[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/herp/ - Reptile & Amphibian General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 319
Thread images: 76

File: PrehensileTailedSkink.jpg (142KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
PrehensileTailedSkink.jpg
142KB, 600x400px
previous >>2320055

/herp/ reptile classifieds for finding breeders of various scaled and sundry creatures

>kingsnake.com
>faunaclassifieds.com
>reptilescanada.com (Canadian breeders)
>Also check to see if there are any annual reptile shows/expos in your area as these are good places to find good animals from good breeders at partial discount

/herp/ officially official all purpose care sheet of wonder and magic

>sand a shit
>use a thermostat
>read all the caresheets
>set up your tank before you get your herp
>regulate temps & humidity levels prior to herp arrival
>do not fuck with (handle) your herp for at least 7 days after bringing it home and ideally wait until herp has eaten at least one meal (for snakes), two meals for lizards, frogs, etc.
>PVC tanks are way better for most applications and worth the extra money
>it is best to avoid chain pet stores when looking to purchase live animals as mass breeder suppliers are not especially careful about health and sound genetics... it often saves you money long term to spend a little extra up front to get a healthy animal

>Jump Start (formerly Hydrofarm) thermostat is a good basic and inexpensive thermostat for regulated ceramic heat emitters and under tank heaters (Amazon sells it)
>if you want something more advanced for temperature control, look at Herpstat products
>>
File: Argus.jpg (129KB, 564x405px) Image search: [Google]
Argus.jpg
129KB, 564x405px
>>
File: IMG_20170307_004739.jpg (90KB, 802x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170307_004739.jpg
90KB, 802x960px
Momo says hello to /herp/. She went to the vet and she's healthy!
>>
File: CoruciaZebrata.jpg (946KB, 2438x1395px) Image search: [Google]
CoruciaZebrata.jpg
946KB, 2438x1395px
>>
File: Solomon island ground boa.jpg (179KB, 960x764px) Image search: [Google]
Solomon island ground boa.jpg
179KB, 960x764px
>>
File: Ceratobatrachus guentheri.jpg (241KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
Ceratobatrachus guentheri.jpg
241KB, 1000x667px
>>
I just brought home a bearded dragon that the previous owners couldn't care for anymore. It's my first time handling one but I've done a lot of research.
That being said I'd like some advice. How much time should I give him to adjust? When should I start feeding him? When do I turn off the UV and basking light and turn on the sleepy time light? Any help is appreciated.
>>
Has anyone here had an animal shipped to their house? Ive seen a lot of people do it but im unsure about the humane-ness of it even though its one day shipping
>>
>>2330136
I've had several shipped to me. As long as the shipper is responsible in their shipping times and packaging, it's very safe. It's going to be stressful of course, but most healthy snakes will only need a week or two to settle in (not sure about lizards as I'm not interested in lizards much).

They will be a bit dehydrated, as well, so some species may be dull upon arrival, but generally I've found a few hours in an appropriate set up and they bounce right back.

If set up improperly or sent at the wrong time they can die or get ill, but that's why it's important to choose a respected/responsible breeding and make sure you communicate well on shipping times. You don't want to ship until the weather is sufficient to ship on both ends.
>>
>>2330022
Hi, Momo.
>>
File: IMG_4734.jpg (135KB, 564x564px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4734.jpg
135KB, 564x564px
How are dart frogs? I want to make a vivarium with a few and im not sure where to start or what i need to know before i actually buy them. Currently i'm browsing some forums and trawling youtube seeing what other people are doing.
Also how is inbreeding not a problem with these if the people into dart frogs are so set on keeping their lines pure?
>>
>>2330119
offer food but keep any handling to a bare minimum for at least a week
UV and basking should be available for 12-14 hours just like a regular day/night cycle
>>
>>2330136
its fine.
How do you think animals get to pet stores in the first place?
>>
>>2330226
Awesome thank you. Is the occasional petting okay? Also I've been thinking of giving him salads every day, with buggies twice a week. Is that healthy?
>>
>>2330194

Check care sheets and so on. My understanding is they are fairly delicate and have narrow acceptable climate conditions in their tank.
>>
>>2330153

I have had four geckos shipped. It worked out fine. Breeder dropped them off at airport cargo around 8pm, they flew overnight and I picked them up around 10am the following day. So 14 hours + breeder's and my driving time, call it 16 hours all told.

They all settled in and resumed regular sleep/wake hours and eating within a week. Basically the same acclimation time I have had just bringing them home from a pet shop.
>>
>>2330253
how old is it? if its an adult that should be fine
no, no petting for at least a week to let it acclimate
>>
>>2330023
wait 2400$? FOR REAL?!?
>>
>>2330292

Yeah prices can get real crazy on animals that are difficult to breed in captivity. Gestation period is 8 months so that is one baby per year max, however it gets even more complex as babies should not be separated from their mother for several weeks (similar situation to puppies/kittens).

Not sure where you got $2400 from though. A cbb solomon islands pt skink generally will run $800+.
>>
>>2330307
he was probably looking at adults, theyre usually way more expensive
>>
File: 2154374834263.jpg (224KB, 698x1044px) Image search: [Google]
2154374834263.jpg
224KB, 698x1044px
>"Here's my leopard gecko/bearded dragon/ball python"
>>
>>2330338
Theres nothing wrong with common herps anon. I have an iguana, carpet python, ball python, and two anoles but im not some assmunch who needs to post pictures of them every thread.

Occasionally an anon who has some hots likes to post, he has quite a nice arabian horned viper also.
>>
>>2330338

It's cool seeing exotic herps in these threads but the majority of people should not be encouraged to get rare, exotic herps that are probably nabbed out of the wild.
>>
>>2330338
>he needs to stroke his dick to some rare, unique herp

I bet you don't even care about the animal, it's just a novelty to you
>>
File: stock-image-of-smug-ma_466.jpg (34KB, 466x349px) Image search: [Google]
stock-image-of-smug-ma_466.jpg
34KB, 466x349px
>>2330379
Coming from the kinda guy who abuses his babby's first lizard for daily petting sessions while keeping it on shit like newspaper because they are hardy enough to not die under such awful circumstances.
>>
>>2330384
You keep telling yourself that while you refer your animals by species label only and keep it until you get bored of it and dump it before it's life expectancy because it's not interesting anymore.

See, I can assume stuff too.
>>
File: can-stock-photo_csp16667163.jpg (17KB, 450x319px) Image search: [Google]
can-stock-photo_csp16667163.jpg
17KB, 450x319px
>>2330412
Shitlizard keepers sure are easily triggered by the cold truth.

Back to your cancerous facebook groups where you jerk each other off with your epic le snek snoot boop memes.
>>
>>2330413
>snakes and lizards are the only herps
>implying I keep either

K
>>
Is it a good idea to offer a small space for digging in a leopard gecko terrarium, or would the dust still be a problem? The rest of the tank would have tile as flooring

>>2330013
>Jump Start (formerly Hydrofarm) thermostat is a good basic and inexpensive thermostat for regulated ceramic heat emitters and under tank heaters (Amazon sells it)
>if you want something more advanced for temperature control, look at Herpstat products
What are the things that Jump Start can't do that require more advanced tools?
>>
>>2330277
I see that they only need 100% humidity without their tank rotting and feeding with calcium supplements
>>
>>2330291
He's 2, apparently almost 3 so I guess quite well into adulthood
>>
>>2330447

The jump start is a basic thermostat that you set for desired temperature, when the temperature reaches that number it will cut power to the heater, wait until temp drops two degrees, then restore power.

Nicer thermostats like the Herpstat ones will throttle the power going to the heater in order to keep the temp constant (instead of simple on/off control). You can also program in night time temperature decreases, control multiple tanks and heating devices with a single unit, things like that.
>>
>>2330447
Also, re leo digging bin, sure you can do that. Just choose a substrate that isn't dusty when dry. The dust isn't a problem for the gecko, just more work to clean for you. A sand and potting soil mix would work. Or coco fiber with some bark.chips or leaf litter on top.
>>
>>2330413
>tfw you're the autist in a group of autists
>>
>>2330342
You're a normie cuck, This thread is for people who appreciate the beauty of nature and all it's creatures
>>
>>2330136
Look at the reviews the dealer gets for how he ships
>>
>>2330775
>This thread is for people who appreciate the beauty of nature and all its creatures
>except normie tier herps REEEEE
>>
>>2330338

Here have something slightly different from what you consider run off the mill herp not as commonly bought as crested geckos but these guys are fun to keep really nice to handle and grow to a fair size. ( Just misted the enclosure so it look super wet).
He is nearly an adult since takes up to 2 years to fully mature.
>>
>>2330775
>thread is for people who appreciate all creatures
>FUCK LEOS AND BEARDIES AND BALLS
I agree that balls are pretty boring, but you don't have to be so retarded about it.
>>
File: smolfroge.jpg (181KB, 1694x953px) Image search: [Google]
smolfroge.jpg
181KB, 1694x953px
does anyone know what this is? found it in the state of georgia. I'm thinking some kind of cricket frog?
>>
File: frogeback.jpg (441KB, 1694x953px) Image search: [Google]
frogeback.jpg
441KB, 1694x953px
>>2330917
and here's a pic of it's back. it also had green on it's thighs, but I think most frogs do anyway.
>>
Anyone living with 0° humidity keeping things that want 60°+ humidity have any tips on maintaining humidity? I want some kind of herp but i dont want to get something and it get hurt because of where i live.
>>
>>2330943
>make a setup with little ventilation, just enough to prevent mold
>mist it
>put water bowl in hot side of terrarium
>use sphagnum moss, eco earth, or coco fiber as substrate
That's pretty much it
>>
>>2330943
Use substrate that holds humidity well
If the species wont be effected by it use an enclosure that has less ventilation
For my iguana since he has an entire room I have a radiator in it that I put a wet towel on twice a day, also helps keep the room 80-85 so if he decides to sit in the window half the day he wont get as cold
>>
>>2330968
>mold

Add a culture of springtails to further prevent that. Once the springtails get their population up you won't be seeing mold again.
>>
File: logo.png (5KB, 350x120px) Image search: [Google]
logo.png
5KB, 350x120px
https://www.thebiodude.com/collections/snake-bioactive-kit/products/ball-python-snake-bioactive-kit
Does anyone know if this is reputable? I've seen some videos and it makes a very pretty vivarium. I know I could probably save money by buying everything separate but this seems safer and more reliable
>>
>>2330988
That is extremely expensive for what you're getting. Springtail culture is about 10 bucks (you don't need both isopods and springtails, one or the other is fine). Substrate, also about 10 for a brick. Light fixture you will want to shop around a bit to find one that fits well with your tank. Tropical plants you buy at garden center for pretty cheap.

