[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did God let dogs have nightmares? Do dogs ever have nightmares

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 11

File: dachshund.jpg (83KB, 645x380px) Image search: [Google]
dachshund.jpg
83KB, 645x380px
Why did God let dogs have nightmares?
Do dogs ever have nightmares where their owner is brutally murdered in front of them and they can do nothing?
>>
>>2328040
>Do dogs ever have nightmares where their owner is brutally murdered in front of them and they can do nothing?
Well, according to this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3866692/Your-dog-probably-dreams-Sleeping-pooches-think-lovingly-owners-faces-smells.html
your dog is usually dreaming about you
so it stands to reason if your dog is having a nightmare, that nightmare relates to you in some way
so yeah, when your dog is having a nightmare, they're probably dreaming something awful is happening to you
>>
>>2328041
Or a nightmare about that time you accidentally stepped on your pup's tail/leg and it hurt. Or that time you got mad at something unrelated to the pup and it got scared anyway.
>>
>>2328134
>that time you accidentally stepped on your pup's tail/leg and it hurt
well that's 100% not my fault, he shouldn't be running between people's legs anyway.
and if that's what he's having nightmares about i really dont give a shit, that's like having a nightmare about a papercut
>>
my dog randomly jolts up from sleep and snarls in fear at something that isn't there
>>
>>2328135
>that's like having a nightmare about a papercut

More like having a nightmare about somebody stepping on your fingers. But it's not like people don't have nightmares about stranger things.

Who here has had a dream where their teeth fall out?
>>
Do dogs know that their dreams aren't real?
>>
>>2328270
Do you know you arent real?
You're just part of a dog's dream m8
>>
>>2328272
The fourth wall has been broken
>>
>>2328272
How can dreams be real if dogs aren't real?
>>
>>2328040
I had a violently sexual dream about dogs and I got rid of them all.
>>
>>2328270
What if your dog dreams you're abusing it and can't comprehend that its dreaming and wakes up hating you for the rest of its life?
>>
>>2328240
That's a pretty common dream actually
>>
File: 48a.png (456KB, 488x600px) Image search: [Google]
48a.png
456KB, 488x600px
>>2328272
>>2328340
>>
>>2328272
fugg what if dogs dream they're people. I could be a dog right now and not even know it.
>>
File: 1467240927941.jpg (110KB, 552x364px) Image search: [Google]
1467240927941.jpg
110KB, 552x364px
>adopt dog who grew up in an abusive household
>he cries in his sleep until I pet him and put my hand on him while he sleeps
>had to go on a 3 day trip
>thinking about him all alone at the boarding facility with no one to pet him and let him know it's okay
>>
>>2328227
It is there
You just can't see it
>>
>>2328270

Of course. It's the exact same with humans.

