[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How are Akitas, particularly the American variant, as pets? Temperament/behaviorally?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Beautiful-American-Akita.jpg (49KB, 750x493px) Image search: [Google]
Beautiful-American-Akita.jpg
49KB, 750x493px
How are Akitas, particularly the American variant, as pets? Temperament/behaviorally?
My family had a few when I was fairly young, but I was too young (less than 10) to really remember their behavior in detail.

I would like to have one again someday in the future, likely years from now. By then I should have land and something of a "farm" (garden, chickens, fish) and it would likely be nice to have something of a calm "guard" (see: "alert") dog.
>>
>>2329072
They have aggression problems involving other dogs and strangers even when well socialized.
Many Insurance companies don't like them and will bump up your rates if you have one. Some towns/cities have banned them.

Take that as you will.
>>
>>2329408
I have heard American Akitas are actually slightly larger and more prone to stranger/animal aggression than the Japanese variety. Not to say that the Jap version isn't also prone to aggression
>>
>>2329408
This.
They also don't really get along with other dogs, especially dogs of the same sex. Have an unspayed bitch with other dogs and brace for blood.
Like shiba inus, they can be 'catlike'. This is another way of saying that the dog will probably do what it wants and when it wants.

If you're experienced in large dogs, strong enough to handle them, don't have other dogs and have experience in stubborn, aggressive breeds then go for it. If not you might want to pass unless you'll commit to professional training if you're having issues. The earlier you correct behavior issues the better.
Puppy classes are a good way to start socializing.
>>
>>2329438
Forgot to add regarding the 'guard dog' aspect. If you have smaller animals, be it cats or chickens then an akita is a poor first choice. You shouldn't trust them unsupervised with them.

Do you want a dog that will just alert you? Most breeds will. Most dogs will also go after a threat or hold it at bay but if you have coyotes, pumas, wolves, foxes, bears, etc around your farm and have livestock then you are better off with a livestock guardian breed. Great Pyrenees and leonbergers come to mind. There are also intentional mixed breeds like GP x anatolian shepherds bred for the job. Working lines also make a difference. These dogs have a job to do and they will do it well as well be a companion.
Other breeds like collies, sheepdogs, even rotties can also make good, working farm dogs. You might have a group or trainers around that specifically work with farm dogs where they put dogs through tests to see whether or not they can do it.
>>
An Akita is as stubborn and animal aggressive as a Shiba but strong enough to actually do some damage. Don't get one unless you're an extremely experience owner
>>
>>2329459
I've had a lot of various dogs and have been working at a kennel that trains for over a year now. I read books in relation to dogs/training, listen to podcasts, and study animal behavior (ethology) as a whole.

Most of the stuff that has been said in this thread seems like the shallow/surface level stuff I have read from sites. I was curious if anyone had a lot of hands-on experience with them, especially in contrast to other breeds.

>>2329438
I grew up with several together. They seemed alright with their "familiar" family, but were quite hostile towards stranger dogs. We took a half-akita in when I was around ten and he first killed a cat and attacked my lab, then came to be fine with the lab and two other dogs, and never harmed our cats or goats either. Granted, he was only half.

>>2329441
I know many other breeds will guard/alert. I am more interested in them for the calm/stoic aspect ("catlike" as others have described, I guess), and see the use in having a large dog as a sort of "guard" animal.
>>
They will be the pitbulls of the 2020s
>>
Cool dogs to look at but they're not a good dog to have around animals. Prey drive is high. They're good guard dogs for a home but I wouldn't recommend them over most other guardian breeds.

You sound like your situation is similar to mine, I recently got a bit of land and have set up a "farm" (Chickens, crops, garden). I opted for a German Shepherd because I do a lot of hiking as well I wouldn't recommend them with chickens. I'd say Great Pyreness or Anatolian Shepherd.
>>
>akita
>chickens

Hahaha no. Akitas have wild prey drive, and they'll kill the entire coop in a morning if you leave them unsupervised.
>>
I have had one for the last 7 years since I was 15.
She is very food aggressive but I have managed to tone it down a bit since I moved out, she was originally a stray someone dumped in the neighborhood so it took some time.
She is dog aggressive to any dog of her size that will stand its ground. If its smaller or doesnt posture back at her she generally has no issue.
Unlike other anons she is actually very protective of smaller animals, my mother(as retarded as she is) would let my youngest sister relatively unsupervised outside in the yard with the dog on its runline and she also babied my sister in laws guinea pigs that eventually got carried off by some form of predatory bird. She also jumped on some nigger who jumped me in my front yard when I was a teenager. That is all anecdotal evidence though and by no means represent the entire breed.
She does act alot like a cat at times wanting to just do whatever by herself but to me and my siblings she is very content being more "doggish"
I love her but she is certainly not for everyone
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.