[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I caught a mouse yesterday, but it has a broken leg from my cats

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: 66ziggl3re0y.jpg (77KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
66ziggl3re0y.jpg
77KB, 1024x683px
I caught a mouse yesterday, but it has a broken leg from my cats getting to it first. Any tips on how to feed, water, and take care of it?
>>
Just use a mouse care sheet.
Wildlife centre
Rat vet. Vets dont care
It may still die of shock
>>
>>2337490
He is fine, and moving around and eating.
>>
>>2337436
That's a kangaroo rat nigga that ain't a mouse
>>
>>2337491
If you wanna keep him get a cage with really tight bar spacing or use an aquarium. Mice naturally use wheels, so get one when he heals up.

If not just keep a steady supply of water and feed him until he's healed up and then set him free at least 2 miles away.
>>
>>2337563
The problem is water. I have no spare bottle, so the best i could try would be a bottle cap.
>>
>>2337636
They'll drink from a little bowl, if he's wild he probably doesn't know how to use a bottle. The annoying thing is they'll bury the water with whatever bedding you put in.
>>
>>2337436
Feed it to your cats
>>
pour molten aluminum on it for some ebin YouTube sheckels
>>
>>2337436
>he fell for the 'taking care of pest as if it was a captive-bred animal' meme
>>
>>2337490
>C02 buildup
Don't listen to this retard, he doesn't even know what CO2 actually is.

Carbon dioxide asphyxiation is a painful experience because it causes a rise in acidity of the blood. This is the painful sensation you get when you hold your breath that you can relieve by breathing again.

The poster I quoted is a fucking retard. If you want to asphyxiate the mouse painlessly, you need to use an inert gas like nitrogen or helium. For reference, nitrogen is a gas that anaesthesiologists use to knock you out - when they do this, you just painlessly fall asleep.

>>2337490
Seriously kill yourself you fucking moron.
>>
>>2337862
Carbon monoxide doesn't build up in a sealed container with an animal, it is a product of incomplete combustion. Like burning wood or car exhaust.
>>
>>2337844
they use n2o mixed with oxygen at the precise ratio so as not to induce hypoxia

eat a b12 supplement if you're going under nitrous at the dentists office
>>
>>2337844

For reference, they tend to use argon actually for euthanising lab rats/mice.

It's normally 60-90% argon, no more than 25-30% Co2 with 1% Oxygen (I have read about 2% O2 used in studies, but they often found the rats/mice were more aversive to the mixture, and were often exhibited bradypnoea (slow breathing) before falling unconscious, which is associated with severe pain in humans.

But you are very correct, carbon dioxide is acidic and at higher concentrations for euthanasia is very painful. In fact as gruesome as it sounds, OP would be best to use blunt force on the mouse's head (one quick blow) for an easier death.
>>
>>2337897
חחח
ח
ח
>>
>>2337436
Give it back to your cat, dumbass.
Your feefees are not a justification for interfering with nature
>>
>>2337436
Let it go. Wash everything it and you touched. Hanta virus is very real and scary as fuck.
>>
>>2337436
>Any tips on how to feed, water, and take care of it?
No idea, but I bet your cat has lots of tips on how to catch, tenderize, and prepare it.
>>
>>2337659
I never had this problem.. Except..
I gave my rat coffee and he lost his fucking mind over it and tried to emulate the beverage by shitting in his water mug and stirring it around.
Sprague dawleys are great but also mildly retarded.