Cork bark is a bit of a luxury item to buy for retail prices and not needed for ball pythons. You want proper snake hides and a couple thick branches for occasional climbing.
>>
>>2330447
Hydrofarms/Jumpstarts lack failsafes like most Herpstats do, which means if the thermostat fails in the ON position, it stays in the ON position. Which can lead to severe burns, or death, just as if the heating element were not controlled. Herpstats will always fail in the OFF position (assuming something crazy doesn't happen).

Hydrofarms are also ON/OFF, which makes it harder to properly regulate temperatures. Most commonly-kept species won't mind this TOO much, but a more delicate species should have a more advanced tool. But, due to the fact Hydrofarms are not the most reliable thermostats (they have a fairly high failure rate for a thermostat), and because they have no fail safes, I only recommend one temporarily until you can get a Herpstat.
>>
>>2331003
http://www.spyderrobotics.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=32
expensive
>>
>>2331025
Yes, thank you for the information. I realize that it is, hence why I said Hydrofarms are good until you can get a Herpstat.

When an animal's life is in your hands, you really shouldn't be skimping on something like a thermostat that could cost them their life. A Hydrofarm would work max for a couple years, but the longer you have one the more you're pushing your luck that it will fail. I'm actually currently in the middle of transferring all my snakes to Herpstats. Got 6 heating elements on Herpstats so far, only 7 more to go.

If you have multiple snakes, it's cost-effective to get the higher-number models as they'll control more than one heating element while costing only a fraction what it would if you bought individual thermostats for each. The Herpstat 6 controls 6 heating elements for only like $440 last I checked, vs $834 if you bought 6 Herpstat 1's.

Seriously, anon, these thermostats are worth the money for the quality and safety that comes with them. Save up, do whatever, I just recommend eventually to get a Herpstat. Or at the very least a thermostat with equal guarantees. There are a few new ones out, but I don't know much about them. Vivarium Electronics are also good, but not much cheaper, do not have as many functions, and I think only go up to 2 or 3 heating elements at a time. I do not trust multiple heating elements on a single thermostat outlet myself, like some people do.
>>
>>2331003
>Hydrofarms are not the most reliable thermostats (they have a fairly high failure rate for a thermostat),

Got a source on that or are you just pulling that little factoid out of your ass? I checked. There is nothing that suggests they are unreliable.
>>
So im gonna need some help asap

A friend of mine gave me a red eared slider today and idk where he got it. He gave it to me because im the "animal guy". Anyway the turtle is about an inch big and as of right now its in me 60 gallon community tank since it has a heater. I can set up a 20 g long but i need to know what to get for subtrate, food, plants, etc
>>
>>2331068
Google caresheets. Return if you have followup questions.
>>
>>2331068
Gonna warn you now, it's either gonna need that 60g eventually for itself or if female, even bigger than that. Also expect it to eventually attempt to eat the inhabitants of the community tank as simply turtles eat fish. (they do fine without live food though. Just don't overdo pellets and offer veggies, it'll eat more veggies as it gets older)

Otherwise look at caresheets and it's pretty straightforward. Care wise, treat it as a large growing, messy tropical fish that is less sensitive to water parameters(as long as it's clean) since it breathes air, and hauls itself out to bask on something like any other herp (UV lighting required)

Substrate advice, barebottom is ideal as it's easier to clean but otherwise sand and large river stones are fine. Gravel a shit as they will try to eat it and cause impaction. Also live plants aren't that ideal unless you don't mind them being eaten (several kinds are good for turtles) Fake plants can be used for decorative purposes, just make sure it ain't cheap shit that falls apart easy
>>
>>2331064
They're a $30 thermostat, they're not going to be reliable. I've seen at least 2 recent Hydrofarm failures, one where the snake(s) was/were burned pretty bad, and another where the snake escaped harm but could easily have gone bad. And at least a couple other instances where the thermostat just quit working without any damages. All within the past 6 months.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?243531-Best-Thermostat-for-RHP

https://www.reddit.com/r/snakes/comments/5wthid/jumpstart_thermostat_failure_and_my_dumb_luck/

http://wheremyscalesslither.tumblr.com/post/138908709478/would-a-jump-start-hydrofarm-thermostat-be-strong

And those are just the ones I was able to find in a search. I've literally never heard of a single instance where a Herpstat failed, but at least with the Herpstat if it does, it will fail OFF AND the parts are replaceable so you won't have to buy a whole new thermostat unless the whole thing fries.

Now, I have seen cases where the probes go faulty, or the fuse boxes fail, but generally that causes the whole thing to shut off. If the probe is faulty, that's certainly a cause for concern, but if you keep a close eye on your collection it should be caught quickly without harm to your snakes (worst case maybe a regurge if the fluctuations are too great) and replacements are only a couple bucks and easily removable.

Now, I realize in general these thermostats are going to be reliable. I have 7 of them, some of which I've had 2 or 3 years. But, that doesn't change the fact I've seen more cases of failures in Hydrofarms
>>
>>2331071
>>2331080
Ok thanks the only thing im confused about is lighting is it uv or uva? Or something else entirely im dumb with herps so sorry
>>
>>2331089
UVB is the important one. They essentially need two lights; one for heat and one for UVB. (there are bulbs that can do both in that case you'd only need one lamp)
>>
What is /an/'s opinion about feeding your ball python while they're shedding? I know that it depends on the snake whether it actually gonna eat or not. But if it does eat, will digesting its food cause it more stress and give it a harder time shedding?
>>
>>2331110
If your humidity isn't high enough, it could cause a bad shed because the snake's body has to choose between providing moisture for digestion or moisture for shedding. If digestion wins, they get stuck shed or the shed could roll up in front of the bulge causing constriction that could harm them (very rare but I've seen several cases in several species although none in bps so far). If shedding wins, they could regurgitate.

Most of the time nothing will happen, but there is still a small chance.

I also don't feed because it's good for snakes to go a little extra time without food once in awhile. They aren't built to eat every week on the dot.
>>
>>2331081
>But, that doesn't change the fact I've seen more cases of failures in Hydrofarms

Personally seen does not equal "high failure rate". You don't actually know what the failure rate of these units is.
>>
>>2331081
>at least with the Herpstat if it does, it will fail OFF
there is no reason to assume that
>>
>>2331172
Neither do you, the failure rates aren't exactly public knowledge for either.

>>2331173
No reason except the device is specifically designed to do just that.
>>
File: IMG_3147.jpg (141KB, 640x1045px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3147.jpg
141KB, 640x1045px
Madness
http://www.barstoolsports.com/barstoolu/texas-dude-says-fuck-that-alligator-jumps-into-river-instantly-eaten-by-alligator/
>>
File: lilgator.jpg (74KB, 634x420px) Image search: [Google]
lilgator.jpg
74KB, 634x420px
>>2331327

Quality natural selection scenario.

>hold my beer
>>
File: 20170308_165212.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170308_165212.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Rate my bp enclosure, posted in previous thread
>>
>>2331435
wasent in last thread... what are you housing?
a leo or some other sand dwelling herp?
>>
>>2331452
Ok forget my previous post just noticed that
1. that aint sand...
2. I just noticed you said Bp for ball python
and lastly yes its actually a fairly nice set up you got going although it looks a little dry but im assuming just aint been misted for a while.
>>
>>2331470
Humidity in the pic was about 62% so it's fine don't worry. It just is because of the crappy quality
>>
File: 20170123_180357.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170123_180357.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>2331482
Older pic but one of my favorites
>>
>>2331482
Ah ok then that is fine how big is the ball python.
must be pretty small if not sub adult?
>>
>>2331060
I'm probably going to just stick with the herpstat 1 for now, and try to make a really nice vivarium for my one ball python
I'll grab it once I have enough money and a fogger, as of now I just spritz his enclosure on a schedule that keeps the humidity 55-60%
>>
>>2331502
She is 24 inches in length and around 230 grams. About 7-8 months old if I had to guess.
>>
I'm getting a blood python soon (a few months)
Does anyone have any good ideas on how to make a natural looking water fixture in a terrarium?
>>
>>2331093
What is uva for?
>>
>Be a kid.
>Want to own a turtle.
>Save money, acquire one.
>Name it Leonardo
>Years later discover my pet turtle Leonardo is, in fact, a girl.

>Spend years wondering what's her scientific species; whenever someone asks, she's just some swamp turtle.

