[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I thought I had my dog potty trained. How wrong I was. Crated

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8

File: 1477090756205.jpg (251KB, 1280x951px) Image search: [Google]
1477090756205.jpg
251KB, 1280x951px
I thought I had my dog potty trained. How wrong I was.

Crated him at night and would check the blankets in the morning. Always dry and stain-free. Awesome.

Noticed while cleaning the floor that on the other side of the crate there was dried pee. About 2 feet away from the crate. Must have happened sometime during the day.

Keep seeing more pee everyday despite him not being let out of sight during the day. Huh.

Come to find out he was shooting his pee out of the crate every night, with deligent aim to get it as far away as possible.

Great. Will putting a blanket around it fix this? Or do dogs only care if they are actually laying in wet pee? Do I need to use something that will bounce back the stream, like plastic sheets?
>>
>>2322182
Yup, wall that crate off. Or get a plastic crate that has the ventilation at the top and put a wall in front of the metal door.

Also, what a little shit lol.
>>
>>2322182
I literally don't understand how people find potty training dogs hard.

I have always used those smell pads, vastly praised the pup when it goes on them, and edge them towards the door and eventually outside. Three dogs so far this has worked on.

Saying that we don't crate ours for the night or day.
>>
>>2322247
>pads
I just took my pup out every hour and praised her for doing it outside.
Didn't take long for her to whine at the door when she needed out.
>>
>>2322247
Yeah he is perfect during the day, we have a bell he rings to go out. I always take him out before bed so don't know why he's using the nights to practice his pissing range. I'm a little mad but mostly impressed by his skill.
>>
File: IMG_20170224_004232.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170224_004232.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>2322243
The containment center is complete. No pee shall escape.
>>
>>2323715
Anon...ya done goofed...he may just paw that flimsy plastic down off his crate.

Just get some cardboard up on the outside of the crate. Or get a plastic crate.
>>
>>2323715
How old is he?
>>
File: IMG_20170224_004200.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170224_004200.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>2323789
7 months. He's 50 pounds so not sure if they make plastic crates that big. I feel like the pee thing started very recently, that or I was just stupidly blind for a good few months.
>>2323750
Thankfully all went well last night. No destroyed plastic and best of all, no pee anywhere. Gonna knock on wood I wasn't just lucky.
>>
>>2322413
This. I got my dog at ten weeks and the last time he had an accident was on the second day of living with him. It required constant supervision and a surrender of sleep for a couple of nights, but I refused to be someone who has to clean pee and poo off the floors
>>
>>2322182
>cage
Theres your first mistake. Also no it's not a crate. It's a cage.
>>
>>2324025
Don't put a baby in a crib! It's a cage! It should be free to roam the house at night!!

Please don't have kids son.
>>
>>2324039
Already have a 5 year old much more intelligent than most 10 year olds ;)

A cage doesn't teach dogs shit. Your comparison is laughable. Stop being lazy and train your dog. You're on par with trashy suburban parents who leave their dog in the cage for 10+ hours.
>>
>>2324044
This. Don't be god damn lazy niggers and give your puppers no stimulation or socialization. Dogs caged all day and night will never live up to any potential.
>>2324039
Stop making excuses for your shitty actions. Take your dog and throw it in the trash because that's all you see it as.
>>
>>2324044
>Already have a 5 year old much more intelligent than most 10 year olds ;)

Ah you are that kind of parent. I'm sorry you have to project on your kid your own insecurity.
>>
>>2324015
If you were crating him all night and not getting up to let him out in the middle of the night this whole time, it hasn't "just started". A five month old puppy can only hold it for five hours. He should have learned by now if you were doing it correctly but if you've been keeping him crated all night this whole time he's likely gotten used to just peeing at night because you wouldn't get up.

agree with the other anons in this thread about potty training not having to be a problem at all. You need to stick to a strict schedule. Clean the wall and crate with enzymatic cleaner and start getting up at night, you lazy fuck
>>
>>2324052
Nice buzzword! You lost this argument and now resorting to generic insults.
>>
Bottom of the line is if you cage you're dog and expect it to work you're lazy. You should not have a dog if you cage it while you're at work, play with it for a short time, then cage it while you sleep. A dog isn't meant for lazy people.
>>
>>2324073
It has just started. That's not how that works either. A dog has bladder control that long, but an empty bladder dog sleeps through the night. He's been sleeping though the night since 4 months, beforehand I got up mid night. You shouldn't put a dog in a crate all day and expect bladder control, but they can certainly sleep through the night on a proper feeding schedule.

I'm seeing lots of people talking about caging it during the day? That's not even what's happening here. This is a case where it's only caged at night. Daily trip to the dog run and play all day, it's a very stimulated pup. I'm guessing he peed out of the cage once and discovered it to be a pretty good method so he kept it up.
>>
>>2324039
>baby

That dog is not comparable to a fucking baby. He's more like the kid in pic related, would you put this kid in a cage too?
>>
File: IMG_0588.jpg (85KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0588.jpg
85KB, 480x360px
>>2324573
except the smartest dogs have the intellect of a 2 year old so you're analogy is as retarded is you are
>>
>>2324579
>you're

FUCK
>>
>>2322182
Only faggots crate their dogs.
>>
>>2324091
>asks for advice
>can't tell if it just started or not
>people tell him his dog isn't able to hold it that long and that's why he's pissing in/around his crate
>"no hurr he can definitely hold it that long"

