[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I have a husky and hes a very good doggo and hes about 2 years

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_20170123_164245.jpg (200KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170123_164245.jpg
200KB, 1280x720px
So I have a husky and hes a very good doggo and hes about 2 years old. The only problem is that he likes to run away alot and when he runs it takes hours to get him back. We walk him daily but he still likes to run. Its also not like he dosent like us because we treat him well.
Pic related is Spoon, the doggo in question
>>
File: IMG_20170213_092352.jpg (204KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170213_092352.jpg
204KB, 1280x720px
Another pic of Spoon
>>
>>2320822

I think it's possible that the daily walk simply may not expend enough energy for your dog. Maybe add a mile to the walks or do the same amount of time but trade off 5-min jogging and 10-min walking?
>>
File: 20170202_171904.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170202_171904.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>2320825
Alright, thanks for the advice
>>
File: IMG_20170219_145528.jpg (238KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170219_145528.jpg
238KB, 1280x720px
Oh and another thing is that he dosent really like eating dog food. I have tried many different foods both dry and wet but he never seems to enjoy eating.
>>
bike, skateboard, rollerblade, scooter etc.
>>
Video related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q07Rd9kq0Q0
>>
>>2320828
Does anyone feed your dog human food or treats? My dog used to get table scraps from my parents and would often ignore his kibble for days at a time. Eventually I got them to stop feeding him other stuff and he learned that if he didn't eat his own food, he'd starve.

If your dog is still picky, maybe try sprinkling some liver dust on top to entice him? I've even heard of people adding chicken broth to kibble to make it more appealing
>>
>>2320822
Try throwing the ball to get him tired. Or if it's close enough, take him to the dog park.
>>
>>2320822
Try teaching him the "come here" command. And do it every day as much as you can so it'll be in his instinct to come to you whenever you tell him "come here".
>>
I work at a kennel that does training. The number one complaint we get about huskies is that they run away and won't come back and get asked to teach them a good recall.

How good is his recall in most situations right now?
Reinforce that heavily.
Then get an electric collar and introduce consequences to NOT coming back.
Call him. If he doesn't come, call him again, and give him a correction. Reward him when he does come back. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Keep him on a long-lead until he gets good at this so he can't run off; the running away is a self-rewarding behavior and he's being reinforced positively to continue doing it each time he runs off.

>>2320828
A lot of dogs are like this. If he eats enough to maintain weight, I wouldn't worry about it. A glob of peanut butter is high in fat/calories if you need to give him a boost every once in a while, or you can try Nutrical or something similar.
>>
huskies like to escape. Did you do any research before buying one? Is he neutered?
>>
Let me guess, you live in the suburbs with a """decent""" sized yard and take him on one 45 minute walk a day?

Huskies are escape artists, it's in their breed. They jump fences like no other breed I've known.

Time to implement a tougher training regiment to ensure he learns "come here." Does you allocate time for mental stimulation? Does he have mental stimulation when alone? Personally I would be walking him twice a day.
>>
>>2321748
Ya I've got a husky lab mix and I run with her just under 2 miles every morning and she still has energy when I get back.

OP he's not getting enough exercise, also you should look into a proper fence. I've got one about 4 feet high and it's just barely enough.
>>
>>2320822
put him on a leash...

Nothing is more self-rewarding than free reign of the neighborhood. Yeah he likes you. But you're not as fun as running around.

Dogs like new interesting stuff. If the dog gets the same high value treat for EVERY SINGLE TRAINING SESSION, it looses value.

If u mix things up and he doesn't know what to expect, it keeps him focused cause "omg what could be next?!"

Running wild is the ULTIMATE "what cld be next" for ur dog.

It's not lack of exercise. It's not lack of affection for you. He's a dog, it's fun, he can't grasp abstract consequences.

We know not to run in the middle of the street cause we may get hit by a car.

he doesn't get it. he doesn't really know it's bad. And sometimes his bff (u) comes out and chases him around and that's THE BEST and y'all go on for hours, just having a great time.

meanwhile ur shitting bricks cuz he's loose.

Leash him. If he's getting out of a fenced backyard, put up coyote rollers (can be done 4 cheap) and work on a reliable recall. Shock collars are basically garbage except for recall training.

However, I slightly disagree w/ >>2320953

Don't call him more than once ever.
TEACH HIM TO COME WHEN CALLED first.

start in the bedroom, until he comes to you (immed) from all 4 corners of the room.

work up distance. Don't introduce the shock collar until u know that he knows he's supposed to come when called.