>It turns Leonardo is a kinosternon arizonense.
>Legally, I'm neither allowed to capture or own one of her kind.
>Therefore, I'm legally obliged to turn Leonardo to authorities so they can handle her and eventually release her back to the swamp, or wherever she's coming from.

I really feel like shit now.

At one hand, I love her. She have been with me for a long, long time and I use to talk to her about random stuff, even if is just to say "hey, Leo, how are you today? Green as usual, I see". But at the other hand, I just discovered she, basically, have been abducted from her home and locked with me for all this time. And being honest, I'm a terrible owner.

So I have to say goodbye to my oldest pet, a beloved pet which literally watched me on my room doing all sort of weird shit while I was growing. Is the right thing to do, but still it fucking sucks.

/blog
>>
>>2331435
That's pretty nice. Is all that foliage fake? It's really well placed and makes the tank look pretty.
>>
>>2331637
uva I'm pretty sure is literally just visible light and is most commonly used for heating as well
>>
>>2331639
You're not going to have a game warden kick your door in over a turtle you've had for a decade.
>>
>>2331637
It's pretty much just the visible light to diurnal reptiles and allows them to just do things; without it can have psychological effects to their behavior and cause stress. But it's pretty much non issue as practically all basking lights and even most UVB lights emit. Hell, sunlight emits it too.
>>
>>2331640
Yes, I thought about a live setup but decided not to
>>
Never owned a reptile, I'm actually here because my mother is interested in reptiles and since I'm the only kid that comes by to help, I would probably be the main care taker.

So my mother has a room in her house where she either wants to put an aquarium or a reptile tank. Specifically she wanted bearded dragons or Rankin dragons for reptiles. I explained to her that she'd need a 40g at some point for them, but she believes that they would do just fine in a 10g, the whole "they only grow as big as their tank" meme. So I tried to talk her instead into anoles, suggesting an enclosure that made use of vertical space (granted I know nothing about anoles). However that kind of fucked me in the ass; when my mother was a kid, they used to sell anoles as chameleons. Now she found out what a chameleon is, and wants one of those instead.

My question is how much of an awful idea is it to get a chameleon when I only take care of it roughly every other day or every third day? I imagine anoles are much more hardy and I'll continue to try and talk her into that
>>
>>2331745
10g is too small even for anoles.

chameleons are hard to keep and high maintenance, she'd just kill it in a few weeks
>>
>>2331745
Very very very very bad idea
Chameleons need constant attention due to the weird lots of ventilation-lots of humidity combo
One of my friends has a chameleon, and the thing almost died just because it got slightly cold in the bottom of the enclosure. Had to spray him water for 20 minutes before it decided to wake up and move up
>>
>>2331745
No offense but your mom sounds normie as fuck and might end up killing anything that goes there period when you're not caring for it. (Especially an aquarium, I bet she'd want to cram 10-20 large active fish in a 10g )

And don't think about a chameleon, they are not beginner friendly at all.

Off chance that I'm wrong and if you do manage to be the prime care taker, try a Steppe runner, they're not that big (though might be better in a 20g) and not as nervous as anoles. Some can even be fairly tame to handle, provided you don't handle them too long at every single waking moment
>>
>>2331745
here, was banned for saying I'm my mother's kid lol. Apparently only people under 18 drive to their elderly mother's house to take care of her/the house.

>>2331747
>>2331748
I didn't know chameleons were that sensitive. Considering how damn expensive they are, I'll just have to tell her I can't care for it enough to make it live.

I looked into anoles and they are more complicated than I thought. Of course, the people at petsmart said they only live a couple years and require very little. In captivity they live nearly 6 years. So far I've only read that 10g is only big enough for one anole. I haven't found a reliable source that says how many anoles should be kept together other than 'multiple', or what size tank per additional anole.

>>2331751
When she had an aquarium she did exactly that, despite me explaining why the 1 inch per gallon is fucked
>>
File: bcognatusaz052.jpg (177KB, 800x576px) Image search: [Google]
bcognatusaz052.jpg
177KB, 800x576px
So, I haven't kept any frogs since I was 13 and it becane "uncool" and I'm wanting to get back into it. I used to catch these guys all the time, funny little toads.

What would be a good setup for one? They get about 5 inches long at the largest, and live in the midwestern United states.

How big of a terrarium would I need? Should I have a heatlamp? I live in North Dakota btw.

I want to set this up right, and not just have an empty box with a toad in it. I would appreciate the help a lot.
>>
File: greatplainstoad.jpg (36KB, 510x332px) Image search: [Google]
greatplainstoad.jpg
36KB, 510x332px
>>2331857
Oh, from what I could figure out they are the Great Plains Toad.
I'm just worried that they'll be too cold, but if I have a heat lamp it could dry them out.
>>
>>2331855
For anoles you'll want 20g for a pair and an additional 5g per additional anole.

>>2331857
>>2331859
Dont collect wild animals as pets.
>>
>>2331899
Could you suggest me a frog/toad to keep instead then?
>>
>>2331920
pacman frog
>>
>>2331921
Do they do anything, or do they just sit all day? I'd like something a little active.
>>
>>2331925
fire bellied toads
>>
File: Pacman-Frog.jpg (68KB, 629x599px) Image search: [Google]
Pacman-Frog.jpg
68KB, 629x599px
>>2331921
Not him, but Pacman frogs aren't very high maintenance, right? My kid wants a pet frog and I know I'll take care of it, but I work a lot.

They mostly just sit in their burrow until they eat?
>>
>>2331930
yes, but I don't know if a frog is really suited for a kid. I'd assume kids want to interact, while amphibians are hands-off pets
>>
>>2331931
We already have a dog, and he knows not to touch my fish anymore (RIP). What about white/green tree frogs? Are they relatively hardy/easy to take care of?
I read the caresheet for pacman frogs, and the fact that they bite worries me a little.
>>
>>2331933
All frogs will bite you if you irritate them
>>
File: 061.jpg (946KB, 1844x1383px) Image search: [Google]
061.jpg
946KB, 1844x1383px
>>2331933
My white's lunge at everything that moves, it's no big deal. I don't see how it's even possible to get unintenionally bitten by the pet rocks that pacmans are though.

Green tree frogs are also okay, mine croaked a ton.
>>
>>2331941
Oh, those are some beautiful frogs. Not even asking for my kid anymore, how do they keep? Do you need a mister or something?
>>
File: 20161123_050021.jpg (204KB, 1015x1349px) Image search: [Google]
20161123_050021.jpg
204KB, 1015x1349px
>>2331942
They are pretty easy. Temperature during the day should be about 24-29°C, so heating is required. I mist them twice a day, a bit in the morning, which leads to an average humidity of 60-70% and more in the evening for 80%+
>>
>>2331949
What are the dimensions of your tank?
Also, do they want others of their species around them? Do they interact with each other?
>>
File: 147.jpg (502KB, 1340x918px) Image search: [Google]
147.jpg
502KB, 1340x918px
>>2331958
My tank is a tall 75 gal for three.

They don't really care. Their only interaction is mistaking each other for food once again, exchanging a quick nab and the continue sitting around like turds on a twig.
>>
File: IMG_4665.jpg (52KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4665.jpg
52KB, 500x333px
So I'm thinking about making a hybrid tank. I would set up a Formicarium and have the outworld be the tank (ants) I would have half the tank with water and put in cherry shrimp and then 1 predator that would eat both of them but not entirely white out everything. I would use live plants and drop in feeder bugs for the ants. What do you guys think? Any suggestions?
>>
>>2331974
What size would you suggest for only one frog?
I don't want to go too hard for my first frogs and fuck up too hard.
>>
File: 186.jpg (122KB, 701x602px) Image search: [Google]
186.jpg
122KB, 701x602px
>>2331979
At least a 30 gal tall, better 35. They do get rather big and can make long leaps despite their fat appearance
>>
File: photo.jpg (114KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
114KB, 900x900px
>having a good day
>suddenly remember MacGyver exists
Why must he suffer like this?
>>
>>2331975
sounds cool, but a predator that won't wipe out the food just won't work in a living room tank.
>>
>>2332014
How big of a tank would I need? The predator I was thinking of would be like... a medium sized frog or something.
>>
>>2332026
I don't think such an artificial ecosystem that includes a predator is achievable at all.
>>
>>2332000
nice trips, I'll keep a look out for a tank. I might get 2 if I can find a larger tank, like a 40-55 gallon.
>>
File: 1485775165050.jpg (57KB, 467x519px) Image search: [Google]
1485775165050.jpg
57KB, 467x519px
>>2331327
stupid is as stupid does
>>
File: IMG_4656.jpg (245KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4656.jpg
245KB, 960x960px
>>2332031
Challenge accepted.
>>
>>2331925
>>2331926

Yes, a pacman frog will spend the majority of its time buried in the substrate up to it's eyes and sit. Watching. Waiting. Plotting amphibian overthrow of the earth.

