[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /an/, /k/ regular here. I have a GSD that is getting picky

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: 20160621_183216.jpg (270KB, 747x1328px) Image search: [Google]
20160621_183216.jpg
270KB, 747x1328px
Hey /an/, /k/ regular here. I have a GSD that is getting picky with her food. I have had her on Fromm Heartland Gold-Large Breed Puppy for a long time now, ever since she was about 3 months old (she is a little over a year old now, 14 months to be exact) but she hasn't been eating well the past few weeks. She never really ate regularly, she would graze on her bowl throughout the day and night, despite being on a strict ration (currently 4 cups a day) to help ward off any later dysplasia. Recently she has been eating about half of her daily ration, if that. She hasn't seemed to have lost much weight yet from that, but I assume it's time to switch up her food since she acts hungry with treats.

My question, what other food should I try out in lieu of the Fromm? I have another GSD puppy right now, and I would prefer them to eat the same food for logistical sake, so something large breed puppy specific would be nice. I'd like to keep a similar quality of ingredients to the food, and keeping it the same price would be nice as well (about $60 for a 25# bag)

Thanks in advance!
>>
>>2320969
Take her to the vet and get her teeth checked out before you waste money on more food.
>>
>>2320973
Anything specific I should ask about? Mostly so I don't show up at the vet saying "Hurr cud u check puppo's tooths?"

Like would the thought be some kind of toothache causing her to not want to eat or what?
>>
My GSD-mutt was like that. Vet told me she's just being a bitch and she ain't gonna starve herself. So I just took away her food after like half-hour if she didn't eat. Anyway, her appetite picked up after buying another pup. Idk if it was psychological or if it's all the playing they do now. I just buy cheap shit from wholesale clubs, switching brands every couple months when I run out. Since you're buying premium food, maybe check with a vet first.
>>
>>2320988
Psychological. "If I don't eat it, they will." Competitive survival stuff.
I've experienced this with dogs, horses, etc.
>>
>>2320991
OP here, funnily enough since we got the new puppy she has actually been protective of her food. If she sees him come in the room she will lay in front of her bowl, and if he stays there long enough she will start eating, one piece of kibble at a time.

The other pup scarfs his food down like a normal dog would, matter of fact I need to get one of those interactive bowls for him to slow him down.
>>
>>2320980
Pretty much just a TL;DR of what you said here. Teeth are quick to check but they may also want to look for mouth/stomach ulcers and blockages. Honestly lack of appetite is probably on of the most vague symptoms out there.

Also free feeding also makes that behavior worse. She picks at it when she wants, she may not eat it all at once, and it may go stale and she could refuse to eat it now once it goes stale.

As far as food goes, you will get a much more educated opinions searching on Google. There are forums and blogs literally just for dog diets, not even including raw diets. I would suggest reading the easy shit first like a bit of Wikihow and Vet Street just to learn the basics of dog nutrition, but don't settle with that. After you get the hang of that I'd suggest lurking actual dog food blogs/forums for recommendations. Some people even write monthly papers reviewing dog foods they tested their dogs on. Dog food is one of those rabbit holes I really don't want to go down though; I just feed my foster dog/s whatever bullshit they were eating at the shelter.
>>
File: 20170103_130459.jpg (842KB, 1594x897px) Image search: [Google]
20170103_130459.jpg
842KB, 1594x897px
>>2321010
Alright, I've been googling around for foods, just didn't know if anyone had any other suggestions. I'm not about to get into raw foods, I'm ok buying some of the "cheaper" premium food, but that shit gets way too expensive. I've gotten some basics of their nutrition, watching the calories, calcium to phosphorous, etc. My pups don't have any dysplasia in their family (at least within the last few generations), but I'm trying to do everything I can to keep it that way.

We recently moved, so I need to find a new vet, the little guy needs to get his next round of shots anyways. But I'll take them both up there to get checked up and build a chart with whatever vet I choose.

Thanks for the help /an/!
>>
File: 20160919_104906.jpg (217KB, 735x980px) Image search: [Google]
20160919_104906.jpg
217KB, 735x980px
>>2321010
Oh, I was also gonna mention, she acts the same with the food if it's fresh or not. I only put out a set amount of food at a time, so I know that she isn't overeating at least. I haven't tried taking the bowl away after a set time, but I will put it out of reach after a time so the other pup doesn't get into it. He did once and made himself miserable eating so much. She hasn't seemed to care if her food is out or not, but I'll try being more strict about it and see if she shapes up.
>>
>14 months old
>still on puppy food
try changing her to adult food
>>
>>2321286
With large breeds, they're body is still growing quite a bit till about 2/3 years old, so keeping them on the puppy food is recommended. It probably wouldn't hurt to mix it with adulthood though, seeing as most 'puppy' foods don't have any special design in their ingredients that is actually meant for puppies.
>>
File: 20160725_094522.jpg (250KB, 980x735px) Image search: [Google]
20160725_094522.jpg
250KB, 980x735px
>>2321291
Yeah, my previous vet recommended keeping her on puppy food as long as possible, although I could switch whenever I wanted. She did mention to definitely stick with large breed formulated stuff if at all possible. Supposedly the Fromm is properly done in terms of proper amount of calcium, etc, I'd hope most of the premium stuff is.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.