Humans usually think our dreams are real until we wake up, in which case we think 'wow what a fucked up dream' and then we typically forget the dream right after except vague details. So I'd imagine dogs have it similar, just without the obvious mental capacity or language to express 'weird', 'dream', or 'detail' in any way.
>>
>>2328040
>your dog dreams about you ruthlessly beating it for no reason
;________;
>>
File: 1487001815690.jpg (18KB, 600x238px) Image search: [Google]
1487001815690.jpg
18KB, 600x238px
>>2328501
>>2329018
>>
My dog sometimes wags her tail in her sleep
>>
Not a dog owner, but my kitty has nights when she sits up suddenly and just starts crying and making the most mournful meows. I always sit up, say her name and pet her. Sometimes she is startled by my touch but cuddles up closely with me afterwards. I never know what she's dreaming about but she seems very reassured by my presence.
>>
>>2329035
>she dreamed you forgot to feed her
>>
>>2328040
Why are you convinced dogs have nightmares?
>>
>>2328240
>>2328473
I have that dream as a recurring nightmare.
>>
File: 1473297217226.png (145KB, 610x599px) Image search: [Google]
1473297217226.png
145KB, 610x599px
>>2328501
god damn
>>
>>2330096
Mine won't shut up about it.
>>
>>2328040
>Why did God let dogs have nightmares?
God didn't do anything because God isn't real
>>
>>2328362
fuck you
>>
>>2330691
>being such a fedora you're triggered by a turn of phrase
>>
>>2330691
/thread
>>
>>2328270
How can humans be real if dogs aren't real?
>>
File: 1481654422054.jpg (68KB, 750x726px) Image search: [Google]
1481654422054.jpg
68KB, 750x726px
>>2330691
>being this reddit
>>
File: 1488256182186.png (28KB, 963x571px) Image search: [Google]
1488256182186.png
28KB, 963x571px
>>2328482
>>
Are dogs even capable of having abstract dreams?
I imagine their dreams are limited to things they've already experienced.
>>
>>2331057
My dog hunts in her sleep, something her breed was bred to do but she herself has never experienced
>>
>>2331188
>My dog hunts in her sleep
How do you know?
All her twitching and moving in her sleep could be because she dreamed she was drinking from the toilet, and the lid dropped.
You wouldn't fucking know.
>>
>>2331190
She does about 5 minutes of low, very quiet growls, then 5/10 minutes of her legs going crazy and barking, then about 5 minutes of her tails twitching and no more barking

What else could it be?
>>
>>2331192

>What else could it be?
Fucking anything. I know you would like to think she is hunting, but the reality is we just don't know. To say without a doubt she is dreaming about hunting is false, it could be anything.
>>
>>2331198
Eh, the pattern of movements she makes has me convinced desu. We have thousands of insticts born into us that never needed to be taught. The instict for her to hunt is obviously there, why wouldn't she be able to dream about it?
>>
File: 1487907515055.jpg (8KB, 254x199px) Image search: [Google]
1487907515055.jpg
8KB, 254x199px
>>2331199
Its not that she can't be dreaming about it. It's that you can't just say "I'm convinced!" and not give any reason.

Fuckin tard.
>>
>>2328362
Why doesn't this happen?
I know dogs/cats that were epileptic that ended up associating their owners with the pain and confusion from waking up from a seizure. Since the owners were always with the animal during a seizure, the animal either became aggressive or fearful at the sight of the owner, even long after the seizure had past. I've never heard of a dog associating it's owner with the fear from a nightmare though.

My understanding of seizures is that you just wake up confused and sore from injuries you inflicted yourself with no memory of the event. That doesn't really sound much different from a nightmare. It's weird that a dog can understand a nightmare isn't real, even if they hurt themselves by biting their tongue or something, but not apply that logic to a waking from a seizure.
>>
>>2331199
Dogs dream in a similar way to humans, and some believe that the majority of the time humans dream nonsensical dreams that have no meaning and make little difference, however we also may experience dreams that relate to experiences within our lives, and allow us too cope with and address those experiences. If dogs experience their dreams in the same or similar way they may likely only be capable of dreaming of things they have seen and experienced - there's not enough evidence other than anecdotal evidence to suggest that they have an imagination (nor is there enough to suggest otherwise, though) so even if the instinct were there to hunt, she would need to also be able to imagine the animal she was hunting etc.

My dog is a BC who is terrified of cows and dislikes sheep so I feel like if she was having a bad dream it would probably be her being chased by farm animals lmao.