Fire belly toads move around and do stuff, they are semi aquatic. Or you can go 100% aquatic and get an african clawed frog.
>>
>>2332097
How would I set a tank up for one? My LFS is selling them, and I want to give it a good enviroment.
>>
>>2331975
The ants will likely kill the "predator" if the colony gets large enough. I imagine they'd make short work of something like a frog.
>>
My beardies poo is starting to look grainy and I can see bit of chitin in it too.
Does this mean I should start switching over to a more veggie than insect diet? he's somewhere around 5 months old i believe
>>
>>2332225
Search 'pacman frog care'. There are lots of how to guides.
>>
>>2332013
I guess that's just what happens when a pet gets famous and the owners are more worried about their popularity than the health of their pet.
>>
>>2332329
Sorry, I meant the african clawed frog.
>>
>>2332447
Replace african clawed frog with pacman frog in your search, anon. They're common and there is lots of information on care/setup.
>>
>>2332013
one owner is chinese the other is a hillary shill. poor treatment is to be expected
>>
File: 91PE0DaoMeL._SL1500_.jpg (460KB, 1264x1500px) Image search: [Google]
91PE0DaoMeL._SL1500_.jpg
460KB, 1264x1500px
So, I want to set up a tree frog tank, how important is ventilation?
I have a spare 20 gallon High aquarium I'm not using, would that work? Or should I buy something like this with the vents in it?
>>
>>2332013
why is he so fucking fat
>>
>>2332621
People really enjoy seeing a reptile being treated as cute and being fed treats. Lots of treats.
Also I'm almost sure he has some kind of skin issue, he should have waaay more white on him.
>>
File: tinc_blue_sipaliwini3.jpg (61KB, 600x472px) Image search: [Google]
tinc_blue_sipaliwini3.jpg
61KB, 600x472px
Someone's selling this 4 froglets and a tank for $160, $130 if I order them fruitflies.
Should I do it? I've never had a frog before.
>>
>>2332621
>majority of their videos are feeding him random things

you tell me
>>
I adopted a 4 year old corn snake about two months ago.

She was feeding fine for the first two weeks but then she stopped. She hasn't eaten in like almost 20 days~ now. When I give her food she just ignores it.

I've tried giving her the mouse in her vivarium and in a feeding box. Both times she just ignores it completely.

What do I do??? She's still drinking water fine and seems pretty active and friendly (climbing on trees).

Her eyes are red and no signs of shedding.

Help please??
>>
>>2332624
>>2332628
i'd never even heard of this channel before
what the fuck is wrong with people
>>
>>2332627
Sounds pretty good to me depending on the size of the tank and the stuff it comes with. Im wanting some dart frogs but i havnt decided what kind yet, leaning towards some kind of bronze+X.
>>
>>2332633
It actually started out being educational and showcasing proper care (on instagram and tumblr, plus youtube), but then it all started going downhill
I wish I could kidnap MacGyver and give him the care he needs tbqh

>>2332627
What does it include, anon?
>>
>>2332616

A 20g high with screen top will allow sufficient airflow. For high humidity species you often have to block those front ports on exo tanks because they cause too much ventilation and drop your humidity below acceptable range.
>>
>>2332629
Wait one more week, don't offer food during that time, then try again. While it is unusual for a corn to go on hunger strike, it won't hurt them to do so.

If after your next feeding attempt one week from now fails, consider bringing a stool sample to vet for a fecal exam to see if there is anything wrong. You don't necessarily have to bring the snake along.

I assume you haven't noticed any mites?
>>
>>2332729
I don't have all the details right now, but a planted cage. She offered to lower the price if I bought them fruitflies to eat, which I think is a good sign that she cares for her frogs.
>>
File: Untitled.png (3MB, 1685x1313px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
3MB, 1685x1313px
ehm, guys?
shes shedding right? nothing wrong with it, right?
I know that gecko get dark when they are stressed, and white when they are shedding.
This happened for the first time I have her (about a month).
>>
>>2332926
and now shes green again, and I dont think she shed her skin.
>>
>>2332941
Geckos tend to eat their shed so theres a good chance it just shed. Also the pic looks a lot like a gecko mid shed. Mine is shedding and looks exactly like that. Dont worry about it bud.
>>
File: IMG_20170302_003940.jpg (62KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170302_003940.jpg
62KB, 720x960px
Are leachies good first reptiles?
>>
>go to LPS to pick up new UV lamp for cherry-head
>their big tank of beardies has 3 in it currently
>early in the morning, they just opened
>one of the beardies is still asleep, flattened out on a rock
>the other 2 are stacked ontop of eachother, only the bottom is awake and seems displeased at its upper neighbor
what did we do to deserve beardies
>>
>>2333017
no
>>
>>2333070

Why not? They have the same lighting an heating requirements of a crested (none), eat prepared food, and do fine in the same size tank as cresteds if kept singly.

The only downsides are they're expensive and slightly more bitey
>>
>>2333110
Haha, no you definitely need a larger tank for a leachie. 18x18x36 minimum for an adult.

Otherwise yes their care is the same as cresteds.
>>
>>2333110
They eat a lot too
Just get a crested gecko or a garg
>>
File: Capture16.png (118KB, 391x537px) Image search: [Google]
Capture16.png
118KB, 391x537px
>>2333110
>a lizard easily three times or more the size of a crestie
>kept in the same size tank
>>
For those of you that have pet snakes do you ever kiss them or have long makeout sessions with them?

Also does your snake let you finger there throat or even thought about trying?
>>
>>2333579
No
>>
>>2333618
why, as long as you're not hurting the snake or yourself why wouldn't you try it?
>>
>>2333017
Leachie is driving.
>>
File: IMG_2019.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2019.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I found a bunch of gecko eggs while tearing a shed down. Anything I need to do to keep them alive? Not sure what kind of gecko, but i've broken one open by accident before and it was definitely a gecko.
>>
>>2333961

Species depends where you live. I would just cover them in leaf litter and leave them where they are. In order to hatch geckos under captive conditions you need to use an incubator. Since this is a local species, it's better to just leave them outside and hope for the best.
>>
>>2333964
How about leaving the cage outside and checking on them daily? Googled it and it's a mediterranean house gecko. Not native to where I live, but they're here.
>>
>>2333983
You'll want them buried in similar conditions to where you found them. Their chance of success of surviving outside are slim if the eggs are visibly exposed.

Unless you really are set on making an ideal incubation box, nature will ultimately do it better than you.

Is this in Florida or California or something.
>>
>>2333995
I found them nestled between boards and shit in an old shed. I've kept them covered with leaves since then. They've also been kept outside. How about just popping the lid open and stashing it outside somewhere? Can't see that going wrong, and I feel like they'd be a bit more protected if they were at less risk of being eaten. But I agree that nature is gonna do way better than I am, though.

I'm in central FL, by the way.
>>
>>2333961
just keep them outside but out of direct sunlight/weather and keep them covered up
could put them inside of a cookie tin with the lid off and keep an eye on them

Not sure about gecko eggs but I know snake eggs can be smothered by putting them wrong because they make tiny air holes and shifting them can cover the hole so I would look into it
>>
File: IMG_3930.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3930.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
So I got my year and a half old BP to finally break a two month long fast Friday after I redid her humidity hide and switched the UTH back on. However when I checked back today (Sunday), I noticed she had a bit of pink on her underside. I'm not sure if this is a burn or if she's gearing up for a shed.

I've already unplugged the UTH (surface substrate temp read 95F) but I'm not sure how to go about treatment if this is an actual burn, if it is one. Also, can someone reccomend a thermostat that could connect to the UTH and shut it off once it hits a certain temperature? I keep hearing them get mentioned l, but I can't seem to find them when I look.
>>
File: IMG_3934.jpg (998KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3934.jpg
998KB, 3264x2448px
>>2334096
Here's a slightly better shot in the light
>>
>>2334097
>>2334096
Snakes burnt.
It probably got too deep into the substrate where it was hotter
>>
>>2334111
Her humidity hid (plastic tub lined with sphagnum moss) was placed over the same part of the cage the UTH is under and has mostly camped out in it over the weekend. There was a layer of cypress mulch between the tub and the glass, but I guess that wasn't enough, or does it needs to not be on the warm side of the cage altogether?
>>
>>2334146
Just tempcheck the area
>>
Asking for Beardie advice.

I got a bearded dragon a couple of weeks ago, and ever since I got him, his belly has been grey with almost leopard looking spots on it. No matter what I do, the spots are still there. Is it just getting used to a new home or is it something I should get checked out?
>>
>>2334096
Herpstat will be the best, but Hydrofarm/JumpStart is a good temporary one.

Keep in mind, if you're already stuck the stick side to the enclosure, you will have to remove it and buy a new one to use a thermostat. Thermostats do best when the probe is sandwiched in between the UTH and the bottom of the enclosure. If you put it inside, you open it up to false readings from the snake laying on it, shitting/pissing on it, etc.

Make sure when you're setting up the thermostat you're measuring the surface temp UNDER the bedding and set the thermostat accordingly. The temperature on top of the bedding is irrelevant, and if you set the thermostat to aim for 90F on top of the bedding you could still get 100+ temps under the bedding. Snakes can and will move aside bedding or burrow if they need any additional warmth.

That said, the belly doesn't look burned, but give it a day or two and if the color drastically changes then you know it's a burn. It just looks like pre-shed pinkness to me.
>>
File: enjoyyourshit.png (156KB, 657x819px) Image search: [Google]
enjoyyourshit.png
156KB, 657x819px
I just made a splurge purchase for my already spoiled rotten leopard geck. I've wanted to get her some of these things for a while now and she's almost ran out of supplements so I figured now was a good time.

