[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is my puppy Mason. He's German Shepherd, Husky,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: FB_IMG_1484630104015.jpg (24KB, 480x872px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1484630104015.jpg
24KB, 480x872px
This is my puppy Mason. He's German Shepherd, Husky, and Shar-pei.
>>
He's also too young to be away from his mother
>>
>>2324710
You managed to get all 3 of the worst breeds, but for the price of one! All I have to say is good fucking luck OP. Maybe they'll cancel out.
>>
>>2324753
GSDs are awesome
>>
>>2324753
Aw, I think all three of those breeds have their merits. IMO this little guy might have the potential to be pretty dog aggressive if not properly socialized, but I don't see why he can't wind up being a good dog.
>>
>>2324753
It's not a Shiba, chihuahua, American exotic micro bully mix anon.
>>
>>2324751
how can you tell? he looks about 8 weeks old and that's the standard.
>>
>>2324753
Looks like a good boy to me.
>>
>>2324835
Standard is 12 weeks. Supposed to be anyway.
>>
>>2324751
He was 8 weeks when I got him. Nice try though.
>>
>>2324839
The standard it 12 weeks where? I've always heard 8. tsThat's normal practice as far as I knew.
>>
>>2324795
I've noticed that, that was going to be a problem. He doesn't run away, doesn't chew anything he isn't supposed to, basic training has been easy, potty trained without a problem, and is very gentle. The only shortcoming is that he has a serious problem with strangers.
>>
>>2324858
You should wait 10-12 weeks because they learn bite inhibition and socialization manners from their mom and siblings during 8-10 weeks. 9 weeks the the absolute earliest you should separate them if you can manage it. During those early stages of development every day with the parents counts
>>
I was wondering if anyone had advice on socializing dogs. Mine is headed on five months, and he doesn't like strangers. For now it's just bashful puppy type fear, but I'm concerned it will become a more serious problem. If I do not get a handle on it now. I take him out in public to the park and stores that allow it. However the habit doesn't seem to be changing.
>>
>>2324865
I guess that makes since. Like I said the only problem I have with him is he doesn't like strangers. Even though I've been trying to socialize him.
>>
>>2324839
where do you live? in my country all the shelters adopt out puppies at 8 weeks. even fancy expensive rescues. nobody waits until 12 weeks unless there are health issues.
>>
>>2324874
It's the same where I am. I always assumed it was normal.
>>
>>2324790
Yeah, I love hip displaysia and unstable temperaments too.
>>2324795
Yes, when bred correctly and owned by competent individuals they're all wonderful dogs. That is to say... maybe 10% of them. Especially shepherds. Most I meet at work are absolutely terrified, aggressive, and untrained and you can barely even handle them. Which is just fucking great when you're the one restraining them to be vaccinated.

>>2324861
I seriously suggest taking the dog out somewhere new at LEAST 5 times a week and make sure strangers interact with him. More so than other dogs, sheps and sheep mixes are absolutely fucking nuts when they're not socialized.
>>
>>2324879
Well he's walked everyday, and we live near the local library and city hall. So he see people everyday that way. He's curious and does just fine antill they try to touch him. Up untill that point it's okay. He'll smell their hands and everything.
>>
>>2324883
He needs to interact with them and have positive experiences. Just seeing them isn't enough. Do more research into socialization or you'll end up with a large dog who's fear aggressive towards strangers.
>>
>>2324839
>>2324835
I miss this meme, I feel like I never see it anymore
>>
>>2324710
Mutt*
>>
>>2324883
Bring treats and have the strangers give them to him. My dog is the same way with white strangers. He loves black strangers though even though we are white. We think his old owners who abused him were white
>>
>>2324883
Don't make the mistake I did and skimp on socialization with kids. I did it a couple times and it wasn't enough, pup doesnt bark at kids but gets really skittish. Find a park that has kids often and let them feed him treats. I recommend baby food jars for this, as the dog must continually lick the container rather than grab the treat and run away. This lets people have time to gently pet him and talk to him.
>>
>>2325018
Seconding. I have a Shar Pei and people are stunned when they see how much she loves kids. We worked really hard to get her used to kids, people of all races and with wheelchairs and shit, and other dogs. She loves everyone and the only issue we ever have with her is that sometimes she loves people TOO much and gets a little too excited.

>>2324879
I actually don't have experience with shepherd mixes and I don't work with dogs so desu my sympathetic point earlier was pretty biased. You have a really good point about the health problems. Hopefully OP's mix doesn't run into any of those.
>>
>>2325056
Shar Peis are one of the only breeds I'm actually afraid of on sight. I know it's silly to fear a breed but I've NEVER had a positive experience with one. Kudos to you for putting in the work to socialize your dog
>>
>>2325110
I feel like if you've never had a positive experience, fear or wariness is totally justified. I've read some negative anecdotes from people online and I can see why the breed has a bit of a rep.

And thanks, but she's far from perfect and we are still working on it. She's just missed the memo on being "aloof" with strangers and tries to go home with anybody she meets at the park.
>>
File: 1447528056700.gif (242KB, 263x320px) Image search: [Google]
1447528056700.gif
242KB, 263x320px
>>2324710
>German Shepherd, Husky, and Shar-pei mix
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.