Also, we sleep to consolidate and store information which means dogs probably do the same, they may not necessarily dream in the same way as us at all, perhaps they relieve everything they experienced throughout the day?
>>
>>2331201
You're right lad, there's a good chance she's actually knitting a pair of socks for that dog across the street

Fuckin tard
>>
>>2328040
>My understanding of seizures is that you just wake up confused and sore from injuries you inflicted yourself with no memory of the event. That doesn't really sound much different from a nightmare. It's weird that a dog can understand a nightmare isn't real, even if they hurt themselves by biting their tongue or something, but not apply that logic to a waking from a seizure.
My mum is epileptic and although most people's seizures are different, she wakes up feeling confused, often has no memory of the event but because of her epilepsy she seems to have had some brain damage (not severe, just she behaves more childishly and impulsively) and I wonder if dogs and cats end up with similar damage and that's why their behaviour changes?
>>
File: 1487253640255.jpg (12KB, 251x241px) Image search: [Google]
1487253640255.jpg
12KB, 251x241px
>>2328040
Not a dog owner, but one of my cats has been having a very heavy sleep lately. The other day she just started growling in her sleep and suddenly woke up all shaken up. Had to pet her and cuddle up with her to calm her down
>>
>>2331205
>imagination
But they can experience fear, don't you need imagination for that? As in, imagining your current situation going from bad to worse?
My dog's *really* afraid of the dishwasher ever since the door gave up and it fell while she was in the kitchen (she was on the other side, don't worry), she won't approach it now. Isn't she just imagining it fall on her?
>>
>>2331206
For all you know she's dreaming about licking her twat, or eating shit, again you just don't know.
You choose to believe she is dreaming about hunting because you would rather think that, than another example that would be less majestic such as eating a pile of shit.
When in reality you just don't know. Realistically speaking she could be dreaming about knitting a pair of socks, she has just as much experience doing that as she does hunting, by your own admission.
Logically speaking as another anon suggested, you can't say for certain what's going through you dogs head when it's asleep.
Emotionally speaking sure she's hunting and chasing rabbits and whatever other happy shit you need to tell yourself.
>>
File: 1471841538879.jpg (68KB, 716x726px) Image search: [Google]
1471841538879.jpg
68KB, 716x726px
>>2331229
Would destroy you in fisticuffs, little man
>>
>>2331231
We all have to grow up sometime anon.
It's time to put down your whimsical toys and thoughts and accept the world for what it truly is.
>>
>>2331215
I'm not sure, maybe, I wasn't saying for sure that I'm right and I sure as hell wouldn't mind being wrong. I guess there's some things we may never know or that will take a long time to know?
>>
>>2331232
Don't cut yourself with that edge faggot
>>
>>2331475
>using logic to formulate an argument instead of emotions is now considered edgy
>>
>>2328240
I often dream that I grind my teeth so hard I can hear them shatter.
>>
>>2328041
that's fucking adorable
>>
>>2328240
>play a wind instrument and have had receding gum issues in the past
>have a nightmare where I'm about to play and my teeth fall out after coming into contact with the mouthpiece
I can never forget that one.
>>
>>2331479
not that other guy but you do seem like a cunt to me
>>
>>2328240
>about
>>
>>2331723
That's OK, I'll just consider the source, and go on about my life completely unaffected.
>>
File: IMG_2672.jpg (158KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2672.jpg
158KB, 500x500px
>>2330802
>being against religious bullshit is reserved exclusively for reddit
>>
>>2331727

Which is why you felt the need to respond. Keep thinking about your next response and check back in a few hours kk? That'll show em.
>>
>>2331817
>not allowed to respond when someone quotes your post
Who died and put you in charge faggot?
>>
>>2331819

Never said that. Just don't pretend like "lol idgaf" and come back over and over to ruin what was once a nice thread because of how much you don't care.
>>
My dog usually twiches its legs and barks in its sleep, i wonder what its dreaming about??
>>
>>2331849
But I'm allowed to state my opinion am I not boss?
You know like some other fag who quoted me and stated their opinion, too which I replied to.
Which BTW, doesn't fucking involve you in the least.
Fuck off faggot, I'm entitled to my opinion, while at the same time not really giving a fuck what you think. But I'll respond because that's how conservations work you dumb shit.
>>
>>2331865
*conversations, lol
>>
DOG IS GOD SPELLED BACKWARDS CUZ THEY ARE A MIRROR IMAGE OF ~~HIS LOVE~~
>>
>>2331900
>00
he might have a point here
>>
>>2331781
It is when you go out of your way to point it out in a completely irrelevant occasion.
>>
>>2328270
There's a reason dreams don't stick in either your short or long term memory like real experiences do. Its almost certain it's the same for animals.
>>
>>2328240
That is a common dream it is linked to being worried about how you look, which is pretty much most humans.
>>
>>2332094
>That is a common dream it is linked to being worried about how you look
I am extremely skeptical of any claim that dreams have universal "meaning".
>>
>>2332098
There is a few interpretations which are mostly negative, personally for me it is the looks thing.

