[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm moving to a new house in a couple weeks, and I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 3

I'm moving to a new house in a couple weeks, and I'm interested in setting up an aquaponics system in the backyard. Do you have any recommendations for a beginner?

Which setup should I use? I know there are a few Youtube videos on the subject, but I was wondering if anyone here has had success with a particular model.
>>
File: DSC01938.jpg (380KB, 1000x664px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01938.jpg
380KB, 1000x664px
>>2321765
I'm not the most knowledgeable, but I'm currently growing a ton of vegetables in a bell siphon system, eggplant, lettuce, mint, peppers, herbs, and tea with a larger version of this system. They're growing like weeds. It was mostly premade, but the setup requirements did not seem very difficult.
Specs for the pictured one according to the website are:
2'x8' Kit: 2'x8' grow bed approximately 120 gallons, 110 gallon pond, 700 gph water pump, large siphon kit, large piping set, 2'x8' table, 18 bags of pre-washed cinders or 8 bags of hydrocorn.
I bought it premade from the same company as the pictured one, but it's based in Hawaii. It may not be as helpful for you. I basically just needed to buy the cinder blocks to prop it up and sealant for the pvc pipes. Popular choice is always tilapia for hardiness and easy breeding, but a lot of people keep koi or large tropicals, mostly large cichlids and plecos, if they don't intend on eating them. I personally have koi in mine.
You're probably sick of video's or maybe you've watched this one, but they got over the same system I just mentioned in this video at 12:30.
https://youtu.be/-z1kozprw8Y
>>
File: 2013-03-15_19-29-54_114.jpg (1MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
2013-03-15_19-29-54_114.jpg
1MB, 3264x1840px
>>2321792
Nice set up anon.
>>
>>2321792
Thanks anon! I'm looking for something to feed two people, including myself, so yours looks to be a good size for that.

What do you do with your excess product? I was thinking about giving it out to neighbors or preserving it somehow, if that's possible.
>>
>>2322452
No real excess, so you might have to look that up. I give heavily to my grandmother though. Lettuce and watercress is enough for salads every so often, and everything else is plucked when it's convenient. I just have to get rid of some dead leaves every so often. I don't eat the fish as mentioned. The system was kind of an excuse to keep larger ones.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.