Cut a water bottle to extra low height around the base but leave a tall strip of plastic on the side.
Tap all edges with a lighter and smooth them out because they are sharp, and use the plastic strip to tape the device to the side of the enclosure. This prevents a lot of fucking toilet paper, paper towels or other bedding from being ruined constantly.
Secure it well and do not leave tape exposed. Throw a clean rock in the middle to weigh it down if the mouse is using it the wrong way, which it will.
>>
File: IMG_20170320_041415.jpg (553KB, 1120x1680px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170320_041415.jpg
553KB, 1120x1680px
>>2338470
Get a pair of scissors and some cardboard out and enjoy your bitchwork because mouse is 10x harder to please than rat. Later.
>>
>>2338447
>Interfering with nature
>He feeds and cares for his cat

Nigga he already interfered with nature, why is helping a mouse out any worse?
>>
>>2338600
when a well fed domestic cat does anything including shit in your yard it's NATURRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

but when mean evil NOT NATURRRRRR human interferes it's NOT NATURE

t. /an/ cat owners
>>
>mice

throw it in the yard let it fend for itself

shitty fucking pest rodents do nothing but chew, shit, take any food crumbs they can, and be general little assholes.

I feel no remorse using classic mouse traps on those fuckers
>>
>>2337683
This. Let your damn cats feel like real cats for one time in their lives instead of the enslaved semi-domesticated prisoners you've turned them into.
>>
>>2339526
>tfw my cat has killed countless birds but hasn't eaten a single one
Is he, dare I say it, too pussy to go all the way?
>>
>>2339441
Cats don't fit in mouse traps anon.
>>
>>2339532
lol max
>>
Let the mouse outside, hopefully it'll be eaten by something, and not make more mice
>>
File: Mousie.webm (671KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Mousie.webm
671KB, 320x240px
My experience with house mice is that they really, really like oats, and occasionally bread crust, sun flower seed, and a bit of peanut butter on cracker.

Also, give him something he can hide in with a bit of bedding; I used a cigarette box and some shredded toilet tissue. Its important for their sense of peace and security. Make sure he cant use it to jump out.
>>
>>2337636
>bottle cap
Thats what I used, both for water and food.

Id change it daily; when they scurry, it will get waste in or tip over. An eye dropper can be handy.
>>
Also, dont stimulate it too much; they seem to despise any attention at all (naturally).

But, dont leave it in a totally barren environment. Have some new structures for it to map and investigate every day. You can use little bits of small litter; a crumpled card board tube etc. You can re-use them simply by moving them or turning them on their sides etc.

It seems to be good for their spirits and mental health to have something new to puzzle over, or inventory to their memory. Coins, toothpicks and so on.

I discovered this from one I had kept in an empty basin. After a few days, he would start behaving like a cat and reacting to imaginary things. Animals with minds have to exercise them or they begin to 'malfunction'.

Its advise I give to people who keep pets in enclosed homes, to bring something new to their pet. Change is what gives us the sense that time is moving and an interactive world.

When I give animals toys, new obstacles, or curios, it rewards having some intelligence, a sort of neurological treat or chew toy.

In the case of the mouse, after some obstacles and toysto negotiate, map and inventory, he stopped the odd behavior.
>>
>>2339691

.. I should add that some things they will move themselves. If they seem to be personalizing the area close to their home, you may want to leave some things still, they like some sense of familiarity too. You may occasionally have to change bedding, as they will destroy their habitat slowly over time. Interaction should be minimal; no amount with an adult will 'tame' them.

This changing of their environment may have something to do with their natural habit of roaming. Having no place to roam is stressful no matter how much you pamper them; changing the environment apparently mitigates that somewhat.

There is the issue of the broken leg; its serious. Running is their main defense. To add, an animal that has developed stealth loses grace with injury; coordination to evade predators and remain quiet will be harder now.
>>
>>2337490
Fucking sealing him from external air ain't gonna do shit. When I have to, I use my car's exhaust. I used to recommend helium but now the bottles are filled with air. If you're from /diy/ you can make and use a hydroxy generator.

THIS ASIDE, WHERE CAN I BUY A CUTE MOUSE LIKE IN >>2337436 (Australian)
All the mice I see in shops are massive, my cat occasionally brings in a small one like that, but I've never managed to get to one alive.
Just set a trap?
If it's okay to kill them, what's the harm in keeping them as pets.
>>
>>2337766
I'd rather see a live field mouse gently put into liquid nitrogen.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.