[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My partner and I have been looking to adopt a dog for a couple

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

My partner and I have been looking to adopt a dog for a couple of months. We eventually found a small puppy that we both like up for adoption in Kentucky and we live in New Jersey. if we went with this puppy we would not be able to meet her beforehand as she would be transported to us in 2 weeks. From what I've read it seems like a lot of rescue dogs come from the rural south and it's not unusual for them to be shipped up to rescues in the north.

Has anyone ever adopted a puppy this way before? Are there red flags we should watch for? What questions should I be asking?
>>
>>2320603
Just link the rescue website that is shipping the dog.
>>
here is their website http://kyrescueltd.yolasite.com/
>>
why do you want to pay 300 + shipping for a lab mix
>>
>>2320612
going through adoption/rescues is new to me so i really don't know anything about how much i should be paying. from what i've seen so far rescue puppies are usually $300 and up, especially in my area.
>>
>>2320614
One great thing to look for is something called 501(c)3 organization. This means it is a not for profit organization; any money they receive is either held onto for emergencies or goes back into their cause. It can not line someone's pocket, pretty much. An organization can claim to be non profit without 501(c)3 registration, but that may not mean they are telling the truth. It is stupid easy to get papers to be considered a non-profit. Hell I thought about it when I was fostering, and I could have done it, but I would have to foster too often and I didn't want to bother because I was a student. Absolutely anyone can have a rescue though, there are no qualifications for that at all. Go ahead, you can make a rescue right now. Think of a name, say that you take in Caucasian shepherds, make a website for it and tac it onto Petfinder. Don't be misled by rescue labels, they mean nothing.

Price is relative to age often, so puppies are expensive. However I would NOT buy a puppy at that price with none of the 'fixings'. At the very least, any shelter should be giving dogs out with an up to date Rabies (required by law in the US) and distemper (incredibly important for puppies, and for southern dogs, and especially southern puppies). Don't put too much emphases on the distemper shot and de-worming though; these things can be done without the help of a vet, and without a vet there is no official documentation so if you planned on taking the dog to a vet, you'd be required to do that shit again in most cases. It's also stupid cheap without a vet, maybe $50, because it isn't legally being tracked. You can get the shit at Tractor Supply and do it yourself now if you wanted to. Rabies DOES require a vet though. Another thing to look for is if they spay/neuter, or allow you to bring the dog back for spay/neuter. IMHO any shelter that doesn't S/N is NOT in it for the cause, and it's a HUGE bill that most people can't afford and why people go to a shelter first.
>>
So I'm looking at the site an I'll just list off red-flags I see

>no mention of 501(c)3 or even being Non Profit
This very well means the money is probably going to someone's new car. I mean, not the volunteers who work their asses off for what they assume is a good cause, but the owner of the 'rescue'

>They do not S/N, Microchip, or vaccinate for rabies
This is a concern because that's the whole point of an animal shelter; you're supposed to lessen the chances of dogs getting placed back into the shelter from illness or breeding or getting lost. I could understand better if they were on a shoestring budget, but that brings me to my next point

>$300 adoption fee
That's $300 for a puppy they received for free and received a single dewormer ($5) and distemper shot ($40), and not vet check up to see if the dog is actually healthy. There is no evidence that a vet actually sees these animals. It's one thing if they even gave people a voucher to a vet or to come back later to get it fixed but they don't, it's at the owner's expense.