Teeth are important in social interaction but I never had those dreams until I got my braces off, I keep my teeth quite well but still worry they will fuck up and go back to how they looked.
What bothers me most about those dreams is the feeling, I never feel in any other dreams but it actually feels like my teeth are falling out, like the sensation of losing a baby tooth x10.
>>
>>2328240
Usually it wakes me up. Happens regardless of whether it was nightmare, weird dream or pleasant dream up to that point.
Feels weird when they fall out and seeing the huge roots. I can't wait for next time and see what my crown looks like when it's outside. Or if my one tooth with a sort of patch will have it too.

Once though I dreamed hands gripped me by the shoulders and dragged me outside through the window, breaking it, and dropped me outside. I live on the fifth floor. Hurt a lot and I didn't even wake up for some time, I felt kinda sore when I woke up too. Moved my bed that very day.
>>
>>2332100
It could be something as simple as you grinding your teeth in your sleep and that the physical sensation works it's way into your mind. Or any other number of reasons.

Perhaps it's an ancient biologically inherited dream that animals have as well - functioning teeth were are after all 100% vital to survival for us until extremely recent evolutionarily speaking.
>>
>>2332105
Yet Koalas still fucked up.
>>
>>2332106
What?
>>
>>2332107
Koalas live mostly on eucalyptus leaves, these leaves are shit nourishment so they have to eat a lot of them to survive.
They spend most of their day eating the leaves, eating the leaves involves a lot of teeth grinding which wears them down until they fall out.

Most Koalas die of starvation because they have no teeth required for their diet.
>>
>>2332109
>They spend most of their day eating the leaves
Lol, no. They spend most of thier day sleeping. Close to twenty hours a day IIRC.
Of course this is solely because eucalyptus leaves are shit nourishment like you've already stated, but to say they spend most of the day awake and eating is just plain wrong.
>>
>>2332109
Why single out koalas? All grazing animals eats shit food and spend a lot of their day eating
>>
They are actually high as fuck.

Eucalyptus leaves are full of alkaloids which they have to break down after eating them. It's part of the reason they sleep so much
>>
>>2332111
My mistake.

>>2332113
Only example I know where such a thing happens, I assume there other animals that die due to their shitty diet fucking up their teeth.
>>
>>2332109
>>2332122
Isn't that only a problem with zoo koalas and zoo elephants because they live that much longer than in the wild?
>>
My dog makes thrusting and humping motions in his sleep and starts panting sometimes, I wonder what he is dreaming about?
>>
>>2328135
My girlfriends cat keep stepping in front of me and kicked her across the room many times doing so and the dumb cunt won't stop.
>>
>>2332127
>>2332122
Australian here. Koalas are literally retarded. A couple of years ago they had to cull several hundred because they were going to starve to death due to their overabundance in a certain area and resistance to relocating them to an area with plentiful food (meters away)

Also food they eat is so low in nutrients they are operating at like nothing capacity. Eucalyptus is also poisonous to them.
>>
>>2328240
Every time I have that dream, my gums slowly melt away and a metal jaw is exposed.

What's it mean /an/
>>
>>2332440
White Australians are literally retarded. Can't understand basic ecological principles and fucked up an entire continent in record time. You can really tell that they're mostly from a small (thus the inbreeding) population of degenerate criminals.
>>
>>2331781
4chan is a Christian imageboard.
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.