[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So. My dog won't catch food out of the air. He did a couple

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 20170301_184355.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170301_184355.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
So. My dog won't catch food out of the air.

He did a couple times at first while trying to teach him to. But now he just runs away a little bit after I say "catch".

I think he knows what catch means but he just treats it as a warning because he doesn't like having food thrown at his face. That's exactly what it looks like is happening here. Before he caught the food those few times he would just let it hit him in the face.

Any advice on how to get him to snap food out of the air?
>>
>>2334158
Dumb nigger dog
>>
>>2334158
I just dropped food on my dog's head and wouldn't let him pick it up off the ground until he started to catch it. He became really good at it, he wouldn't even open his mouth when I first started
>>
maybe you could try throwing it from the side. so when he doesn't catch it, it doesn't hit him in the face.
>>
>>2334158
Sometimes I throw food to my dog, and she looks at it arcing through the air until it lands on her nose. Then she remember she's supposed to catch it and tries to get it when it bounces.
Sometimes, I throw her food and she just starts opening and closing her mouth several times without moving her head, as if that'd help.
>>
>>2334158
I've read that using popcorn is really effective at teaching this because it has so much more hang time than most other foods.
>>
Do you seriously have to teach a dog to do this?

I thought it was one of those instinctive things like giving their paw
>>
>>2334401
Yeah. They have to learn it.
>>
If someone kept throwing food in your face too every time they said a word, you'd try and run away whenever they said it. It's not pleasant to have things thrown at you or hit you in the face even if it is something small or light or ordinarily enjoyable and plenty of animals will flinch or try to get away if something does. You should have started by throwing it above him so it would land behind him, but by now he'll probably balk even at that.

I recommend throwing it off to the side past him, letting him chase it/try to catch it. Slowly aim the food closer to him but still off to the side so that he can catch it more easily and is still certain he won't be hit. Eventually work on throwing it over his head.

Drop using the word catch too for a while. Teach him the trick, and once he knows how to do it and is comfortable with food being thrown/consistent in catching it start saying the word catch right after he does. Start to introduce the word catch earlier and earlier until you're saying it when you ordinarily would. Hopefully by then he won't remember what catch used to mean. If he does, go to the last step that worked and start over from there.
>>
>>2334401
Dogs have to learn everything, m8.
Most dogs who do things "instinctively" actually learned without their owners really paying attention.
>>
>>2334426
No offense. But you type like you're in the spectrum.

Aspergers?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.