[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guys, I need someone who knows about dog behavior. My Malamute/Husky

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 20170307_120952.jpg (535KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170307_120952.jpg
535KB, 2048x1152px
Guys, I need someone who knows about dog behavior.

My Malamute/Husky mix, who is fully grown, just attacked his puppy we just brought home.

We had to rush the puppy to the vet due to a puncture in his neck, but no serious wounds besides that.

My question is what could make my dog do this? He has visited them numerous times without attacking and he even was playing with the puppy for a solid 5 to 10 minutes before the attack.

He is normally a very mellow and non-aggressive dog. What the hell happened?
>>
ignore the flipped image because I'm an idiot.

I just need answers. My room mate and I are baffled that he would go from playing and just being mellow to full on trying to attack him and any answers would be very appreciated.
>>
>>2331076
You brought a new dog into his territory. What did you expect?

Huskies and malamutes have a high prey drive too and are generally not safe around small fluffy animals, including small dogs.

When I brought a new dog home with my husky, we kept them separated for like 3 weeks and just walked them close together everyday. Even when I was comfortable that my husky wasn't acting territorial anymore, I still never left them alone together until the puppy was big enough not to be seen as prey.

No one can really tell you the exact reason why the attack happened without witnessing it. The puppy might have overstepped its bounds, the puppy might have triggered the chase and kill instinct in your dog, your dog might have been resource guarding a toy/bed/food and attacked.
>>
>>2331076
Male adults are pretty murderous against male puppies
>>
>>2331082
>>2331085
After googling a lot of resources, you guys aren't wrong.

I'm a terrible dog owner and need to be more careful. Thank you.
>>
>>2331088
I'm sorry that this happened to you but I'm glad that you realized what you did wrong and that you'll work to not let this happen again. You're like, the most civil and reasonable person who's solicited advice that I've seen on /an/. Hope your puppy is feeling better.
>>
>>2331088
I agree with >>2331098. Wish there were more people who came to /an/ like you. Good luck with your pups
>>
>>2331088
Shit happens, learning from it is what separates you from the trash. Keep the pup in its own area. Feed them slightly closer together everyday, with a barrier. Let them work out the pecking order through other things instead of physical violence. Not much different than introducing chickens into an established flock. If you put them right in, they will die. Slowly acclimate them, and they will get picked on only.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.