[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm thinking about moving out with my girlfriend, but I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: Kitten.jpg (20KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
Kitten.jpg
20KB, 500x350px
I'm thinking about moving out with my girlfriend, but I have a problem: she has a cat and I have allergies. Severe allergies that give me hives and sometimes even vertigo. I don't want to tell her that she can't bring her cat if we're going to get an apartment, especially because I'd never part with my own pets, but I also know that even a room a cat has been in is bad for my health. What do I do?
>>
>>2320273
dump her

cats should be a deal breaker anyway
>>
>>2320273
Wait until her cat dies before moving in together, or try to find an allergy medication that works for you.

There's not really any other options aside from splitting up.
Maybe she'd give up the cat. But in truth I wouldn't get rid of a pet for a boyfriend, and I wouldn't want to be in a relationship with someone who did.
>>
Maybe talk to her and see if she can leave the cat with with a friend or family member. I wouldn't want to date someone who would dump their pets at a shelter for a relationship that probably won't work out anyway.

Other than that, try different allergy meds. I know some peoples allergies go away/get less severe after long exposure to animals so it might be good for you.
>>
>>2320273
Acclimate yourself to the cat. It's going to take about three to five months, but basically, take an allergy pill every three days while wearing a shirt that has been rubbed on the cat. Do that for a few months, then slowly start being around the cat more and try to pet/hold it after a few months.

It's going to suck having allergies for a bit, but your body will build a tolerance and the allergy pills will help relieve the worst of it.

I get allergic to cats to the point of having an asthma attack, and this is how I acclimated myself to a stray kitten I found so I didn't have to put him back on the street. It only took my body about three months, and then I would just get some mild sneezing and itching.

I say about every three days for the allergy pill so it doesn't completely block your bodies immune system. You want to build up a tolerance, not just block it.
>>
>>2320335
>>2320340
This. It wouldn't be fair if she dumped an animal, but I also understand your health is involved. My brother, roommate and ex gf used to be allergic(or still is, just doesn't effect them anymore) but with time and medicine they were willing to try and it worked. Ex also went off to be a dog groomer despite being allergic to dogs too. You can start at your own place by borrowing an article of fabric the cat sleeps on. You will be miserable in the beginning. You will also want to avoid the cat getting in your face or putting your head anywhere it sleeps. Vaccuum a lot, wash sheets, have your gf brush the cat to lessen it.

It's something I'd at least try and talk to your gf about, and if it doesn't work then see how your gf feels about rehoming the cat. You shouldn't be forced to live with it either.
>>
File: Passepartout3.jpg (37KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
Passepartout3.jpg
37KB, 512x384px
>>2320340
You can't just post something like that but without your cat's pics.
>>
OP here. Thanks for all of the advice /an/ons!

She's actually not a huge cat person and ended up with the cat because of circumstances. It's a family pet more than it's her pet, but I didn't want to just ask her to leave the cat behind with her folks. It might be my best option because I'm afraid of taking too many risks with my allergies.

I've tried different allergy medications before because pollen allergies started giving me congestion that caused vertigo last year. Over-the-counter relief medications don't really do me any good, but a nasal steroid I was prescribed staves off the worst symptoms. I just know that my animal allergies are much worse than my issues with pollen, and I'm afraid of those vertigo symptoms returning when I have classes, because the room feeling like it's spinning makes it impossible for me to concentrate on anything.

I'll ask her how she'd feel about leaving the kitty with her family, and if she hesitates, I guess I'll look into building up an immunity.

Also, I've heard of people wiping their cats off daily with a specialized wipe that's supposed to remove the allergen protein from their fur. Does anyone know if this actually works, or is it bullshit?
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.