[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this a good length? I've always had small dogs and easy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_20170226_214122.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170226_214122.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
Is this a good length? I've always had small dogs and easy cuts, never cut a quick. Got this guy's quick twice already and Im so nervous now. Nails keep breaking on me too, are the clippers too dull?
>>
File: IMG_20170226_214608.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170226_214608.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>
File: IMG_20170226_214829.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170226_214829.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
Flexed. They got some curve to them. The dew claws have stronger curve. The undersides really hollowed out so it's like they just crumble under the cutters. Do those electric files really work?
>>
Their nails don't have to be short, just not so long that it's going to fuck with their paws or cause pain. You can also cut at angles on each nail (I usually cut the side facing away from the paw, then the top, then the other side, being careful to avoid pinching)

Yes, the electric file can work, but unless it's a dremmel, you can't really get the sides.
>>
>>2325503
>nails keep breaking
Get better clippers.

You should really only be clipping once a month. Maybe 5/8ths of an inch. Some clipper-brands make retard proof clippers that only allow a tiny amount to be clipped at a time.

Also, the quick is a fleshy bit that's fairly easy to judge the length of. Given the color of your dog's keratin shell, you should practically see the quick by eye.
>>
>>2325505
>electric files
They're decent for little dogs, medium and up however its more of a pain than clippers.

Personally, I'll use clippers and then use the electric file to smooth off the edges
>>
>>2325503
Generally, the rule is that they're fine unless they clack on the floor when they walk.
>>
If you're using clippers on a big dog, you need to take off slivers, rather than just go to clip the whole thing in one go. Best clippers for the job are Millers Forge.

Also, look up the alternate cut line, because that will help you push back the quick and keep the nails at a reasonable length.

In general, a dog's claws are too long if you walk them on a flat hard surface (sidewalk, kitchen tiles, floorboards) and they click on every step. No clicking = you did a good job, they're short enough!

I tend not to like clippers very much -- my old dog has extremely brittle nails -- so I use a Dremel Micro. It works much better and I find I can get the claws shorter with less risk of quicking, so long as I'm careful about following the alternate cut line.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.