[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can you harvest feathers from a chicken... like... renewably?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: 1471204221107.jpg (259KB, 1280x820px) Image search: [Google]
1471204221107.jpg
259KB, 1280x820px
Can you harvest feathers from a chicken... like... renewably? Like if I removed the feathers of it off would they eventually grow back? And how many times could I repeat the cycle before the chicken wore out?

Similarly, if I removed the feathers from a pigeon,would it still be able to fly?
>>
Birds molt a new set of feathers every year around spring time. So yes they grow back. They also naturally lose feathers all the time. However, plucking them may cause the feathers to grow back like shit. Even a few flight feathers that grow in wrong can prevent good flying
>>
>>2328208
>Before the chicken wore out
I lold
>>
It would probably hurt the chicken a lot. Feathers are embedded into the skin. Especially primary, secondary and tail feathers that have a thicker quill. They tend to bleed if they get torn out and preemptively plucked or damaged feathers may not grow back properly. In general it's normal for them to loose feathers here and there, mostly body feathers.
Birds do molt however, where they naturally shed their all their feathers. It could be a few at a time or a ton of it according to some parrots I've seen. Makes me wonder wtf do they do in the wild when they're mostly naked.

And no birds can't fly without feathers. Even just missing some tail or wing feathers may fuck up their ability to fly. Seen some wild birds without their tails and they suck at landing, can't fly very straight. Seen some missing too many primaries so they sort of do these accidental turns and are horribly inacurrate when trying to perch. Pretty goofy. I've found an odd number of complete blue jay and mocking bird tails with vertebrae attached.
>>
>>2328208
Wait until they molt the feathers, then pick them up.

Plucking feathers off a live chicken would be like if, instead of shearing sheep, we just ripped out their wool by the roots. It'll hurt the bird like hell.

>>2328293
The big flight feathers aren't just embedded in skin--they're rooted in bone for structural support.

Non-wild parrots have screwy molts. Essentially all wild birds molt over a period of several weeks. If they lost all their feathers like what you seem to be thinking, they'd die. Feathers are how birds fly.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.