Anybody own these hides and have pictures or opinions on them?
>>
>>2334189
belly spots are generally a sign of stress
could be temperature, humidity, something in the tank he doesnt like, something he can see from the tank he doesnt like, still settling in

you're just going to have to check everything
>>
>snake in shed
>try to feed it
>ignores rat
>have to handle rat again
>bites me
always a goddamn complication now i have to call my doctor for an unscheduled consult on what i need to do and take to not die from rat aids.
>>
File: 1488588547771.png (14KB, 232x265px) Image search: [Google]
1488588547771.png
14KB, 232x265px
>>2334286
>feeding your snake mid-shed
>giving it live prey
>>
File: 20170313_111047.jpg (236KB, 956x1272px) Image search: [Google]
20170313_111047.jpg
236KB, 956x1272px
I have a bit of a problem /herp/

My leopard gecko has recently decided that he's only interested in wax worms. I've had him for 11 years, since he was a baby, and he's been eating crickets for the entire time, but now he doesn't seem interested in chasing them down. Yesterday, I put a mealworm in front of him, and he looked confused and eventually ate it, but then when I placed a second one in front of him he refused it. On the other hand, he'll eat waxworms pretty much nonstop.

I know that wax worms aren't good for them, but if I only add crickets into his tank, he won't eat them, even if they're there for days. Exclusively eating wax worms seem to be affecting the consistency of his stools, and sometimes I'll find partially undigested ones in there.

He's already lost quite a bit of weight, since I keep witholding waxworms in the hope that he'll get over them. I feel awful if I just keep starving him. But I don't know what else I can do. Pic related is him just ignoring a cricket right in front of him.
>>
>>2334357
You shouldn't have given him any waxworms to begin with
>>
>>2334377
For what it's worth, I've been giving them to him a couple of times a month for years, and he's had no problem eating them in addition to crickets. The 'addiction' to them has only come up in the past month or two.
>>
File: 1489013488343.jpg (106KB, 1216x1188px) Image search: [Google]
1489013488343.jpg
106KB, 1216x1188px
>>2334331
I'm curious, I've never owned a snake or any type of reptile before. What could he feed his snake in place of live prey?
>>
>>2334427
frozen mice
>>
>>2334286
I've never owned a snake in my life and I know you're retarded. You deserved it.
Also, rats are notorious for being docile and great pets for children that aren't competent enough to handle other animals without getting bit. How the fuck were you handling it to make it bite?
>>
>>2334435
The rat bit him
Feed rats are usually not well tempered
>>
>>2334427
Basically the same animal but dead, humanely euthanized beforehand
>>
>>2334435
I worked for a petsmart and half of our rats we got in were fairly ill tempered.
Got bit by 3 of them on my first day when the manager was having a laugh and had me clean the cages and didnt warn me the current ones were all fuckers. I put my hand in and they came up to sniff it, I was thinking they would be chill and wouldnt fuss about being picked up like the smaller hamsters were but fuck no they all bit me
>>
>>2334427
Almost all captive snakes should be fed pre killed frozen rodents (you buy them frozen) if at all possible. When yoy see people talking about live feeding in this thread it means they didn't do the research beforehand and are shit owners.

No captive bred baby snake will be sold from a any reputable store or breeder if it hasn't successfully taken at least two or three meals of frozen thawed rodent prior.
>>
so ive got a light for my res turtle that provides uva, uvb, light, and heat is it enough if i just hang it in the middle to cover the whole tank or just one side?
>>
>>2334521
Though there are some very picky eaters that are just too stubborn to eat thawed/frozen prey, most commonly you see ball pythons doing this
>>
>>2334550
you hang it over the basking spot
>>
>>2334438
I've never met a particularly mean feeder rat or pet store rat, even though i've met and owned dozens of them. I met a rat that had been thrown in with a snake several times and was "ridiculously aggressive" that would "latch onto you if you touch it" and it curled up in my lap and went to sleep when I held it. I seriously think people just don't know how to handle them -- especially the sort who like to live feed when it isn't necessary. Honestly, it's almost ALWAYS the human's fault when an animal bites. People won't admit it because they want to believe they're a victim of a savage mauling, but it's really almost always due to human error whether it's a snake, a rat, a dog or a cat. It's always "THE DOG JUST ATTACKED ME [...after I petted him as he displayed clear signs of discomfort and fear]!!!" or "That snake's an asshole, he's just an aggressive animal!! He bit me for no reason [because I didn't wash my hands after I handled a rodent]!" etc etc.
>>
>>2334550
doesn't matter where as long as it's over where the basking spot is and it can climb out of the water completely to dry off.
>>
>>2333961
I live in GA and I wish i could find some qt house geckos
>>
I use to be pretty big into Frogs, Had all kinds of Darts, Treefrogs and Toads.
>>
File: IMG_20170307_192145_579.jpg (178KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170307_192145_579.jpg
178KB, 540x540px
>>2333996
I'm in CFL also and these little guys are all over my house. Same species? Apologies for quality, my phone is a potato and they move so damn quickly I can never get close enough
>>
>>2334331
Feeding in shed can be done if the animal is willing to eat. Mine rarely refuse a meal even in full blue phase. I'll agree that feeding live is fucktarded though, especially when your snake is at its most vulnerable.
>>
I don't like trump, but the office seems to be very "get rid of regulations to help business" right now.

Why the hell isn't everyone flooding them to try to get rid of the lacy act snake banning shit? This might actually be a good opportunity.
>>
>>2334864
I like him but I agree he needs to stay far the fuck away from the endangered species listings but you have a good point

Especially if the viewpoint that it was harming peoples business that they can no longer ship past state lines anymore.
>>
>>2334870
*was being pushed
>>
>>2334597
All snakes can be switched, it's just most people aren't willing to put in the work if a snake proves to be more difficult than offering f/t every once in awhile until it takes it.

Sometimes it can take years to switch them, and you have to do literally anything off-the-wall you could possibly think of. Sometimes braining, hot spots, and leaving it in the enclosure overnight just simply aren't enough.

>>2334644
Trust me, they exist. Pet store feeders generally are not bred for disposition. My first ever male breeder rat was extremely aggressive, always biting us and even ended up killing his mate in a fit of aggression. He bit her until she died. I was young and dumb and thought although he bit us he wouldn't do that to another rat. I was wrong (and know better now). Luckily, most of their offspring were sweethearts, but I won't make the mistake of keeping aggressive rats in the future.

>>2334864
Because the Lacey Act doesn't actually ban anything? And that's what we've got USARK for. The presidential cabinet doesn't really have time to focus on things like that, that's more for specialized organizations, and the Trump presidency is more focused on the 1% billionaire businesses not small businesses like what 99% of the reptile industry is.
>>
>>2334864
Because its a good thing
>>
Is mouth rot something I can treat at home without antibiotics?

My leopard gecko had a small amount of brown crusting on her lip last night (I check her often so I feel I must have detected it fairly early). I feel awful because I'd just take her to the vet but I literally just spent $300 on my dog's yearly exam, vacs, and blood recheck so my gecko will probably have to wait until Friday if I do have to take her to the vet.

I've been doing the 50/50 water and hydrogen peroxide on her lip but I really wanted to know what you guys think. Vet? No vet? How can I treat her or does she definitely need antibiotics?
>>
File: 20170314_172127.jpg (3MB, 2686x1519px) Image search: [Google]
20170314_172127.jpg
3MB, 2686x1519px
Usually my Pacman frog doesn't stay in his water dish too long. Last night, however, I dug him out of the dirt to check on him and put him in his water dush. He usually soaks in there and gets out within ten minutes. However, he stayed in there all night last night and through the morning, and was still chilling in there when I left for work. Any idea why? I know husband substrate is fine, I just switched from organic unfertilized potting soil to eco earth because it has less big chunks and keeps humidity better. I switched a little over a week ago and he hasn't cared. Any reasons why he might be staying in there? I'm sure it's nothing but figured I'd ask anyway
>>
Alright, can I panic yet? I got my pacman frog three weeks ago and he wouldn't eat, so I did as one anon suggested and started putting mealworms in a dish for him at night. Every morning a couple worms would be gone and a couple would still be in the dish, but today I lifted up the dish to clean it and there were worms underneath it. I now suspect that maybe the worms were crawling out instead of getting eaten. In addition, I dug up the frog (he is ALWAYS under his substrate, I never see him) and not only is he the same size as he was three weeks ago, but he looked skinnier and seemed lethargic. What do I do? I can't even get him to open his mouth to force feed him and he seems to be wasting away.
>>
File: IMG_3947.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3947.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2334257
Went ahead and ordered the hydrofarm, even if it wasn't a burn, scorching my hand on the glass was enough to put the fear in me.

Here's an update shot, hasn't gotten darker or blistered so I want to think you were correct in the assumption she's just gearing up for a shed (her last was in 2016 if I recall)
>>
File: SAM_2028.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_2028.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2330016
Someone call for a Panoptes?!
>>
File: kawaiilizard.jpg (173KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
kawaiilizard.jpg
173KB, 1080x1080px
>>
>>2335037
You sure it's mouth rot?

>>2335325

Vet.
>>
>>2335159
ambient humidity in the right range? Otherwise I dunno. Could just be shedding.
>>
>>2335525
No, I'm not sure what it is. I suspect that it could be an injury from the harsh carapace of the larger mealworms she ate recently? She had been off food for a while but seemingly active and healthy, I figured just ovulating or shedding. About three days ago she ate two worms and now she suddenly has this scab.

