[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do lizards feel anything? My parents inherited a leopard gecko

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0246.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0246.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Do lizards feel anything? My parents inherited a leopard gecko from my uncles step kids a long time ago and he's been somewhat neglected in recent months. It's never had a huge amount of human contact and I've had to yell at them in the past about keeping its cage in front of a drafty window (my parents live in New Brunswick and winters are pretty cold).
My parents are garage pet owners and this is pretty consistent with how they've treated dogs, cats and chickens we've had in the past. Basic needs are met, but there's no love; in the case of dogs there was no training; water dishes for everything were just topped up and rarely cleaned.
Tl;dr should I rescue this lizard from my shitty parents
>>
>>2329377
*garbage pet owners
>>
>>2329377
first, it really doesn't look like needs are met for that lizard. I don't think leopard geckos should be that this, and is that all stuck shed on the torso?
second, no it doesn't need human love. if it's not a baby anymore, then it would probably be hard to get it enjoying human company now anyway.

it still feels stress and pain though, so I would help it if you've done research on know how to take care of it.
>>
*be that thin
>>
>>2329377
If you can do a better job than your parents, then yes.
>Dirt as a substrate
Im upset, get that think off the dirt asap
With the internet and its near infinite stores of knowledge at a few finger motions away you would think that people would know how to take better care of animals
>>
Take gecko tank and put it in your room. Search leopard gecko care and do everything the caresheet says.
>>
>>2329496

In regards to question about 'feel'; geckos can feel stress, discomfort, pain. They can suffer. A gecko kept in shit conditions and malnourished is not a happy gecko.

While i'm at it, basic care info:
>get a digital thermometer for the tank
>hot side should be about 90F, cool side of tank 75-80
>if there is only one hide in that tank, buy another one and put it on the opposite side
>take a low/wide plastic container, maybe 3" x 5", cut entrance hole in side, put moist paper towel in container, put container in middle of tank. Replace with fresh moist paper towel every four days. This is called a moist hide and is important for the gecko to shed skin cleanly and easily
>feeder insects must be dusted with calcium +D3 (just use Repashy Calcium Plus)
>toss that dirt out and put paper towel for now. ceramic or slate tile is best long term.
>change and clean water dish every three days or immediately if dirty or soiled
>>
File: gak 06 03 17.png (1MB, 644x956px) Image search: [Google]
gak 06 03 17.png
1MB, 644x956px
>>2329410
>>2329490
>>2329496
>>2329503

Thanks /an/, I really appreciate it and I know Gak (its name) does too.
Here's the new set up:
-cleaned the tank and layed down paper towel
-reorganized the tank. Primary hut is now on top of the heat pad (it wasn't before)
-got a new water dish. The old one was unforgivably gross; i don't think my parents ever cleaned it and rarely changed the water
-made a moist hide out of a shitty old tupperware container
-gave it a good feed of crickets (6) dusted in calcium

It's pretty old (almost 15) and it's hard to say how much longer it'll live because of the conditions it's endured, but I'm glad to be looking after it properly in its final years.
>>
>>2329734
Surprised it's managed to make it to 15, I can only assume your uncle took better care of it because that gecko is skinny and malnourished
>>
>>2329734
Leos can live up to 20 years or more, so this guy has some time ahead
Also do some research on how its feces should look, in case it has other internal issues.
>>
>>2329734
Nice work, op. Looks way better.
>>
File: IMG_4450.jpg (23KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4450.jpg
23KB, 300x168px
>>2329377
>Do lizards feel anything?

No. This is how they can rule people.
>>
>>2329734
Proud of you OP. Being the change you wish to see in the world
>>
>>2329410
>Only feels stress and pain

Kindred spirits we are.
>>
>>2332021
they don't ONLY feel those
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.