I'd recommend starting w/ a new command. He already has learned how easy it is to ignore his name and w/e you're hollering at him when he's running down the street.

Also if he's not neutered, do it now.

intact males will stop at nothing to chase some p*ssy.
>>
>>2322012
>Don't call him more than once ever.
>TEACH HIM TO COME WHEN CALLED first.

You call him the first time and if he doesn't respond, you give him that correction WHILE also repeating the command, but by the time you're sure he's not coming when called the first time, you've missed the correction window. He's not going to associate the shock with "Come" and if you try to immediately shock him, you may do so when he is going to come to you. This is generally how we train all of the dogs' recall where I work, and it works fine.
I should've emphasized not introducing corrections until he clearly knows what you're asking instead of just instructing to "Reinforce that heavily" (which in my mind means that, but that's not blatant language, so I should've worded it better).
>>
>>2322136
m8 finish the post before you reply
>Don't introduce the shock collar until u know that he knows he's supposed to come when called.

I personally wouldn't train my dog that way.

I would worry about the punishment resulting in the dog feeling negatively about the command.

And develop like a flinch response to the command.

I'd rather correct the lack of a response than correct while telling him the command.
if the end result is the same tho, doesn't matter a whole lot.
>>
>>2322143
If it works it works, but this is how I've always been instructed/seen done.

I don't think they'd respond that way to the command though, not after they learn to reliably come to it, then resume getting heavily praised for it.
>>
>he
>no visible penis
Your dog has tiny package at two years old. That's a far larger issue than his energy.
>>
You can try putting a leash on your dog and biking around with it, that's what we do with our Rottweiler
>>
File: IMG231.jpg (1MB, 2008x1309px) Image search: [Google]
IMG231.jpg
1MB, 2008x1309px
I feel like I lucked out with my husky. She's the laziest shit ever. Perfect recall, never pulls on walks, can't even jump on my bed without help.

I dunno how much was due to training vs genetics though. I worked on recall and remaining calm from the day I brought her home. The only issue with her is that she is very predatory with small dogs, especially puppies.

OP, try tiring your dog out with a game of fetch before walking him. A tired and hungry dog is going to be better with recall. Carry good treats with you and reward him every time he checks in with you, even if he's on a leash. A long leash in an open area is best.

>Oh and another thing is that he dosent really like eating dog food

That's just a husky thing. Huskies are good at changing their metabolisms. They can go a long way on little food. Most huskies stop eating when they are full, compared to other breeds like labs which eat until they throw up, then eat some more.
>>
>>2320824
>drooling on the couch

wtf
get him off there
>>
File: 1487731026591.jpg (75KB, 653x659px) Image search: [Google]
1487731026591.jpg
75KB, 653x659px
>>2320822
>The only problem is that he likes to run away alot and when he runs it takes hours to get him back.
Fucking kek. Just train your dog properly, keep him on a leash and electric collar.
Like >>2320953 said but do not give him the command twice, once is enough and if he ignores, shock. Reward with treats/food/pets when he does listen.
Stop feeding him people food. If he doesn't eat HIS food now, he will eventually.

Don't leave the electric collar on overnight but put it on him every day until he's really trained well.
>>
>>2322653
>once is enough and if he ignores, shock

You don't "give him the command twice". If he ignores the command, you shock him WHILE giving the command.
If he ignores the first command, then you shock him, and he does not return, you end up having to repeat the command again, wait again, shock again. The idea of shocking while giving the command is that when he fails, you correct him simultaneously with a shock and with the command. If you get a good model (Garmins, which replaced Tritonics years ago, are usually what we go for/recommend) you should be able to apply a continuous shock or repeated "nicks" following that, until he returns.
>>
>>2322844
There are multiple ways to teach the same command.

Just because you've seen your way work, doesn't mean its the best way.

Waiting until he ignores the first command and correcting the lack of response is probably a better idea than repeating it and punishing him while simultaneously saying it the second time.
>>
you need to work on recall OP, you can't just expect a dog to have it because they like you and know their name. it takes training. And if he isn't neutered then get that done ASAP

>>2322844
>If he ignores the command, you shock him WHILE giving the command.
Now I'm convinced you're just a troll because this is the easiest way to make the dog terrified of the command

>using a shock collar on a husky
huge mistake. huskies are a high strung breed as it is, this type of punishment training is just asking for a neurotic dog that has collar sensitivities and fear issues
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.