Either way I'll be switching to phoenix worms instead and bought some flavorless listerine and H2O2 to to try and treat with.
>>
File: 20170309_165014.jpg (237KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170309_165014.jpg
237KB, 1920x1080px
I'm getting a blood python in a month.
Anyone have any tips? My snake experience is all ball pythons and a boa constrictor

Pic is the enclosure so far. I'm putting some foam on the back and contact paper on the sides
>>
What's a good feeder snake species for a king cobra?
>>
>>2335791
Why do you want a feeder snake?
>>
>>2335821
I hear it's best for the morale of king cobras to eat other snakes.
>>
File: 6241482539_5070fee4b4_b.jpg (621KB, 1024x684px) Image search: [Google]
6241482539_5070fee4b4_b.jpg
621KB, 1024x684px
>>2335159

Maybe he feels so unclean after being touched by you he feels the need to stay and soak off the human?
>>
>>2335839
Its not.
Get it feeding on rats
>>
>>2335850
Okay, thanks.
>>
>>2335850
It's perfectly fine to feed cobras snakes, it's their natural diet and that's what their body is geared towards. Feeding a species that does not naturally eat rodents (or at least rodents don't make up a large portion of their diet), is actually unhealthy and can lead to obesity very quickly. I'm not sure how cobras' metabolisms compare to other reptile-eating species, but some more delicate species can die within weeks or months from eating a rodent-only diet.

Even if they can survive their whole lives on rodents, if that anon wants to feed their cobra snakes, there's nothing wrong with that, and I'd argue it would be better so long as they're willing to do so.
>>
File: DSC_3099.jpg (1MB, 3229x2553px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_3099.jpg
1MB, 3229x2553px
hey /herp/ I have a question about this gek and specifically his tail. It was like this when I first got him a year ago from a family that wasn't really taking good care of him. Until recently I thought he was just regrowing his tail but after looking a pics of regrown tails I realized it looks nothing like it at all and I cant find any other geks with similar looking tails.

Anyone here know what it is/what might have happened?
>>
>>2336047
Kings also primarily ear snakes and other reptiles.
King cobras and kingsnakes both take fine to a rodent diet. King cobras dont subsist on snakes, they subsist on anything that moves.

>>2336066
Looks like he had a bad shed once and lost part of his tail
>>
>>2336066
Looks like partial tail loss and then regen. My guess is stuck shed constricted on the last inch or so, that bit lost circulation, dropped off, healed kinda funny. Looks healthy though so no worries.
>>
File: DSC_3077 (2).jpg (1MB, 3640x2513px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_3077 (2).jpg
1MB, 3640x2513px
>>2336074
>>2336076
bad sheds are really that dangerous aren't they.
Thanks for your replies, this solves a mystery for me.
have cute gek
>>
Whats the best place to but reptiles online?
I hear horror stories about every place that sells them
>>
>>2336089
use Fauna Classified's Board of Inquiry
its a place for people to report dealings with sellers
if you find an animal you like look them up, if they aren't in there then its a gamble
>>
>>2336074
Still, their bodies are built to digest snakes, so instead of saying to feed their cobra only rats, you could say it's not necessary to have them eating only snakes. Again, if that anon wants to feed snakes, it's perfectly fine for them to feed snakes. Even if the cobra can subsist just fine on rodents, feeding a snake-eating snake snakes isn't the end of the world. Or at the very least, a mixed diet of rodents and snakes.
>>
>>2336130
This, it's also kinder since rats are more intelligent than snakes.
>>
>>2336087
It's usually more than just the one poor shed. When tail tips and toes fall off it's most often a case of multiple bad sheds with the skin getting stuck in the same spot over and over, building up on layers.
>>
>>2336130
>Still, their bodies are built to digest snakes
Wrong. Their body is meant to digest anything that moves. Cobras on rats do better than ones on a reptile based diet. Rats have more protein and more nutritious.
A mixed diet is a bad choice for snakes. It causes feed issues when the animal decides it would prefer to only eat one thing and it usually decides to eat the worse one.
I dont think you know anything about cobras or reptiles in general.

>>2336170
Retard spotted
If you hate snakes so much than just keep rats instead
>>
>>2336170
>mammalfags
>>
>>2336247
>>2336269
>abloobloobloobloo facts are hard to deal with in my mammal brain let me LARP and pretend I'm not a human like a fucking furfag XD
>>
>>2330338

>not personally travelling into the forgotten jungles of Cambodia to find never before seen herp species only to take them home and toss them into a Tupperware box with toilet paper just because ''muh novelty collection animal'', ''muh morphs'', ''muh breeding''

Utter fucking pleb.

>>2330013

Question generally for herps though in my particular case for a ball python: Since I'm a NEET and stay up to around 6 in the morning, should I cover the enclosure with a blanket or something during night-time hours? Or would it be better to instead put the enclosure in a room that has normal daylight times?
>>
>>2336270
You're the one crying because someone found an actual use for a pest species instead of breeding snakes to give his cobra a worse life with.
>>
>>2336170
What do you feed the feeder snakes?
>>
>>2336352
Other snakes obviously
>>
>>2336333
I don't think it would be a problem as long as the room isn't brightly lit. It isn't always pitch black outside at night anyway.
>>
>>2336270
>furfag
>says the mammalfag
>>
>>2336247
A mixed diet is not a bad choice for snakes, very few snakes will have a feeding preference. A mixed diet means the snake will get more or less of certain nutrients certain prey might have/not have. For example, rodents are high in fat so feeding a reptile would mean they're getting less fat.

My boas readily switch between rats and rabbits. My garters readily switch between rats, mice, fish, and earthworms. My retic readily switches between rats and rabbits. And other than my ball python, none of my other snakes have ever given me problems switching to rats when the time came.

Although the nutritional chart Rodent Pro has on their website does not have the protein in snakes specifically, lizards are quoted as having 67.4% for anoles specifically, vs 61.8% for rats at the highest protein level. So the protein bit is false.
>>
>>2336444
This. My anacondas diet is pigs, with chickens and fish mixed in once in a while. (not terribly often because its messier)
>>
>>2336353
Circle of life.
>>
File: 002.jpg (87KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
002.jpg
87KB, 800x600px
I'm rescuing a really underweight adult ball python this sunday. It hasn't eaten in a month now, and only eats once every other month apparently.
I'm thinking of trying to feed him, and if he refuses, to syringe feed him something but I'm not sure what. I've read about using scrambled and warmed egg with calcium added to it but I'm not sure.

Pic isnt the snake, but it is a mojave.
>>
>>2336333
Doesn't really matter what kind of schedule they're on desu. as long as it's consistent.
>>
>>2336518
Not sure why desu autocorrected to
>desu
>>
File: desu.png (442KB, 600x458px) Image search: [Google]
desu.png
442KB, 600x458px
>>2336518
>>2336519
>>
>>2336515

Check out viperkeeper on youtube. He syringe feeds on occasion. I want to say he uses chicken flavoured baby feed but not completely sure i'm remembering that right.
>>
>>2336538
I read that too.
I'm worried since this is a 4 and a half foot ball python, not a baby anything.
>>
>>2336543
>>2336515
I wouldn't really go around feeding them random stuff unless a vet tells you to. Just stick to feeding it whole prey on a schedule, a small rat weekly is your best bet if it will take it.

Get the snake in, give it a week or two to settle in (yes even though it's underweight). If you don't do that, you're just going to create more problems for you and the snake.

When it's settled in, try it on a small rat. If he refuses, give him another week and try another small rat. If he continues to refuse, a combination of live and f/t rats/mice would be a good idea. If you can get ahold of African soft furs, that could really kickstart his eating. The only downfall is ASF eaters almost never switch back to rats, they're more addictive than mice.

As long as you can get the snake eating on a regular schedule, it will come around with time.

If it doesn't look like this, no drastic measures need to be taken. Even this snake rebounded quickly once on whole prey regularly iirc.
>>
File: 20161013_161849(1).jpg (1MB, 1152x2048px) Image search: [Google]
20161013_161849(1).jpg
1MB, 1152x2048px
>>2336553
I'm preparing for the absolute worst case scenario. I haven't seen this snake in 6 months and it was underweight then.
I don't have an issue stocking african soft furs since I plan to order some rats online for my boa anyways.

I think the biggest issue is husbandry. It's also had shedding issues and its only heat source is a red light.
I do pretty elaborate planted enclosures for my snakes, so I'm gonna convert the blood python enclosure I made into a ball python enclosure. I think live plants and good substrate should solve the humidity issues and make it feel more secure along with using a weaker lamp and a heat pad.

Heres an older photo of my boa constrictor.
>>
>>2335690
What size is that aquarium blood pythons get fairly large pretty quick anon.
The plants should help with humidity which blood pythons need a bit of though I would have done a drainage layer with not as thick dirt
>>
>>2336515
how underweight?
once every other month isnt that bad as long as its a fairly big meal
>>
>>2336588
It was eating small rats every other month at most.
His spine was pretty noticeable. I made the old owner one of the fancy enclosures I do about 6 months ago, for free, but he didn't maintain it at all. The snake took food for a few weeks straight then, but then stopped after he didnt ever maintain the ecosystem in it.

>>2336586
Its 40 breeder. I intended for it to be a temporary enclosure for a year or so, but now I'm putting a rescued ball python in it. Once I have the ball rehabbed I'll probably keep it, then just get the adult sized enclosure for my future blood python.
>>
what kind of turtle is this
>>
>>2336593
looks like an African Sideneck
>>
File: Wakka_Menu.jpg (52KB, 338x660px) Image search: [Google]
Wakka_Menu.jpg
52KB, 338x660px
>>2336594
thanks anon
>>
>>2336557
The shedding issues should clear up once it has access to proper humidity. It may take one or two shed cycles.

A red light isn't necessarily a bad heat source when set up correctly, but it's best to only have it on 12 hours a day. Since it's the snake's only heat source, that's likely not the case here.

You can either switch him to a CHE (you'll have to buy a lamp with a ceramic base), or get heat tape/pad to use during the night when the lamp is off. Just a generic timer will keep the light on a cycle.

