaty bit which is overtop the bone. The nail is at an extreme angle because it has been ripped from the base and is still dangling by the cuticle. The vets would literally rip the rest of the nail off, disinfect, and call it a day. Works pretty much like a human losing a finger nail.

I'll agree with you about the bandage point, though.

>>2337769
wew lad.
>>
>>2337655
>Vets use pliers
>>2337836
>I interned once in the summer guys, I know!!!!!!

dunning-kruger in spades and why people who aren't certified vets shouldn't be giving advice to fuck all besides the wart on their asscheeck
>>
>>2337836

The fact you worked at a vets office and completely ignored the fact the dog quite obviously needs some analgesics tells me everything quite honestly.

You should know darn well that the median and ulna nerve branches run into the quick, nail bed injuries hurt as OP has quite clearly realised.

On top of that telling OP to "quickly rip the rest of it off" is downright dangerous, a vet would be highly likely to do it under sedation/ GA - I would not want to be ripping a dogs nail off with it fully awake- that's just asking for OP's dog to bite him.

> No, they don't need radiographs unless the vet suspect an actual broken bone, which from the looks of it is highly unlikely

You have not examined this dog physically, you cannot rule out a broken phalanx. Let me also now make you aware that in the dog the claw sits in the unguicular process of the distal phalanx, fusing with the periosteum and longitundinally interdigitates between the dermal and epidermal laminae - which then strongly bonds the claw to the bone. Aka the nail does NOT "surround the meaty bit which is overtop the bone". God knows what you are even referring to in terms of "meaty bit" as there aren't any muscles in the base of the paw.

So yes, there is actually a likelihood the pup has damaged the bone as well as the nail here, and I would certainly not wanting to be pulling a nail off with a pair of pliers without sedation if nothing else. The nail of a canine is very different to the nail of a primate, which grows from a curved fold of dermis at the base of the epidermis.
>>
>>2337839
Well vet's do use pliers, but they don't yank nails out with them. But that's because surgery is still surprisingly barbaric.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (57KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
57KB, 1280x720px
>>2337895

I'm always amazed when people classify surgery this way. I'm not quite sure what people expect us to do when we're removing a limb/ tooth extraction for example.

However I would argue that any pliers used are often veterinary grade, and fully sterilised before they are used. I highly doubt OP has an autoclave machine at home.
>>
OP, lie and tell your parents that your neighbor confronted you and said they would call animal control because the dog is limping and in obvious pain. If they ask for the name, tell them no, you aren't a fucking snitch, and then guilt trip them and show them how the dog is limping. Offer to the take the dog yourself even.

Call the vet up and explain exactly what is going on, and how your parents are, and more than likely they will give you advice on what to do, or give you a cheap appointment because they care about the animal.
>>
>>2337590
People refer to their parents dogs as their own if they live with them
>>
>>2337899
It's just a disconnect from media portrayal is all. I'm always just a little surprised when I see Makita drills being used.
>>
>>2337594
This happened to my dog and it was important to take them to the vet to ensure it was properly wrapped and not infected. They will probably need to sedate her if it's not completely removed otherwise that's going to hurt the dog to have it dangling around.
>>
>>2338083

You ain't seen nothing, yet.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2pd5ms
>>
>>2338091
Eh not as bad as the necrosis surgeries.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.