[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I could use some advice. I found a baby squirrel about 3 weeks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_20170216_115648908.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170216_115648908.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
I could use some advice.
I found a baby squirrel about 3 weeks old and I've bee having troubles with him aspirating the formula.I always make sure to hold him upsidedown to get the fluid out and i haven't had a problem with that. I've had him for about a week now and as of today I can here some clicking coming from him. Hes never made those sounds before but I've read not to jump the gun and to watch and see if it persist into tomorrow.

My question is, if it turns out to be pneumonia, what kind of medicine can I give him?
Unfortunately its illegal here to take care of orphaned squirrels and i would be afraid of what might happen if I take him to a vet. I will if absolutely necessary but if there's somthing I can do myself,id like to.

Any advice would be appreciated
>>
File: 1488346367668.gif (2MB, 235x240px) Image search: [Google]
1488346367668.gif
2MB, 235x240px
You need to avoid it at all costs. Antibiotics is about all that will treat pnumonia when it gets a hold.

gotta figure out a way to stop the aspiration. Maybe tiny nipples, make sure his nose is free, make sure his mouth is sunctioned to the feeding apparatus to keep air from leaking in?
Idk anon, but good luck to the little buddy.
>>
These guys MIGHT be able to help you

http://www.nfsa.us/index.php

You might want to join their forum and ask them about it. Even if your squirrel isn't a flying squirrel someone might be able to offer good advice.
>>
You might want to change him to a sterile environment as well.

Clean everything daily with 70 percent ethanol. Clean around his mouth and clean the feeding system thoroughly.

Natural bedding would usually be better but there may be irritants in the bedding you made that the mother would not allow. She would be cleaning them with saliva as well. It's a balance between killing bacteria and introducing healthy bacteria.

People saliva on bottle tip or on cleaning cloth around mouth may help or hurt??? Wish I knew.

I'd probably clean everything and give the bottle tip a lick if it was me just winging it desu
>>
I see people hold their mouths firmly when feeding too. Hell give em some rubs and pats...maybe he gotta burp and needs help.

Check Temps in his bed too..might be cold. Clean blanket wrap
>>
>>2327087
Air might be the problem. Unfortunately none of the pet store here sell syringes or anywhere else for that matter and the one we have is kinda lose, he tends to aspirate a lot because he sucks so hard on it. I've been trying to find a new one and I found some baby medicine that has a small syringe with it. So hopefully that will help. Thanks for the advice :)

Do you know of any antibiotics thats ok to give to small animals? No other sites I've looked at will give me names except for medicine you can only get from a vet
>>
>>2327090
Thanks, ill definitely take a look.
>>
Make sure you aren't over feeding it and go slow. If he drinks too fast it could get in his lungs. Make sure none of it gets in his nose and keep his nose clean while feeding. It can be tricky to feed small mammals. I learned this through bottle feeding pinkies but fortunately was able to correct it. A clear sign of this is bubbles through the nose.
Also check their stomachs after and before feeding for a milk line/band. Not sure if they're still visible at that age but if it's too full, hold off on feeding.

A blanket is also not enough warmth. If you don't have a heating pad you can hear up rag in a bag or a bottle of water, but make sure it's not directly touching them. Wrap it up and place them next to it.

Also if it is illegal for YOU to take in orphan squirrels, a rehab place can. Just say you found them today. Most places in the USA allow at least 48 hours of housing a wild animal in need of rescue in order to bring it to someone who legally can. Unless you've kept something like an owl and really fucked it up with your care, no one is going to go after you about squirrels. You'll be safe, OP.
>>
>>2327125
Ya, I go as slow as I can, I had to replace the syringe today. I manage to find a smaller one and he didn't aspirate when I fed him, so thats good.i have a heating pad for him and Hes got a nice nest of t-shirts. I've done more research on this than I care to admit. And the wild life place that we have would not take him. Thats why I'm still caring for him. It sounds like the clicking stopped, might have just been a little gunk that was stuck. He seems to being better than this morning though. So thats good.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.