You don't necessarily have to get a lower wattage bulb, the key is restricting air flow to keep humidity up. If possible, you'd want to block off the entire top except for where the bulb is (and potentially the dome). You do want higher humidity but you don't want to sacrifice heat for it.

If you're doing planted enclosures, I'm curious as to how you're using heat pads with them? Is there a way for the snake to burrow down to the heat pad? (Most have a drainage layer, but not all, is why I'm asking.)
>>
>>2336661
I do a weird system where I make draining cork planters for anything that needs the drainage so I can avoid the drainage layer entirely.
I already have a CHE on the enclosure I'm putting it in. I use those for ambient temps, and the heat pad for actual warmth.
I already have the lights set on the same timer as my boas lights not. I've got it set up like a slightly hotter version of my boas house. It's hotspot is at about 95 and the humidity is floating at about 65%-70% with the screen lid uncovered.
I also put a UVB light on there
>>
is there any problem with giving a snake pre-killed mice? as in, they were smacked on the desk and died, and now I give them to her?

my kenyan sand boa won't eat frozen mice I've tried everything she will only eat fresh killed or live
>>
>>2336838
Are you sure you're heating the frozen mice enough?
You should learn how to quickly and properly kill a mouse by snapping its neck if you're going for freshly killed prey, at least to be merciful.

Cute snake anon, super jelly. Been meaning to get a kenyan for a while now.
>>
>>2335037
>>2335541
Update for my gecko: I used the H2O2 and Listerine for a couple of days and today the yellowish brown gunk fell off. I'm thinking it may have just been carapace stuck in her teeth after all. The area in and around her mouth isn't swollen or red so I consider this a good sign. If anything changes I'll be taking her to the vet.

Have a cute picture of her from a few weeks ago in celebration.
>>
>>2336838
Yeah, theres no issues with that.
It's a good way to get them started on frozen food too.
>>
File: IMG_20170317_162742.jpg (3MB, 4640x3480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170317_162742.jpg
3MB, 4640x3480px
It's been three or four weeks and my recently adopted 4yo corn snake still isn't eating

She just doesn't seem to have any interest in the food

What do I do??? She hasn't pooped in about that time either

Apart from that everything else seems normal? She's drinking water, climbing, still very friendly and active...
>>
>>2336873
Weight her. If she loses weight, take her to the vet. Otherwise, it may be related to her tank setup, maybe something bothers her.
What are your temps? How's the humidity? What about the hides and tank deco?
If everything seems fine, try heating the feeders in chicken broth water, corns love the smell
>>
>>2332605
Kek
>>
File: anole.jpg (383KB, 700x1244px) Image search: [Google]
anole.jpg
383KB, 700x1244px
>>2336873
looks like your aquarium you have it in is open on all sides
try covering the back+2 sides with cardboard/construction paper or drape a towel over it when you feed the snake could be feeling exposed when its out
My anole stopped hiding and bolting out of sight as soon as I entered room once I put up some on her enclosure
>>
File: Sallymander.jpg (103KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
Sallymander.jpg
103KB, 540x960px
Rate my salamander tank. Yes, those are mushrooms that I got to grow in the back. The green patch up front is liverwort that I am trying to get established.
>>
>>2337007
it looks cool, but I don't know how deep that water is and what kind of salamander it is
>>
>>2337015
Ambystoma gracile. Northwestern salamander. The water is 3-4 inches deep, and he is about 6 inches long. He can stand up in the water, and takes regular baths. I also have multiple items in the water that act as ramps. He is fully terrestrial though.
He was raised from an aquatic larvae in the same bin.
>>
I got a hatchling ball python, my first ever reptile, from a slightly dodgy breeder back in October.
He fairly quickly developed signs of an RI and we've been battling it with the vet ever since but recently it's been causing mucus to develop in the roof of his mouth as opposed to his throat.
I can't find anything about this online, everywhere talks about the mucus being in the back of the throat.
The vet and myself are fairly sure it's not mouth rot.

He's being Nebulised twice a day with f10 solution, anti biotic injunctions every 3 days, has had a course of oral baytril a while ago. Swap samples were taken and sent off so the antibiotics should be the correct type.
All of the parameters in his vivarium are correct, I've just no idea why it's not shifting and about the mucus, any advice?
>>
>>2337029
Reading online about this, it seems like it's just the RI persisting
>>
>>2336445
>pigs
Wot
>>
>>2337052
A green anaconda can take a medium sized pig pretty easily.
>>
What do snakes *do*?

Do they feel love?
>>
>>2337088
Reptile brains dont produce oxytocin, so no.
They can feel more at ease around the familiar scent of their owner and enjoy how warm humans are though
>>
>>2337092
Are humans particularly warm?
>>
>>2337094
Yes
>>
>>2330024
What is that? Some kind of boa? Morph?
>>
>>2337104
Check the filename
It's a solomon island ground boa
>>
>>2337094
External skin temp for humans in relaxed state hovers around 90-92 F. That is basking temp for many snakes and lizards.
>>
>>2337088
like most animals they just *are*
with few exceptions, an animals primary function is to not die long enough to pass its genes on to another generation
>>
>>2330013
Hey guys, I'm looking for a moderately large snake (5-6 ft) of a somewhat exotic type, but I'm having trouble finding a place to look around. Could you guys give me ideas or suggestions/a place to figure out what kind of snake I want to get?
>>
>>2337583
I say get a male boa of a smaller locality
>>
>>2337583
if you have any reptile shows in your area go to those
otherwise look around on FC and Kingsnake, theyre in the OP
>>
>>2337644
>>2337647
Nice, thanks bros
>>
File: 20170316_212830.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170316_212830.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
My Merauke Blue tongue after shed looking nice.
>>
File: tmp_21956-woma8-1273711414.jpg (55KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_21956-woma8-1273711414.jpg
55KB, 600x450px
>>2337583
Woma python!
>>
How do you keep wood from molding in your setup?
I was thinking of creating a bioactive set up for one pf my snakes, but was worried about possible molding because of the humidity.
>>
>>2337701
AFAIK, if you keep springtails in the tank they'll eat the mold
>>
Suggestions on UTH brands that are not zoo med?

I have a Jump Start thermostat regulating my current one but the temps fluctuate between 90-96 constantly and barely maintain at the set 94 degrees. I'd like to replace it, unless this is normal.
>>
File: 20170319_133050.jpg (787KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20170319_133050.jpg
787KB, 1080x1920px
I got that underweight python today.
Turns out he's a butter, not a mojave

He's not as underweight as I thought but he needs to start eating again for sure
>>
>>2338184

That's pretty normal. You could try heat tape or heat cable. The main thing is heat retention though. I get more consistent temperature if there is a ceramic or slate tiles directly above the UTH. It takes longer to cool down so the dip in temp is not as much when the thermostat cuts power when it hits the max set.
>>
>>2337701
If you get a really dense wood it should be fine, and using aged wood like driftwood helps as well. It has already had the water soluble nutrients leached out. Soaking/boiling wood in saltwater, drying it, and rinsing the outside should solve an issue if you already have moldy wood.
>>
I have this 5' great basin gopher snake. I've had her 2 years, and last night was the first time I ever saw her shed from start to finish.

6 minutes. That's all it took. No wonder I've never seen it. I had no idea they worked that fast.
>>
>>2338184
With an ON/OFF thermostat that's pretty normal. You'll only be able to lower the fluctuation by getting a pulse-proportional/dimming capable thermostat.

>>2338191
He looks pretty good, just feed him as you would a normal healthy bp and he will gain weight. It may take awhile, but it's better they gain the weight slowly than all at once.

>>2338236
I guess it depends on the snake, the few times I've caught my snakes at the beginning of a shed, it took them all day from start to finish.
>>
File: cokeheaduro.jpg (164KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
cokeheaduro.jpg
164KB, 720x960px
I think my uro is doing coke behind my back

I'm worried what do I do to get him to kick his habit
>>
File: 2015-04-05 (Date Imported) 090.jpg (766KB, 2121x1591px) Image search: [Google]
2015-04-05 (Date Imported) 090.jpg
766KB, 2121x1591px
>>2338280
>it took them all day from start to finish.

That's really interesting. There's nothing particular about my snake's setup to seed the process. Humidity is only 35% (or whatever it is in the house at the time). She doesn't even soak in her bowl. Maybe it's because her body doesn't bulb out in the middle like a Ball Python. Maybe it's easier with a streamlined body?

Pic is her. The only time I ever caught her in her water bowl.
>>
>>2338290

A responsible lady friend to nag/scold him for his irresponsibility and tell him "no sex until you get clean" ... not like he has a lot of options in his habitat.
>>
File: Angry_salamander.jpg (33KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
Angry_salamander.jpg
33KB, 540x960px
My salamander always looks angry.
>>
>>2338280
He's not pretty good. His spine is really visable and his smomach is pretty caved in
That is my plan though
>>
>>2338302
"Give me more worms now!"

"I am going to fuck your shit up!"

"Your hand is dry you fuck"

"Red wigglers are not the same as earthworms!"

"I am not a newt!"

"Salamander noises"

"Reply to this salamander or your mother dies in her sleep tonight"
>>
>>2338302
that the one you raised fro a eft?
>>
File: IMG_1054.jpg (1MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1054.jpg
1MB, 1600x1200px
>>2338293
I'm not sure, even my tiny garter snake (he's an adult now but I haven't viewed any recent sheds) would take a few hours. Faster than my boids, but still not quite as fast as what you observed.