Enjoy your dog continuing to piss in the crate because you're too much of a lazy fuck to get up and let him out at night
>>
>>2324613
Needed advice on whether blocking off crate would make a difference, if it would just pee on the walls and not feel uncomfortable. What is your source on not sleeping through the night at 7 months? Dinner is at 7 o'clock and he's crated at 12. Gets taken out at 7.

http://thehousebreakingbible.com/wp/training-puppy-faq/
>>
>>2324579
that boy shouldnt be in a crib
>>
>>2324074
>being this mad someone called you out for being "that" parent
Yikes. You sure got triggered easily.
>>
>>2322182
Is he a friend to all nature?
>>
File: 1303224384213.gif (1MB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
1303224384213.gif
1MB, 200x150px
>>2324613
>Implying op is a guy
>Implying op isn't a qt3.14
>Implying the dog isn't peeing the bed at a late age because it is predictive of psychopathy
>Implying the dog isn't killing other animals for fun
>Implying I am not the dog in the photo
>>2322247
>>2324024
>Implying your mom doesn't clean the mess for you while your sleeping past noon
>>2324044
>Implying anyone wants to have a child with you
>Implying your made up kid is smarter then other made up kids
>>2324073
>Implying op just overlooked 6 months of pee on the floor
>>2324078
>implying op is lazy because they crate at night
>Implying op just put the dog in the crate and did nothing else
>>2324573
>Implying that I wouldn't crate that ugly child in the basement
>>2324602
>Implying op is not a faggot
>Implying
>>
>>2322182
>he was shooting his pee out of the crate every night, with deligent aim to get it as far away as possible
>with delight
ok this really pisses me off.
you lock him up in a cage, you dont train him properly to take a piss outside because you have no idea what you're doing, and when your imprisoned dog tries to relieve itself (while imprisoned) it OBVIOUSLY wont want to piss in the place where it is confined for so many hours every day (its prison) but as far away from it as possible.

you literally locked your dog in a cage in its own piss.
when your dog has more sense than that and tries to keep its prison clean, you say he "takes delight" in soiling the surroundings.

fucking kys
>>
>>2325047
Choice quotes from the thread just for you, you subhuman filth:
>Yeah he is perfect during the day, we have a bell he rings to go out. I always take him out before bed so don't know why he's using the nights to practice his pissing range.
>It has just started.
>I'm seeing lots of people talking about caging it during the day? That's not even what's happening here. This is a case where it's only caged at night.
>>
File: 1473224564072.jpg (63KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1473224564072.jpg
63KB, 640x640px
>>2325016
Consider suicide
>>
File: Dog-elbow-callus[1].jpg (53KB, 828x565px) Image search: [Google]
Dog-elbow-callus[1].jpg
53KB, 828x565px
>>2324630
>What is your source on not sleeping through the night at 7 months?
He SHOULD be able to sleep through the night at 7 months but he obviously isn't.

If he's peeing while he's in the crate, something is wrong. If he is healthy, it's 100% something that you fucked up during training.

A puppy can hold its bladder 1 hour for every month he has been alive. So if you decided somewhere along the line, like at five or six months, that you didn't have to get up 4, 5, or 6 hours after his last piss, that's when he had to start pissing in the crate out of desperation.

So when 7 months finally came along and he had the capacity to hold his piss, he had learned he didn't need to because he could just shoot it at the wall out of the crate and be fine.

If your dog is healthy, and this sort of behavior happens, it's always because of something you did.

Also, for a large-breed dog like yours, you should have a soft bed in his crate instead of just a few blankets, otherwise you're going to be putting too much pressure on his joints (causing major problems, especially for a GSD which is already prone to them) and his elbows will end up looking like pic related. Likewise, they do make bigger crates. I've got a crate I can sit inside without craning my neck.
>>
>>2325047
Diligent, not delight, you dingus.

>>2325170
Again, night is different from day. During the day, when they have meals, bladder control totally follows those rules. I wouldn't keep him anywhere more than an hour or so without a chance to potty. During the night, they can sleep though it because they would have emptied their bladder by then. About 4 months for most dogs is the time they start sleeping through the night. He did great for month 4, 5, and 6. His last meal is 5 hours before we put him up, and he gets ample time opportunities to potty. He's gotten used to just peeing at night so he's just goofing around when I'm taking him to potty beforehand.

As for bedding, good call. He does need more. I can get him a foam layering, or is big pillows better?
>>
what the fuck is with all these people seeing "i crate my dog at night" and immediately assuming the dog is getting locked in there and being ignored 24 hours a day

every one of you that leaped to that conclusion should be ashamed of yourselves for not actually asking for more information from op first
>>
>>2325196
>He's gotten used to just peeing at night so he's just goofing around when I'm taking him to potty beforehand.
So you've gotta start getting up at night to keep him from peeing. Again--clean the pisswall with an enzymatic cleaner, and go back to getting up at night until this stops.

> I can get him a foam layering, or is big pillows better?
Whatever keeps him off the hard surface of the crate bottom/floor. if you can squish the foam down until you feel the hardness of the floor, go with something thicker until you can't.
>>
Sounds like he's marking
>>
>>2325500
I thought that too today because he tried to mark in PetSmart for the first time. Explains why it just popped up in the past month. His neuter appointment is in a week so I'll ride it out till then and just try enzymes every morning.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.