>every single adoptable animal is a puppy
This is a huge red flag. I dislike puppy rescues because it's akin to a puppy mill but more cost effective. This is how it works; Over-crowded shelters are willing to give away any dog for free because it helps their live-release rate, it opens up a kennel, and that's one less mouth to feed. So the rescue gets puppies for free, do next to nothing for them like this rescue, then churns them out for a $250 profit by praying on people's emotions. They say they have all types of dogs, and take in cats and horses. I can see not always having horses but they should be at max capacity for cats/kittens at all times. They aren't though, because kittens don't make money. They also claim to keep mother dogs. I only see a single dog there that is 1 year old, and it's not even at that rescue! They are advertising for another rescue, probably in an attempt to look like they don't only take in puppies.
>>
>Written extremely poorly
Not a huge deal because people that run rescues are usually pants on head retarded, but it does show they are unprofessional, like most rescue owners. It's extremely difficult to read and honestly makes me not want to read it. They also word things like a dyslectic 4th grader, half the time I can't understand what they are trying to say. But again, that's not really uncommon

>"WHEN A PET IS IN FOSTER CARE UP NORTH AND THE TRANSPORT FEE HAS BEEN PAID IN ADVANCE. THE FEE IS THEN ADDED TO THE ADOPTION FEE."
This is your common scam on CL; pay for the transport of the animal and never get the animal. Unless they mean that you are paying for the transport of an animal you didn't transport, which is also Jewd as fuck. They are making a profit of $200 at least on top of donations. Which brings me to donations-

>donations are extremely misleading
Granted it's only misleading for literal retards, it implies that donating will help you pay for your S/N, Microchip, etc, when in reality it's to help the rescue pay for that stuff. But it also leaves a question as to why they have a donation button for S/N and microchips when they don't S/N or microchip? They could just not be making enough money.

>a fee just to send them an application
Money grab if I ever seen one. One could argue it's to filter out people who can't afford the pup, but I'd wager the $300 would do a better job than $10. This is just a money grab so every time someone even wants a puppy, they get cash for it without giving them the dog. If you have 5 people interested in a dog, that's $50 right there without the dog actually being sold yet.

I'm having a hard time understanding their transport and adoption process but if it's true that they don't let you spend time with the animal beforehand, that's not too good. You want to know if you like a puppy before adopting it for $300. It does sound like this because on the application you have 48 hours to confirm ADOPTION via email
>>
Oh god I just keep finding more

>YOU AGREE AT NO TIME WILL ADOPTED PET BE SURRENDERED TO A SHELTER, THAT ALL EFFORTS WILL BE USED IN AVOIDING THIS; INCLUDING CONTACTING THIS RESCUE TO ASSIST IN PLACEMENT.
This is saying you can't surrender the dog at their place again. Huge red flag. They know that people adopt puppies quick and get sick of them later, but they don't want to re-home older dogs because they are harder to adopt out at $300. This is basically a huge fuck you to adopters

They closed off reviews for the rescue on facebook so people can no longer write reviews, but on facebook and even on yelp it has pretty good reviews. I mean they deal with puppies, so you'd have to be absolute shit to get bad reviews. I'm not sure if you can delete reviews on facebook, I imagine you can't. So if you don't mind getting kinda scammed, I don't think you'll receive an unhealthy dog or not receive a dog at all. As far as rescues go though I think they are pretty shitty. But it's not like they are breeding the dogs, and they aren't unhealthy. It's just a little jewish
>>
>>2320625
>>2320616
wow, thank you for giving me a different perspective. we decided not to go with this puppy and we will wait until one we like ends up at a shelter in our state.
>>
>>2321346
Not either of those posters, but yay I'm happy you are opting out. That "rescue" looks very suspicious....I would be concerned with the health of the animal foremost. You really don't know what you are getting especially if you've never seen the dog. That place could have definitely been a well disguised puppy mill..

Anyway, contact the shelters close to you and let them know what your looking for. Visit the shelters as-well. You may just fall in love unexpectedly.
You can also look for a breeder. I've never adopted from a breeder so I don't know much about adopting from a "professional" one. I'm not sure what certifications they should have....I would look into it though if you really want a specific breed.
>>
I don't anything about that particular rescue but lots of them around me Wv, Ky, and Oh border transport their dogs North to other rescues and are legit. Any of the dogs that get put in foster homes before being transported are fixed first and have their shots. And I assume the ones that are pulled directly from the shelters and then transported north are fixed and given shots by the rescues that receive them. They don't just transport them directly to adopters as far as I know.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.