>>2338307
He's nowhere near as bad as the photo I posted above, and they bounced back pretty quickly, so I'd argue he's doing pretty good.

Do keep us updated on his progress, though, it's always nice seeing the rescue stories in these threads.
>>
>>2338373
Yeah, I'm 100% sure he'll make a solid comeback.
I'm probably keeping him though
>>
File: IMG_2791.jpg (241KB, 1060x1424px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2791.jpg
241KB, 1060x1424px
>free leopard gecko
>not ready for another gecko especially one that is probably very sick

This is just so infuriating. Please /an/ talk me down from going and picking this guy up.
>>
>>2338358
Yep. He was a cute little bastard.
>>
>>2338379
>>2338373
>>2338191
Update:
I got him to eat already. On a whim I offered him a large rat since he seemed pretty not-stressed and he just ate it like it was nothing,
I know the guy who owned this snake and it's never taken me more than a minute to feed it each time he called me. The fact that it only ate once every other month for him is bugging me.
>>
>>2338457
Gonna add that he always tried to feed live because its "more natural"
But this snake seems way too shy to actually strike anything. I set the rat down and he just ate it as it was.
>>
>>2338457
It's too late, but never ever do this.

When a snake is underweight/emaciated, the last thing you want to do is flood their system with food. Best case scenario, nothing happens, more likely the snake regurges, and worst case the snake dies from the shock.

You should always start small and slow, and no ball python should ever eat a large rat, small rats work for bps up to 3,000 grams. At 2,000 grams I would offer a medium rat every other feeding so that it takes up 1/3 of the diet (so small, small, medium for example). At no point would I offer a large.

Offering a large rat, even to a healthy bp, is a good way to keep your bp eating every 2 months, and may actually end up having him eating even LESS for you.
>>
>>2338464
They're on the small end. It's like a small-large or a larger medium.
It's also worth saying that this is a large ball python. I measured it earlier and it's almost 5 feet, and is supposedly a male.
>>
>>2338465
At 5' he's probably at the 2,000-2,500 gram range at a healthy weight, so a medium would be fine every other feeding, but being underweight he should still not be getting such large meals. He's got enough weight on him smalls should be fine, but if he was as underweight as the bp earlier in the thread, you'd be starting with weaned rats the first several meals.

Large rats are 150-270 grams and 8"-9" long, mediums are 80-150 grams and 6"-8". Both are too large for you to be feeding even a 5' ball python, especially while it's underweight with a sunken belly. He could handle a small rat on a regular schedule as is, but medium/larges are not advised.

Keep a very close eye on him and do not disturb him, being underweight and eating a large meal means he's going to be in a very delicate situation until he's had a few days to digest.
>>
>>2338467
I have no intention of messing with him.
He's not nearly as underweight as >>2336553
I can barely see the bulge as it is. I dont handle any snakes until 3 days after their last meal
>>
>>2338469
Exactly my point, which is why I think starting out with small rats would be fine vs weaned rats. Medium/larges are still too much for a healthy weight bp of his size to be eating, let alone a slightly underweight one.

With adult bps, it's not about the size of the bulge, but the metabolic needs of the snake. An adult bp does not need nearly as much food as one would assume. Even though the medium/larges did not leave a large bulge, I assure you smalls are the appropriate sized meal for him. Again, at most I would offer a medium 80-150 grams every third meal. Even then, it may be too much food for him and you may have to wait an extra week or two after a medium rat. Especially since he has shown a tendency to eat less often with his previous owner, ball pythons will sometimes eat less often if they feel they are eating too much. A bigger meal spaced out is less conducive to a healthy body tone than a smaller meal on a regular schedule is.
>>
>>2338471
I think he wasn't eating because his enclosure was small, dry and he was only offered live food. Also, shitty red lights. i've never met a snake happy under red lights all the time
>>
>>2335342
Update 3
Checked on the snake again and sure enough, she's started getting milky looking for shedding and no blisters. Now it's just a matter of keeping the humidity up
>>
>>2338302
cute. it's good to see salamanders here. probably the least common herps I see posted
>>
File: IMG_1015.jpg (89KB, 722x723px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1015.jpg
89KB, 722x723px
Rate my new tortoise /an/
>>
>>2338649
7/10. He has some growing to do. Nice tort-eyes though.
>>
>>2338473
I've had mixed experiences with them. Most of them do just fine with the lights, but I still keep them on a 12 hour cycle now that I know better. One of my boas didn't take to it very well, though. For 5 days straight he soaked in his water dish and did not leave it unless I took him out. I would be able to see his tracks in the bedding if he had (damp EcoEarth). The same night I turned off the light, he immediately left his water dish.

So now I only use lights (whether red or otherwise) during the day, and haven't encountered any problems. I also only keep one ball python, so that already gives me an advantage as far as feeding goes.

But definitely still keep the prey size small in the future, it is a common problem for bps to start refusing food when overfed, and I've encountered it myself with mine.
>>
>>2334597
well ball pythons need the food to be more heated since they are pretty poor sighted for a snake like any python for that matter if you heat up the dead mouse and make it move a bit the snake will usually if not always take it.

remember pythons hunt worm blooded live animals so that sense for the heat will get them interested.

best way to heat them would be to after defrosting place dead mouse in between two freshly made hot water bottles till its nice and warm not hot though then try feeding the python then works for every python i have ever fed at work
>>
>>2338726
I just stick it next to my heat lamp for 5 minutes then set it down next to the snake.
I'm pretty sure ball pythons have some kinda scavenger instinct too.
>>
I like petting my leachie's fat belly. Sometimes I let her get halfway into her hidebox and then holder her back half in front of her back legs so I can pet her fats kind of where her eggs would be.

She gets mad as fuck and barks and squawks, but she can't go in or out to try to bite me because she's halfway inside the hidebox.

Then she started getting smart and when she saw me, she wouldn't go inside her hidebox, so she could bite me if I went to pet her fats.
>>
>>2337007
not bad but if you have the time and some cash you should really try invest into a paludarium set up would be much nicer to look at for one and it is also pretty easy to maintain plus gives the animal a much more natural place in the enclosure when you see it climbing to shore always looks cool to watch.
>>
>>2338649
solid 8/10 my man strong and healthy colours on it shell looks perfectly fine good shine to it has some growing up to do but as long as you keep him happy and as healthy as he looks there then its gonna be 10/10 tortoise.
>>
>>2338729
well pythons are not known to take dead food in the wild not that i have ever heard of maybe a recently killed animal but they tend to go away from dead things since random dead animals often imply illness to them.

i have had this problem with any python i have had to feed its more of a science to get it just right need to make it smell good warm enough and look alive them WAM they will usually take it in a matter of seconds if they are hungry enough.
some are slower to react to it than others so just try be creative with it and you will get a result eventually.
>>
>>2338741
>well pythons are not known to take dead food in the wild not that i have ever heard of maybe a recently killed animal but they tend to go away from dead things since random dead animals often imply illness to them.

It usually is better to not just make stuff up on the spot.
>>
>>2338735
Leachies are so deliciously plump, they look like very small crocodiles
>>
>>2338746
They make little crocodile noises when you pet them too.

It's really fun petting their fats.
>>
>>2338741
I've never seen a snake that won't scavenge a clean carcass.
>>
>>2338753
if its clean then i guess yea but if its got any issue with it.
then its s total no go for the snake.
that is what i have seen from experience in feeding them mostly.
>>
>>2338744
how is that on the spot its common knowledge that most predators dont tend to just eat any old animal they find dead unless in dire need of food they will check it out before making the decision to eat it.

not unless they have a strong enough to break down the harmful microbes that can cause it internal damage.

not ever occurred to you why snakes will sit at a dead mouse flicking its tongue at it for nearly a whole minute before taking it its literally because it is checking the food for any signs of noticeable problems it may have.

you telling me that you are going to eat something dead you find without checking if anything is wrong with it?

the logic of look before you leap applies to all predators.
>>
File: Red_Pacific_Tree_Frog.ribit.jpg (795KB, 1192x800px) Image search: [Google]
Red_Pacific_Tree_Frog.ribit.jpg
795KB, 1192x800px
>>2338587
I noticed that, they are super chill. Very low maintenance compared to alot of other herps.
I would definitely recommend them, even to beginners.

>>2338736
Yeah, the cash part is the main thing. This tank actually has a crack in the side, which is the reason I have the water in a separate bin. It makes water changes and management really easy as I can just take the bin right out, but it doesn't look as good as a real paludarium. That is the eventual goal though, and once this guy is moved I will transfer my frog breeding program into here.

Oh, I am also getting into breeding frogs. I just recently paired two wild Pseudacris regilla, one green and brown female, and a red and brown male. I did not expect so many eggs. There is atleast 200 there just from one female.
I am very excited though, the red phenotype is extremely rare in my area, and the male was the first one I had seen outside of photographs.
He looked like pic related.
>>
File: Eggs.jpg (45KB, 450x800px) Image search: [Google]
Eggs.jpg
45KB, 450x800px
>>2338788
These are the eggs. Not sure if you can make them out from the bad photo. Excuse the mycology shit in the background.
>>
>>2338788
ohhh very nice looking frog my man also its fine you can get to the paludarium in time no real need to rush it.
This my geck.
hes getting big now hes at 60grams
>>
NEW THREAD TIME IS NIGH

>>2338793

>>2338793

>>2338793

>>2338793
>>
>>2331941
when i was in middle school i had a lepard gecko and he bit me twice by accident when i tried petting him with crickets around him... not a great idea but it was funny afterwards
Thread posts: 319
Thread images: 76

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.